cupofjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cupofjoe For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2018, 07:25 AM   #22
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anybody getting a OnePlus 6?

https://www.oneplus.com/ca_en/6

My wife has the OnePlus 5 and loves it, and I've been nursing my phone along since 2014. When it entirely craps the bed I will probably pick the 6 up.
Old 05-18-2018, 08:32 AM   #23
Iceman90
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The OnePlus 6 looks like a very nice phone. Worth the pickup for sure.

With all the phone innovation and changes recently, I am very curious to see what the Pixel 3 brings.
Old 05-18-2018, 09:40 AM   #24
cKy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW99 View Post
Anyone know of a mileage tracking app that lets you lets you do quick manual entries? All the ones I've looked at are automatic with GPS. A spreadsheet may be better at this point lol.
A few guys here use MileIQ to track their mileage. looks like you can add manual entries on their dashboard

https://support.mileiq.com/hc/en-us/...to-Add-a-Drive

cKy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cKy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2018, 01:26 PM   #25
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat View Post

My wife has the OnePlus 5 and loves it, and I've been nursing my phone along since 2014. When it entirely craps the bed I will probably pick the 6 up.
Yah I'll be buying it. I was originally going to go with a Xiaomi Mi 7/8 whatver it would be when they released it, but theres not enough news. Then looked at huawei Mate 10 or P20, but they are way too much $$ for a crap ROM and no support really. So OP6 it will be next wednesday!
Old 05-18-2018, 03:42 PM   #26
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat View Post

Ya I am going to order one when they become available next week. Time to retire my Nexus 5.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 03:13 PM   #27
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Not sure if you guys saw but if you pre-order a LG G7 ThinQ you get a 43" 4K LG TV free. No idea on the specs and stuff, but might be a good thing for anyone who wants one. This applies to preorders until May 30

https://lg-promotions.com/ca/en/pages/g7tvgift/home
Old 05-20-2018, 09:08 AM   #28
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

Lava red 5T or else I would have sprung for the 6
Old 05-21-2018, 09:43 PM   #29
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman90 View Post
The OnePlus 6 looks like a very nice phone. Worth the pickup for sure.

With all the phone innovation and changes recently, I am very curious to see what the Pixel 3 brings.
To which innovation and changes are you referring? I have a Galaxy S7 and am due for a hardware upgrade, but I haven't seen any innovation in the last two years.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 11:37 PM   #30
Iceman90
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The biggest aesthetic changes have been the trend towards no bezels, which we've seen a lot of talk over the manifestation of that with the notch on so many high end phones.

Under the hood, most of the big innovations have been around AR and how well processors can handle it now, as well as the usual incremental hardware updates.

I too am on a Galaxy S7 currently, and waiting to see what we see from phones in the second half of this year. I think the Pixel 3 is poised to really lead the way with some big innovations - hardware and software - that I think we will all be excited for. I think the Pixel 3 will lead a 'new generation' of Android devices that will be very impressive.
Old 05-22-2018, 07:45 AM   #31
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman90 View Post
The biggest aesthetic changes have been the trend towards no bezels, which we've seen a lot of talk over the manifestation of that with the notch on so many high end phones.

Under the hood, most of the big innovations have been around AR and how well processors can handle it now, as well as the usual incremental hardware updates.

I too am on a Galaxy S7 currently, and waiting to see what we see from phones in the second half of this year. I think the Pixel 3 is poised to really lead the way with some big innovations - hardware and software - that I think we will all be excited for. I think the Pixel 3 will lead a 'new generation' of Android devices that will be very impressive.
Okay, I view all the above more as iterative than innovative. Basically every phone has been shrinking its bezel for the past 20 years. The S7+ had no side bezel over 2 years ago, so that's not an exciting feature in 2018.

I haven't seen anything crazy in AR. I don't know anybody that thinks turning their face into an emogi is cool. The new A-class Mercedes uses AR in a cool way for navigation, but I haven't seen anything like that on a smartphone yet: https://youtu.be/yEUr0MpwcXY. Sorry, I don't know exactly where the AR demo is on this, but if you have time it's a good video if you like tech in cars.

I think smartphone innovation has stalled. The improvements seemed magical for awhile. AI out of nowhere. Wireless charging seemed like SciFi. Cameras have been awesome for at least five years. Cloud storage. Google photos. Waterproof phones.

Nothing has got me excited over the past couple of years whereas usually it feels like I'm rolling around with a rotary phone by the time it's two years old.

I think folding smartphones are the next obvious feature that would be innovative. Let me have a big screen, but a small profile in my pocket.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 07:41 PM   #32
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

So did anyone else pull the trigger this morning on the Oneplus? I picked up the midnight black 256gb with red silicone case. Now to see how long it gets here, no priority shipping option
Old 05-22-2018, 08:00 PM   #33
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
So did anyone else pull the trigger this morning on the Oneplus? I picked up the midnight black 256gb with red silicone case. Now to see how long it gets here, no priority shipping option
I ordered a 128gb midnight black with a sandstone case. Standard shipping. DHL says it'll be here by end of day tomorrow so we'll see.
Old 05-22-2018, 08:32 PM   #34
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cDnStealth View Post
I ordered a 128gb midnight black with a sandstone case. Standard shipping. DHL says it'll be here by end of day tomorrow so we'll see.
Hmm, I never got a shipping notice, just an order notice.

Edit: just checked and mine just says shipper received order info, and won't be dispatched until tomorrow. Est deliver May 29
Old 05-22-2018, 08:42 PM   #35
jeep991
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:

Edit: just checked and mine just says shipper received order info, and won't be dispatched until tomorrow. Est deliver May 29
I ordered the midnight black 128 gb this morning. Account page shows delivery May 23, so that's awesome.
jeep991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 08:56 PM   #36
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

I ordered mine right at 8 AM and I actually received a text from DHL saying it had shipped. I'd be a little surprised if it made here tomorrow but even if it takes a few days then I am glad I decided against paying for priority shipping.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:05 PM   #37
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Maybe the 256's are just coming from a different spot, or being picked after. Who knows, I was clicking the order button after the timer ran out so I was pretty quick too
Old 05-22-2018, 09:07 PM   #38
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Maybe the 256's are just coming from a different spot, or being picked after. Who knows, I was clicking the order button after the timer ran out so I was pretty quick too
Could be. A friend of mine also got a 128 and both of ours shipped out of LA.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:03 PM   #39
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

I really want to pull the trigger on this but I'm waiting until I can get the otterbox for it.
indes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 12:03 PM   #40
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by indes View Post
I really want to pull the trigger on this but I'm waiting until I can get the otterbox for it.
Our work phones have otterboxes on them and I hate them. I can understand why we do, I mean we break stuff all the time, but for the average consumer I can't understand why you would take a nice phone and put it in a savage case like that. I've used minimalist cases for years, and I have not broken a phone, and they've fallen out of my pocket, between seats, gone camping, been kicked, etc.