Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2017, 08:36 AM   #2401
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

That was a great episode. Everything moved along very quickly, but at the same time it is just build up for the more dramatic acts to come. This is still moving pieces into place.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 09:15 AM   #2402
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
The thing with any great fantasy novel is that the final act is never as rewarding as moving the pieces into place. Building the world and the mythology and expanding the show is so much more interesting than learning the outcome.

Despite that the torture of the sand snakes and Lady Tyrells deaths were brilliantly executed. These are the payoffs in a world that is no longer expanding. Celebrate the show for what it's doing well instead of complaining about the obligations it has to fulfill To End the story

I'm really liking the citadel scenes with Tarley. Did Tarley ever talk to Morrowmond about the night king?
I liked the interaction between them and how it was so much different than the interaction between Jon and Dany.

I'm fully expecting things to come to a head at some point where Jon and Dany will come to a conflict but Jorah returns to Dany's side and Tarley returns to Jon's and the two convince their respective leaders to co-operate with each other.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 09:25 AM   #2403
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is Jon Snow......... King of the North

habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 09:27 AM   #2404
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why didn't John just say "your family killed my family, the oath was broken long ago."
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2017, 09:40 AM   #2405
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post

Onion Knight delivers.

The real question is that even though Mellisandre left Jon in a bad way, she is trusted by Dany, all she needed to say was:

"Yeah, I gotta go because I burned a small child at the stake, mea culpa on that one. But before I go, I revived Jon Snow from the dead, so theres that, but also the Army of the Dead and the Night King are totally real things, so while he might sound like a raving lunatic hes totally not. Fair warning."

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 07-31-2017, 09:43 AM   #2406
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Why didn't John just say "your family killed my family, the oath was broken long ago."
Or: "Did you seriously expect me to honour an Oath from like a hundred years ago? Especially after your family slaughtered mine. Wheres the paperwork? Because I'm sure the 'in perpetuity' feature has an 'unless we betray you and kill you all' escape clause."

Old 07-31-2017, 10:09 AM   #2407
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post

"Daenerys Targaryen, Mother Of Too Many Titles"

http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/multi-f...-settle-258785
troutman is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2017, 10:25 AM   #2408
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
"Daenerys Targaryen, Mother Of Too Many Titles"

http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/multi-f...-settle-258785
Obviously that was done for the contract of Daenerys Targaryen Queen of A, B, C, D, E, F, G, H, I, J, K, L, M, O, P, Q, R, S, T, U, V, W, X, Y, and Z

Meanwhile Davos got off the epiclly dry "This is Jon Snow... he's King in the North."

On a side note, thanked as you quoted an old college buddy of mine (in fairness I was a bit older and better friends with his brother, but yay Myles).

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 10:43 AM   #2409
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike F View Post
But for everything else in between. . . . There's no heart in the show any more. I understand that Casterly Rock fell, that Euron's fleet again destroyed Dany's, and that the Lannisters took Highgarden, but it all happened so quickly, with no build-up or tension, that none of them had any emotional impact. Similarly, Sansa's reunion with Bran generated no emotion, though that may have been inevitable due to Bran's transformation.
Bran as the Three Eye Raven has become pretty messed up. What was the point of reminding Sansa about how pretty she looked on her rape night? He became the three eye raven to save the world and that's the first thing he could muster up instead of the dead are coming here's something you can use to defeat them.

What's Bran and Jon's reunion going to look like then? "That night you came back to life, your hair looked so nice Jon"
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 11:03 AM   #2410
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
So Dany has lost the Tyrell's, the Grey Joy siblings, the Dornish, the Iron Born who were loyal to the Grey Joy siblings, her entire fleet of ships and the unsullied are trapped at Casterly Rock.

Not exactly kicking butt over in Westeros. Cersei and Jamie are laying the blocks to her.
They are setting her up for a situation where she is forced into an alliance with Jon and the North. There's no way she can beat both Cersei and Jon's forces now. Tyrion and Melisandre are pushing things that way without explicitly stating to Dany that she has to form an alliance. Invading Westeros looks similar to invading the UK. Even if you have the superior force, getting a ground force intact onto the island is a separate challenge. Relying on Dothraki in an ice cold environment is likely to provide its own challenges too. They seem so superstitious that I could see them getting pretty disheartened as soon as they encounter a bunch of zombies. Their loyalty seems to be bases on Dany's ability to ride a dragon, and its already switched sides several times.

Pretty interesting episode overall. It was told in almost a past-tense narrative style. A pretty big departure from the typical action sequences. I can see why they did that for both budgetary and narrative reasons. There are bound to be so many clashes at this point that showing them all would get pretty tedious.

The Tyrell/Lannister scene could have been slightly longer and shown some kind of struggle though. I get that the Tyrell's weren't supposed to be great fighters, but a scene similar to the Unsullied/Casterly Rock scene showing a small back and forth would have been effective.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 11:14 AM   #2411
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
Bran as the Three Eye Raven has become pretty messed up. What was the point of reminding Sansa about how pretty she looked on her rape night? He became the three eye raven to save the world and that's the first thing he could muster up instead of the dead are coming here's something you can use to defeat them.

What's Bran and Jon's reunion going to look like then? "That night you came back to life, your hair looked so nice Jon"
I think that was just to show Sansa that he has the power to see all of that stuff. Proof that he has become the raven.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 11:30 AM   #2412
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I don't know whether I'm watching Game of thrones or the cut scenes to some half baked RTS game I used to play when I was a teenager. Brutal.
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 11:37 AM   #2413
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow, seems the masses have turned. Meanwhile I'm still anxiously glancing at the clock lamenting that only so many minutes of entertainment are left each Sunday night.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2017, 11:46 AM   #2414
ClubFlames
Posted the 2 millionth post!

Exp:

Not even Sam Tarly can cure the whining in this thread. Enjoying this season as much as the previous ones.

ClubFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 11:49 AM   #2415
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

HBO declares war on Game of Thrones pirates, but it may be a losing battle

More than 90 million fans pirated the season's first episode, says one source

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/hbo-...ming-1.4226959
troutman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 11:50 AM   #2416
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
Wow, seems the masses have turned. Meanwhile I'm still anxiously glancing at the clock lamenting that only so many minutes of entertainment are left each Sunday night.
It happens to every show. Mad Men and The Sopranos are two that come to mind. First they were critic darlings, then they were the "you have to watch this" show and then when they were on top it became cool to slag them all the time and talk about how they used to be good. Same basic trajectory most musical acts go through. .

Sometimes groundbreaking seasons that push a show to the top just set expectations that aren't realistic.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 11:50 AM   #2417
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Quote:

I'm pretty sure this article gets refreshed every season haha.
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 11:52 AM   #2418
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

As has been said before, one major step they could make would be to expand their GO platform.

Given the option I would happily give them my business directly than pay for the overpriced movie package in my cable bundle.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2017, 11:52 AM   #2419
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's the same in a chess game. It takes longer to set the pieces and once they're set, things go fast. I like the pace. I also like that there's much less fluff. Every scene has a purpose, save maybe the unsullied getting sullied I'm the bedroom.

Even Sam's storyline still has a few big kicks to get to. There's a lot they have to cram into the final four or five episodes.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 11:55 AM   #2420
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post

But isn't just bad writing or wooden acting. They are portraying him that way on purpose. He's overwhelmed by his new power that was thrust upon him before his training was complete. Think about all the crazy #### he's seen. His family murdered, sister raped, little brother killed. And that's all current stuff.

He's basically got PTSD. He doesn't even identify as Brandon Stark anymore. He's just the three eyed raven.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote