Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2010, 07:42 PM   #181
First Lady
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnotherGuy View Post
My point being that you might a complainer rather than a fixer. That you have a low level of flexibility and understanding.

I was pretty tired of all of the election signs as well but I didn't phone 311 3 times in the few weeks that they were out. I knew that it would be over once the election was over.

Did you phone the candidate who owned the signs first?

What are some other reasons that you phoned 311? Did you talk to the people affected first?
My calls were for my own benefit. To clarify the sign by-laws, as there are 3 separate laws that are applicable and they aren't very clear.

As it was I got different answers and eventually a by-law officer called me back and was very helpful.

The only other time I recall calling them was about dog licensing (again, for my own benefit) this would have been in 2007.
First Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 07:49 PM   #182
mikey_the_redneck
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by First Lady View Post
I'll help you out. I've put a permanent link to this thread on my blog. In fact I will probably personally direct many people to this thread. I'm one of the few in this thread who's real name "is out there".
IMO your blog sucks...
mikey_the_redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 07:50 PM   #183
JustAnotherGuy
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
My calls were for my own benefit. To clarify the sign by-laws, as there are 3 separate laws that are applicable and they aren't very clear.

As it was I got different answers and eventually a by-law officer called me back and was very helpful.

The only other time I recall calling them was about dog licensing (again, for my own benefit) this would have been in 2007.
Ah. Okay. I see I was not clear in my original question. I meant how many times did you call 311 to file a complaint about somebody else for a bylaw violation. Which you answered already. The answer is zero. Good. I take back my negative opinion about you on this. :>)
JustAnotherGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JustAnotherGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2010, 07:52 PM   #184
First Lady
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAnotherGuy View Post
Ah. Okay. I see I was not clear in my original question. I meant how many times did you call 311 to file a complaint about somebody else for a bylaw violation. Which you answered already. The answer is zero. Good. I take back my negative opinion about you on this. :>)
No worries. I can see how that would be a natural assumption based on this thread.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:54 PM   #185
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey_the_redneck View Post
IMO your blog sucks...
Charming.
photon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 08:02 PM   #186
First Lady
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey_the_redneck View Post
IMO your blog sucks...
Not enough pictures for you?
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to First Lady For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2010, 08:08 PM   #187
theonlywhiteout
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Heyoooo!
theonlywhiteout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 08:20 PM   #188
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
If you were to post a picture of yourself wearing a bikini holding a big gun, he'd probably be interested.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2010, 08:32 PM   #189
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:

pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 08:52 PM   #190
HPLovecraft
Took an arrow to the knee

Exp:

Quote:
And your point being?

Nice exaggeration. All the same, yes, I can be a bit of bulldog....

I'll help you out. I've put a permanent link to this thread on my blog. In fact I will probably personally direct many people to this thread. I'm one of the few in this thread who's real name "is out there". I don't post anything I wouldn't be willing to say or repeat in public. Can you say the same?

And thanks to Locke for a balanced and knowledgeable response.
Quote:
The Great Tax Evasion Debate

Standing for what you believe in isn't always easy. I bring a very high set of ethics to everything I do and live my life in that regard as well. So it was that this stance led to a debate on one of my favorite forums, CalgaryPuck. Thread is permanently linked here for your reading pleasure. I post under the name of "First Lady". Enjoy.
A real hero we got here. A true example of virtuous behavour standing up for your beliefs in the rough and tumble world of the internet.

I can tell you're a politician. My BS-o-meter went up a couple of notches just reading that.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:55 PM   #191
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrusaderPi View Post
I'm pro tax avoidance though.

The Brick approach to taxes.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 08:56 PM   #192
First Lady
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
If you were to post a picture of yourself wearing a bikini holding a big gun, he'd probably be interested.
Thanks, I've been looking for new avatar ideas.
Old 11-04-2010, 09:20 PM   #193
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks, I've been looking for new avatar ideas.
<- Jane Morgan glamorizes violence!
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SebC For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2010, 10:06 PM   #194
puckluck
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPLovecraft View Post
A real hero we got here. A true example of virtuous behavour standing up for your beliefs in the rough and tumble world of the internet.

I can tell you're a politician. My BS-o-meter went up a couple of notches just reading that.
Edit: I'm not going to pile on.

Last edited by puckluck; 11-04-2010 at 10:09 PM.
puckluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 05:59 PM   #195
Mr.LOL
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starfishy View Post
I really hate tax evasion. Given that I actually pay my taxes and realize that the more money that goes into the pot into which my taxes go, the more likely it is I will see tax relief down the road.

BTW, I was also very surprised how many people on here think that somehow "screwing the government" is not really a crime. I am often amazed how people think that tax fraud doesn't affect them. Just remember that every time someone doesn't pay there taxes the rest of us are left forking the bill.
It's incredible how foreign of a concept this is to so many people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
That's a really good solution.

I don't think anybody has said that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by puckluck View Post
I couldn't care less. Good for them if they find a way to screw the government.

Many have tried and many have failed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post

I think the most likely scenario is the guy was getting a deal on his rent because he was paying with cash. He denies this of course, but usually in this sort of arrangement the guy paying with cash will save a little as an incentive to pay with cash versus other methods of payment. In this case, he's just as culpable from a moral perspective as the guy ripping off the government, which makes him a complete and total a-hole for even contemplating calling the CRA.

If he wasn't getting a break on his rent, it's likely the landlord is paying his taxes as there is not one single shred of proof to the contrary, which makes him a complete and total a-hole for even contemplating calling the CRA.

Uh-oh, I believe that I've seen a thread here that you are in direct violation of sir, I might have to RAT YOU OUT!!!! but then again the threat of you, some 65 year old man and my landlord tossing me out out on the froont lawn is to much to bear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulkrogan View Post
First Lady, you have no idea how rental properties work apparently.

The ONLY way you can pull it of to hide from taxes you should be paying is if you're living in there yourself.

Otherwise you go and sell a property that isn't your permanent address and you're going to have to pay capital gains. Guess what happens when you file for capital gains on a property you've owned for 10 years and never filed any taxes for? Audit time. Oh, and suggesting someone just wouldn't file for capital gains is also silly. They find out pretty easily about that.

The biggest thing you're overlooking is one of the very few benefits of a rental property can be the fact they are a tax write off because you are almost always bleeding cash on the stupid effing things. If somehow you are actually cash flow positive its not going to be much. Not nearly enough to justify the risk of not paying tax on it.
Small update for the curious, I have spoken with the other people living here and he collects 3500$ (CASH) a month. He also has a room that he keeps but never stays in. Also to his character the landlord is a dreaded oilfield worker! I should also mention the 3 people who are not oilfield workers in this house are totally undisciplined slobs who can't clean up after themselves.
Mr.LOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 07:41 PM   #196
JustAnotherGuy
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.LOL View Post

Small update for the curious, I have spoken with the other people living here and he collects 3500$ (CASH) a month. He also has a room that he keeps but never stays in. Also to his character the landlord is a dreaded oilfield worker! I should also mention the 3 people who are not oilfield workers in this house are totally undisciplined slobs who can't clean up after themselves.
Not curious about this kind of stuff. I am curious if you are going to man up and stick to your principles or just talk about them here.
JustAnotherGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 08:19 PM   #197
algernon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
he collects 3500$ (CASH) a month. Jealous? Who cares if he collects 75,000 rupees (CASH) a month?
Quote:
I should also mention the 3 people who are not oilfield workers in this house are totally undisciplined slobs who can't clean up after themselves.
Not only should he go to jail, he should be raped for putting you through such hardship. Living with slobs...wow. Just wow. You must have been held against your will. I mean, as a grown up (I assume) you wouldn't have stayed on to such a horrible situation unless some meany forced you, right?
algernon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to algernon For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2010, 10:03 PM   #198
Ramsayfarian
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
It's incredible how foreign of a concept this is to so many people.

Uh-oh, I believe that I've seen a thread here that you are in direct violation of sir, I might have to RAT YOU OUT!!!! but then again the threat of you, some 65 year old man and my landlord tossing me out out on the froont lawn is to much to bear!

God, you sound like such a priss.

I can't believe you've been talking to your roommates about this. You do realize that they're going to tell the landlord everything. This is their way of getting rid of that a-hole roomie. That person being you.

I've heard what they do to snitches up north. I don't want to go into to many details, but let's just say it involves freezers big enough to hold a man and gas powered industrial wood-chippers.

I wouldn't even waste time packing.
Ramsayfarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 10:08 PM   #199
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

I hate to be the one to break this to you, but you have to know it.... you're "that guy".
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 02:21 AM   #200
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

You know the 'crazy person on the bus?' You know he's there because you can see it in the eyes of your fellow passengers, but you just cant pick him out of the crowd?

Its because he's you.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote