Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2017, 07:01 AM   #101
Par
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame19,289 View Post
NHL Tonight did a run-down of the top 10 goalies in the league and then included a list of "5 for the future."

Parsons makes the future list at #5:

Very nice to Tyler Parsons getting mentioned and he is younger than the other goalies on that list?
Par is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 07:46 AM   #102
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Par View Post
Very nice to Tyler Parsons getting mentioned and he is younger than the other goalies on that list?
Raanta is 28
Forsberg is 24,
Vasilievsky is 23
Saros is 22
Parsons is 19.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2017, 08:08 AM   #103
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wrote in the "is this team a cup contender" thread that I thought they were a contender, though not a favourite with goaltending as is. If Parsons is truly worthy of being compared to Quick as in that video, that would definitely move the Flames into candidacy for being the cup favourites.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 10:48 AM   #104
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
I wrote in the "is this team a cup contender" thread that I thought they were a contender, though not a favourite with goaltending as is. If Parsons is truly worthy of being compared to Quick as in that video, that would definitely move the Flames into candidacy for being the cup favourites.
But the thread was talking about currently or the near future, Parsons would be a few years out, no?
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 11:08 AM   #105
Par
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
Raanta is 28
Forsberg is 24,
Vasilievsky is 23
Saros is 22
Parsons is 19.

Thanks Itse, I did not have the time to do that, it will be interesting to how Parsons and Gillies develop.
Par is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 01:02 PM   #106
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
But the thread was talking about currently or the near future, Parsons would be a few years out, no?
Yeah, my meaning is more that should he live up to this hype, and with the other key young players the Flames have now, they could be cup favourites when he eventually joins. Quick was 22 when he entered the league, so was Matt Murray. Three years to five years out the Flames could have other key players at their peaks as well, so throwing in an elite goalie could put them over the top.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnyB For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2017, 02:18 PM   #107
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

Auntie Rhonda was looking good there.
Old 08-07-2017, 02:24 PM   #108
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBI View Post
Auntie Rhonda was looking good there.
LOL. I was going to make a comment on the hilarious closed captioning.

Auntie Rhonda has a cat tattoo, apparently.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 02:40 PM   #109
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Definitely like what Weekes has to say in that video. Parsons being heaped in with those other four is quite the honor. I'd really like to hear what Kelly Hrudey has to say on this subject. I've always found him to be right on the money, especially on goaltenders. Weekes is no slouch in his critique of goaltenders for that matter, so this is still impressive.

For those that follow keeper leagues here's a couple of interesting links on goaltenders and who to select.

http://goaliepost.com/default.php?pa...on=1314&id=185

Gillies at 72 and Parsons at 100.

http://www.dobberhockey.com/hockey-h...s-spring-2017/

Gillies at 19 and Parsons at 38.

I really like Parsons and his potential, but I think Gillies is getting a bit of the shaft from the local fans. Is Gillies getting overshadowed by the shiny object syndrome at this point? Seems Gillies holds his own against some of the best goaltending prospects. Will be an interesting year for Flames goaltenders, for certain.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 03:42 PM   #110
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gillies was slightly outplayed by Rittich, but a slight dip was kind of expected given having missed more or less a year of development. This year is huge for him.

Are we now basically expecting Parsons to start the year in the ECHL barring an injury from another keeper?
Old 08-07-2017, 03:50 PM   #111
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
Gillies was slightly outplayed by Rittich, but a slight dip was kind of expected given having missed more or less a year of development. This year is huge for him.

Are we now basically expecting Parsons to start the year in the ECHL barring an injury from another keeper?
I think the only options would be ECHL or an overage Jr year
CMPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 04:02 PM   #112
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

ECHL is really the only league that makes sense.

Gillies and Rittich will both be fighting for the net in Stockton, so it doesn't make sense to have Parsons as a third stringer there (he'll get a chance if there are any injuries ahead of him in the NHL or AHL).

I don't know if the quality of competition is stronger in the ECHL than the OHL, but based on what Treliving and others have said, they seem to consider the ECHL a step up. If nothing else, having him in the ECHL gives the Flames access to him for coaching.
Old 08-07-2017, 04:08 PM   #113
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Definitely like what Weekes has to say in that video. Parsons being heaped in with those other four is quite the honor. I'd really like to hear what Kelly Hrudey has to say on this subject. I've always found him to be right on the money, especially on goaltenders. Weekes is no slouch in his critique of goaltenders for that matter, so this is still impressive.

For those that follow keeper leagues here's a couple of interesting links on goaltenders and who to select.

I really like Parsons and his potential, but I think Gillies is getting a bit of the shaft from the local fans. Is Gillies getting overshadowed by the shiny object syndrome at this point? Seems Gillies holds his own against some of the best goaltending prospects. Will be an interesting year for Flames goaltenders, for certain.

List lost all credibility at number three. Talbot 3rd?! Ahead of Murray and Bob?
Old 08-07-2017, 04:27 PM   #114
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

As you noted, these are for keeper leagues. And therefore fans should careful about extrapolating such lists for an understanding of NHL value or projection.
Because it is for fantasy purposes, there is some value placed on how close an asset is to delivering on that value. Plus there is value placed on the stats that generate fantasy points.

Generally I find fantasy lists to have little value outside of fantasy league play.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 06:01 PM   #115
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild GM View Post
As you noted, these are for keeper leagues. And therefore fans should careful about extrapolating such lists for an understanding of NHL value or projection.
Because it is for fantasy purposes, there is some value placed on how close an asset is to delivering on that value. Plus there is value placed on the stats that generate fantasy points.

Generally I find fantasy lists to have little value outside of fantasy league play.
Not disagreeing with what you're saying, but it is further information and perspective that some people have that follow the game closely. I've already posted the rankings from In Goal Magazine and The Hockey Writers, so if that is more your fancy that information is out there as well. I like Parsons a lot, but I want to make sure we don't get a little carried away. It wasn't that long ago that Gillies and MacDonald were the talk of the town, and hitting the pros exposed the weaknesses of one, and injuries slowed the other. Who knows what is in the future for Parsons and his road. I'm more of a wait and see how he does against men before going over the moon on a guy. Call me a skeptic if you like, but I've had my heart broken too many times over the years with big time junior players never quite living up to their billing, especially goaltenders. I really like the position the club is in, because I believe that out of the guys they have in the system that one will be a quality starter and another will be a quality backup in the NHL. Which one is which is up to the players and the opportunities they get.
Old 08-07-2017, 06:16 PM   #116
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Not disagreeing with what you're saying, but it is further information and perspective that some people have that follow the game closely. I've already posted the rankings from In Goal Magazine and The Hockey Writers, so if that is more your fancy that information is out there as well. I like Parsons a lot, but I want to make sure we don't get a little carried away. It wasn't that long ago that Gillies and MacDonald were the talk of the town, and hitting the pros exposed the weaknesses of one, and injuries slowed the other. Who knows what is in the future for Parsons and his road. I'm more of a wait and see how he does against men before going over the moon on a guy. Call me a skeptic if you like, but I've had my heart broken too many times over the years with big time junior players never quite living up to their billing, especially goaltenders. I really like the position the club is in, because I believe that out of the guys they have in the system that one will be a quality starter and another will be a quality backup in the NHL. Which one is which is up to the players and the opportunities they get.
I agree re. Gillies somewhat but McDonald never had this hype - in part because he struggled even in showcase events at the junior level.
Old 08-07-2017, 06:31 PM   #117
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

MacDonald came with enough hype. A Team Canada goaltender who was ranked highly by many of the publications. It was a toss up between him and Demko in their draft year as to who was the top goaltender. MacDonald had the hype, he just didn't adjust well when put up against the higher level talent. We'll see how he does this year, or if he quickly washes out and becomes the forgotten man.
Old 08-07-2017, 06:33 PM   #118
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
MacDonald came with enough hype. A Team Canada goaltender who was ranked highly by many of the publications. It was a toss up between him and Demko in their draft year as to who was the top goaltender. MacDonald had the hype, he just didn't adjust well when put up against the higher level talent. We'll see how he does this year, or if he quickly washes out and becomes the forgotten man.
Sure but in his draft + 1 year there were already questions emerging. Whereas Parsons has improved his stock 1 year later.
Old 08-07-2017, 06:42 PM   #119
savardandjokinen
son of looooob

Exp:

Another option is loaning Parsons to another AHL club who needs another goaltender (or loaning Gillies, Rittich or Mcdonald).

I'm gonna guess
NHL Smith, Lack
AHL Gillies, Rittich
ECHL Parsons, Mcdonald
WHL Schneider

But loaning may not be a bad idea
savardandjokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 07:31 PM   #120
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild GM View Post
Sure but in his draft + 1 year there were already questions emerging. Whereas Parsons has improved his stock 1 year later.
MacDonald had a rough World Junior tournament, but he bounced back and killed in the playoffs for an underdog team, kind of like Parsons did last year. No doubt Parsons is coming off a good season. Hopefully he doesn't miss a beat in the ECHL or AHL. I'd hate to see him get the Gillies or MacDonald treatment. People need to be patient with these kids because they are still developing. Goaltenders take time, so I hope everyone will be happy if he isn't starting for the Flames by Christmas. I mean, look at the disappointment showed in Gillies, or worse, the disappointment shown in Bennett. Parsons has a ton of potential, but it make take some time for him to make the jump. Goaltenders with better numbers have suffered similar challenges.