Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2018, 06:15 PM   #21
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boy Wonder View Post
Pretty much sums up everyones thoughts...

I still think that Bennett will need to get some time in the top 6 if thats what the organization wants him to become.

you can't develop him as a third line winger and then expect him to just become a 2nd line or top line player, he needs the TOI and linemates to truly have a fair opportunity to take the next step. It does seem like hes got better linemates wherever he's playing this year.

Also, treliving interview on the Fan this morning talked about bennett for a good 5-10 minutes and I really think Tre wants him more involved than just bottom 6. Sounds like if bennett is playing well, he will be given every opportunity to excel, and will be moved up and down the lineup as needed.
Bennett has to be a whole lot better to have any shot in a top 6 spot.
That's not the way it works, gifting guys opportunities they don't deserve. Or at least I hope meritocracy is a thing again.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2018, 06:22 PM   #22
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
Bennett has to be a whole lot better to have any shot in a top 6 spot.
That's not the way it works, gifting guys opportunities they don't deserve. Or at least I hope meritocracy is a thing again.
People say this kind of thing a lot, and I don't disagree. But I think a distinction needs to be made.

I agree that you can't just gift guys a job. And gifting jobs is something we regularly see up north.

But at the same time, I think it is important to give guys an opportunity to succeed. It doesn't mean give them the job, it means give them a chance. Put them in a position to succeed and see if they can run with it. Give them some time with better line mates, give them some PP time, or whatever. And see what they can do.

Watching Mangiapane get 8 minutes a night on the 4th line last year was completely pointless IMO.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2018, 06:28 PM   #23
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do not disagree with you.
Just saying that really, there is no top 6 in Calgary. It's top 9, with Backlund always drawing the toughest assignments and zone starts. So scoring line 1, scoring line 2, Backlund line.
I really don't think we see Bennett with Gaudreau and Monahan, so he either plays the tough assignments with Backlund or on scoring line 2, with some talent for a change.

If we are talking powerplay, I would love to see Bennett get some time there.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2018, 06:47 PM   #24
Monahan For Mayor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I don't see any chance in Bennett pushing someone out of the top 6. He isn't even close to Gaudreau or Tkachuk on LW. He isn't nearly reliable enough to take a center spot from Mony or Backlund. They didn't pay Neal to take a 3rd line spot. I see his only real chance of uptaking a top 6 spot is Lindholms spot, and I don't even see that as a real possibility.
Monahan For Mayor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Monahan For Mayor For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2018, 07:04 PM   #25
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahan For Mayor View Post
I don't see any chance in Bennett pushing someone out of the top 6. He isn't even close to Gaudreau or Tkachuk on LW. He isn't nearly reliable enough to take a center spot from Mony or Backlund. They didn't pay Neal to take a 3rd line spot. I see his only real chance of uptaking a top 6 spot is Lindholms spot, and I don't even see that as a real possibility.
I think Lindholm is actually the perfect RW for Bennett and Janko. Lindholm is basically another Backlund, but one who is also use to playing the wing. He will provide the defensive conscience for these two youngsters that Jagr, Brouwer and Hathaway could not. He will also give the line a face off advantage as a right shot to Janko’s left. Lindholm and Bennett are mostly playmakers and Janko has a great shot. I think they can be a great fit.

Frees up a guy like Czarnik to play with Tkachuck and Backlund too. Could have 3 legitimate scoring lines if Bennett, Janko and Czarnik develop as projected.
Old 09-10-2018, 07:33 PM   #26
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
At the risk of overstating it, Peters doesn't owe anyone in the organizations anything and he is wide open to seeing what Rittich and Gillies do.

To me, the bolded speaks specifically to Bennett. I don't see him being given opportunities based on where he was drafted.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 09:02 PM   #27
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
To me, the bolded speaks specifically to Bennett. I don't see him being given opportunities based on where he was drafted.
MacKenzie stated this quite specifically with reference to Gillies and Rittich. It may in practice extend to Bennett, but that is not how MacKenzie intended it when he said it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 09:11 PM   #28
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

It will be up to the current staff of course, but I had the sense that the intention was to groom Gillies to be a future #1 goalie and Rittich's future is likely that of a back-up. I imagine that both will see NHL games next season, but if the theory holds true, I expect that for development purposes, Gillies might be better off to be the #1 in the AHL so he can play a lot.

Not that a #1 goalie can't be groomed as a back-up first, but until injury hits, I expect that they will ride with Smith for as much as possible. The pessimist in me totally expects that Smith will go down at some point and Gillies will get the call and be given a chance to be the starting goalie ahead of Rittich.

Obviously it's just guessing and anything can happen. But as much as they imply that everyone is on even ground, the development aspect has to be considered.
Old 09-10-2018, 09:51 PM   #29
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
MacKenzie stated this quite specifically with reference to Gillies and Rittich. It may in practice extend to Bennett, but that is not how MacKenzie intended it when he said it.
Gotcha. Seems like kind of a dramatic intro to a comment about the backup goalie battle where the player with the higher pedigree is just a 3rd round pick. Not exactly a golden ticket. He could be implying that they could take starts from Smith but again, this organization has little invested in him either.

If the general concept holds true, seems like the former fourth overall pick is going to want to prove something in camp. Which is not to imply he is lacking in the give a crap department. I don’t think that’s been his problem but it does seem like adversity on the ice affects his focus.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 09:54 PM   #30
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Nope. But he'll be given opportunities based on his skill set and upside. And his skill set and upside got him drafted 4th overall. It's all related. His skill level, skating, physicality, determination, etc is all going to be pretty obvious to the new coaching staff based on how he plays in practice and games.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 10:15 PM   #31
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
It will be up to the current staff of course, but I had the sense that the intention was to groom Gillies to be a future #1 goalie and Rittich's future is likely that of a back-up. I imagine that both will see NHL games next season, but if the theory holds true, I expect that for development purposes, Gillies might be better off to be the #1 in the AHL so he can play a lot.

Not that a #1 goalie can't be groomed as a back-up first, but until injury hits, I expect that they will ride with Smith for as much as possible. The pessimist in me totally expects that Smith will go down at some point and Gillies will get the call and be given a chance to be the starting goalie ahead of Rittich.

Obviously it's just guessing and anything can happen. But as much as they imply that everyone is on even ground, the development aspect has to be considered.
Given their age, their level of experience, and their performance in both the AHL and the NHL I just don’t see much difference between Gillies and Rittich. I can see the point that the Flames have a lot more invested in Gillies to date, but I have to think that this is altogether secondary right now—especially if both goalies continue to look very similar in their continuing development.

I still believe that the best course of action for the Flames is to manage Smith’s starts through the first half. Treliving was on the radio this AM and basically asserted as much. I think the backup—whether Gillies or Rittich—will get a few more starts before January, and this will ultimately be the best thing for everyone involved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 10:20 PM   #32
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
I think the pressure is primarily on Peters and the players. Obviously if the season doesn't go well BT will be on the hot seat, but in the NHL now, most of the work gets done in the summer. He's delivered and improved roster - now the roster has to deliver. The pressure shifts from the GM in the off-season to the coach and roster in-season.
I think if this doesn't go well, Peters will end up being the last regime's coach under the next GM. Treliving has probably fired his last coach here.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2018, 11:32 PM   #33
Mattman
First Line Centre

Exp:

This finally feels like a year where we certainly have the talent as well as depth in the young guys knocking at the door to get their shot in the NHL.

Czarnik, Mangiapane, Dube, Klimchuck, Foo, Rychel, and to an extent Hathaway and Lazar.

If they are hungry enough, they will get their chance.
Old 09-11-2018, 09:44 PM   #34
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Agreed with everything McKenzie stated, except that I don't think they will miss Hamilton's offence as much as he thinks. Hamilton has a really nice shot, and his goal scoring proved it, but Giordano wasn't far behind, and I expect Giordano to have another uptick in his scoring this season. Hamilton I felt was a bit 'greedy' with his shot selection, and there were numerous times I saw Giordano wide open for a shot, only to have Hamilton rifle it into the opposing goalie's chest or off a player's shinpad.

If Brodie regains his form, I will say that this team not only will not miss Hamilton's presence, but the defensive corps as a whole will outscore last season's squad (assuming that Peters does go ahead with allowing the defence to be more aggressive like he stated he would).

Yeah, overall this team will miss Hamilton's ability to score, but as a whole, I think the defence will provide MORE offence than last year.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2018, 10:41 PM   #35
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree. The D contributed 40 goals and 146 points last year. I predict (and would bet) that they exceed both those numbers this year.
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2018, 11:45 PM   #36
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
I agree. The D contributed 40 goals and 146 points last year. I predict (and would bet) that they exceed both those numbers this year.
Not denying that it could happen.

How do you foresee it becoming reality?
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 09:54 AM   #37
TheoFleury
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

40 goals is a pretty big ask from this group imo.
TheoFleury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 10:00 AM   #38
robertsfanatic
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
agreed, you can count on about 20 from Gio and Brodie's pairing so they would just need 20 from the rest of the group combined.
Old 09-12-2018, 11:06 AM   #39
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Career Highs:

Mark Giordano 82gp 21g
TJ Brodie 81gp 11g
Noah Hanifin 79gp 10g
Michael Stone 70gp 8g
Travis Hamonic 71gp 5g

Juuso Välimäki WHL 43gp 14g and 60gp 19g the year before
Rasmus Andersson AHL 56gp 9g
Oliver Kylington AHL 62gp 7g
David Struch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 11:13 AM   #40
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbit View Post
Not denying that it could happen.

How do you foresee it becoming reality?
Wrote a lengthy answer and the site crashed. So now a condensed answer.

Individual predictions are pointless (injuries, who will be on the PP etc). I am more concerned about overall team production and style of play. And I think that Gulutzan's plodding, 5-man attack really handcuffed the offense last year.

Points from the D the last 4 years:

14/15: 45G 195P
15/16: 51G 203P
16/17: 44G 176P
17/18: 40G 146P

Someone that just looked at the stats would think the Flames' D was getting worse every year. But that wasn't the case, in fact if anything, it got more talented every year. Yet the production plummeted.

I expect that, with a more uptempo attack this year, and likely more offense overall, that the production from the D will get back on track. Perhaps similar to 16/17, with about 45G and 175P.

Which (along with his less than inspiring defensive zone play) is why I don't think the team will miss Hamilton at all.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post: