Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-08-2012, 09:19 AM   #1001
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Nah, Apple fanboys are a pretty special breed.

Anyways, off topic.
The fan droids are catching up quickly though
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to edslunch For This Useful Post:
Jbo
Old 10-12-2012, 10:46 AM   #1002
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

It's always interesting to see how everybody beyond the tech realm reacts to the things that get tech folk such as us riled up. Looks like in a survey of 4000 customers, 90% of people claim to have had no issues with Apple's Maps app, and only 3% cite it as a "big problem".

http://www.techvibes.com/blog/90-of-...ant-2012-10-12

Reminds me a bit of antennae gate. Everybody got bent out of shape about it (even Apple fans), but when the numbers were revealed, it didn't look like the majority of people seemed to care or even realize there was an issue.

I can only speak for myself, but in my usage of Maps around Calgary I haven't noticed anything glaring. The biggest issue I ran into was replicated in Google Maps.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Russic For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2012, 11:48 AM   #1003
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

I updated my 3GS, and have been trying to use the new Maps at every opportunity.

Zero issues for me, but I wouldn't call myself a heavy user.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:01 PM   #1004
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
It's always interesting to see how everybody beyond the tech realm reacts to the things that get tech folk such as us riled up.
It's all about the page views and advertising.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:16 PM   #1005
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Now... what y'all wanna do?
Wanna be ballers? Shot-callers?
Brawlers -- who be dippin in the Benz wit the spoilers
On the low from the Jake in the Taurus
Tryin to get my hands on some Grants like Horace
Yeah livin the raw deal, three course meals
Spaghetti, fettucini, and veal
But still, everything's real in the field
And what you can't have now, leave in your will...

It's all about the page-views, baby
It's all about the page-views, baby
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 03:31 PM   #1006
TopChed
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
It's always interesting to see how everybody beyond the tech realm reacts to the things that get tech folk such as us riled up. Looks like in a survey of 4000 customers, 90% of people claim to have had no issues with Apple's Maps app, and only 3% cite it as a "big problem".

http://www.techvibes.com/blog/90-of-...ant-2012-10-12

Reminds me a bit of antennae gate. Everybody got bent out of shape about it (even Apple fans), but when the numbers were revealed, it didn't look like the majority of people seemed to care or even realize there was an issue.

I can only speak for myself, but in my usage of Maps around Calgary I haven't noticed anything glaring. The biggest issue I ran into was replicated in Google Maps.
It hasn't caused me any problems really, but I have definitely noticed it being worse than Google maps. The few times that I've tried using it, its told me to go through vehicle traps to cut between communities. Also, a search for "Spruce Meadows" leads me to somewhere just outside of Denver. And when I looked for a golf course outside the city (forgot which one), it again sent me to the wrong location, when Google found it with fewer details.

Last edited by TopChed; 10-12-2012 at 03:45 PM.
TopChed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 02:12 AM   #1007
sun
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

So what's the general verdict on the colour choice?

I finally looked at the 5 today instore and definitely like the looks of the black one more. No question there. But all of the black models were scratched. Especially where the phone connects to the dock. Looked awful. I've got a few nicks and scratches on the aluminum on my 4, but it's not really noticeable since it's not black.

How are everyone's phones holding up? Does the black look awful over time? I am philosophically opposed to using a case, so keep that in mind.

Side note: I thought they felt way too light. Plasticy. Prefer the feel and look of the 4. Oh well.
sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 06:07 AM   #1008
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

I think my black looks fine. It hasn't been dropped or abusd like a store demo would be, mind you that kind of surprises me as I can be somewhat clumsy from time to time.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
sun
Old 10-21-2012, 06:48 AM   #1009
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun

I finally looked at the 5 today instore and definitely like the looks of the black one more. No question there. But all of the black models were scratched. Especially where the phone connects to the dock. Looked awful. I've got a few nicks and scratches on the aluminum on my 4, but it's not really noticeable since it's not black.

How are everyone's phones holding up? Does the American awful over time? I am philosophically opposed to using a case, so keep that in mind.

Side note: I thought they felt way, too light. Plasticy. Prefer the feel and look of the 4. Oh well.
Too light seems like a crazy complaint to me. Being lightweight shouldn't equate to feeling cheap.

Posted from Calgarypuck.com App for Android
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 10:36 AM   #1010
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun View Post
Prefer the feel and look of the 4. Oh well.
I tell myself this too whenever I compare my 4 to my wife's 5. I think it's Stockholm syndrome - sympathizing with your tormentor.

Kidding aside, I do like the feel of the glass back better than the aluminum, and I also appreciate the chunky, solid lines of the steel band on the 4 as opposed to the 5's aluminum.
sun
Old 10-21-2012, 01:11 PM   #1011
sun
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Too light seems like a crazy complaint to me. Being lightweight shouldn't equate to feeling cheap.

Posted from Calgarypuck.com App for Android

I can see the point of a lighter laptop. I just don't "get" lighter phones. I like the feeling of something substantial in my hands. It's not weighing down my pants or anything.
sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:17 PM   #1012
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun View Post

How are everyone's phones holding up? Does the black look awful over time? I am philosophically opposed to using a case, so keep that in mind.

Side note: I thought they felt way too light. Plasticy. Prefer the feel and look of the 4. Oh well.
Felt light to me for a day or two as well - you'll probably get over it quickly. Now the 4 just feels bulky.

I baby all my gadgets - my iPhone5 goes from hand to pants pocket and nowhere else, except to charge, where it sits on a microfiber headphone case.

It's got about a dozen "nicks" in the bezel that few would notice but me, and it drives me crazy. The only thing I can even think of that would have caused it is my wedding ring, but like I said I'm very careful with it. Very light, unintentional contact with the ring at most. I do not think it will hold up well over time.

MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:55 PM   #1013
kyuusei
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Yeah, nicks on the edges of the black iPhone 5 get noticeable after a while. I think both the black & white 5s look nice, but the nicks won't show on the white nearly as much. I don't mind cases, but I didn't buy one that covers ALL the edges... so I'm looking for a clear one that does :P

And yeah it's light but it doesn't feel cheap to me. You get used to it.
kyuusei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:20 AM   #1014
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nm

Last edited by MoneyGuy; 10-27-2012 at 11:18 AM.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:03 PM   #1015
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Having some problems backing up my iphone 5- hopefully someone can help me out. Worst case scenario I will restore my phone, but obviously hoping to avoid that- last successful backup is fairly old.

Anyways, iTunes is giving me the error message "iTunes could not back up the iPhone because an error occurred". The error message comes up immediately after I click "back up now".... does not cycle through and stop at 50% or anything- says it right away.

a few things I have already tried with no success-
Both phone and laptop are up to date. I have tried restarting both phone and laptop. Have tried backing up phone on 2 different MBPs- one 10.6 and the other 10.8- both give the same error message. Have tried deleting my old backups (backed up the back up first of course) as corrupt backup might have been causing problem. Have transferred and erased all of my videos and photos to laptop in case a file was corrupt. Have tried disk and permission repair on the laptop. Have tried resetting lockdown folder. And have tried creating a new account on my laptop and backing up with itunes in that account. Nothing.

I don't believe I have any new apps since my last backup, so don't think that is causing the problem.

Any help appreciated.

Last edited by Flabbibulin; 10-30-2012 at 04:08 PM.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 08:29 PM   #1016
TopChed
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Any chance you can backup to icloud?
TopChed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:17 PM   #1017
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

[QUOTE=Flabbibulin;3916204] Have tried deleting my old backups (backed up the back up first of course) as corrupt backup might have been causing problem. /QUOTE]

Did you delete the backups via iTunes preferences, or in Finder?
Old 10-30-2012, 10:50 PM   #1018
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

[QUOTE=sclitheroe;3916545]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabbibulin View Post
Have tried deleting my old backups (backed up the back up first of course) as corrupt backup might have been causing problem. /QUOTE]

Did you delete the backups via iTunes preferences, or in Finder?
Both. That seems to be the common solution for other people having this problem, but didn't work for me.

I'm thinking I must have a corrupt file or app.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:51 PM   #1019
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopChed View Post
Any chance you can backup to icloud?
Ya, haven't tried that. Will do tomorrow. Is it fairly straight forward doing a back up and restore via iCloud?
Old 12-12-2012, 02:55 PM   #1020
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have an unlocked iPhone 5 and have not bought a data plan. I'm currently month to month with Rogers (wifi and phone only, no data) but know that I can really bargain. I have two phones. Who should I look at and what kind of plan should I get? I'm looking at Virgin as they have good coverage and good plans. Any advice?
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote