Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-25-2018, 09:20 AM   #341
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffnstuff View Post
Reading the twitter thread from that reporter, this would also have a big impact on bus schedules.
Don't busses operate mainly on collector roads?

I've yet to see what the City defines as a residential road and therefore what the possible impact of this would be.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 09:24 AM   #342
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Don't busses operate mainly on collector roads?

I've yet to see what the City defines as a residential road and therefore what the possible impact of this would be.
Administration has been directed to look at implementing this on collectors as well. For the city’s time estimate of 30 seconds to be accurate, it would need to be restricted to residential roads and only travel on them for about 600 meters
llwhiteoutll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 09:27 AM   #343
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
What kind of argument is that? Any human activity is about managing risk to a reasonable extent, not eliminating all risk.

Good lord.
The point is I don't understand why it's even necessary to lower the speed limit when it hasn't been an actual issue. How often are accidents occurring in residential zones that are 50?

For some roads and inner city communities, 40km or even 30km does make sense since the road can be fairly narrow, and it's safer to drive slower. But for roads that are plenty enough wide enough for parking lanes, and two lane traffic to comfortably go down at 50, there is no need to reduce the limit. There isn't an epidemic of people getting run over, or cars crashing into each other here.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joborule For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2018, 09:30 AM   #344
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
The point is I don't understand why it's even necessary to lower the speed limit when it hasn't been an actual issue. How often are accidents occurring in residential zones that are 50?

For some roads and inner city communities, 40km or even 30km does make sense since the road can be fairly narrow, and it's safer to drive slower. But for roads that are plenty enough wide enough for parking lanes, and two lane traffic to comfortably go down at 50, there is no need to reduce the limit. There isn't an epidemic of people getting run over, or cars crashing into each other here.
Exactly. I've known border collies that stop at intersections and don't run out on to roads. Not entirely sure what the problem is here.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 09:31 AM   #345
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Right, its like a City Council 'Make Work' project.

I am unaware that this has, in any way, been a serious concern for anyone other than maybe Mrs. Lovejoy.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 09:45 AM   #346
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
What kind of argument is that? Any human activity is about managing risk to a reasonable extent, not eliminating all risk.

Good lord.
That is an equally dumb retort. Transportation engineering is about logical action in response to actual statistics and known tendencies of driver behaviour, not implementing solutions that are seeking a problem. I go to school in a building with a bunch of civil engineers with combined centuries of experience in this field... not one of them thinks this is a good idea, more specifically the way the proposal came about and the planned implementation. I'll take their word over yours.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 10:09 AM   #347
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I don't have a problem with this, 50 is an ok speed but the issue was that commuters cutting through the nieghborhood are going 60-65 and that is too fast with all the kids on bikes and walking home from school. Taking it down to 40 will keep people at 50-55.

It would be ideal to enforce 50 but that would tie up a lot more police on this file.

Last edited by Flamenspiel; 09-25-2018 at 10:12 AM.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flamenspiel For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2018, 10:17 AM   #348
llwhiteoutll
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenspiel View Post
I don't have a problem with this, 50 is an ok speed but the issue was that commuters cutting through the nieghborhood are going 60-65 and that is too fast with all the kids on bikes and walking home from school. Taking it down to 40 will keep people at 50-55.

It would be ideal to enforce 50 but that would tie up a lot more police on this file.

You realize that that is not how it works right? Someone doesn't see a 50kph limit and decide to go 60kph. They drive the speed they are comfortable with based on the road. That's why arbitrarily setting a speed limit won't reduce speeding, the road design has to reflect the limit you want on it.
llwhiteoutll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 10:24 AM   #349
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

According to the City, about 1/3 of collisions are on these roads. Children are over represented as a cohort in injuries.
Old 09-25-2018, 10:33 AM   #350
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by llwhiteoutll View Post
You realize that that is not how it works right? Someone doesn't see a 50kph limit and decide to go 60kph. They drive the speed they are comfortable with based on the road. That's why arbitrarily setting a speed limit won't reduce speeding, the road design has to reflect the limit you want on it.
Partially true. People do slow down on playground zones, and average speeds do drop no matter what the road design. But you are right that the most important factor in behaviour is road design.
Old 09-25-2018, 10:38 AM   #351
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
That is an equally dumb retort. Transportation engineering is about logical action in response to actual statistics and known tendencies of driver behaviour, not implementing solutions that are seeking a problem. I go to school in a building with a bunch of civil engineers with combined centuries of experience in this field... not one of them thinks this is a good idea, more specifically the way the proposal came about and the planned implementation. I'll take their word over yours.
I work with traffic engineers everyday in my field. There is definitely a generational divide happening in the field in terms of questions on design speed, safety, speed limits, etc.

Younger engineers tend to feel that constraining the carriageway, ruducing lane widths, on street parking, street trees, curb bulbs that slow traffic result in a safer conditions for all users. Old school tend to believe that simpler, less constrained environments are safer, even though they induce higher speed.

In any event, I agree that speed limits alone, especially in really big streets have limited utility. Must be combined with design changes and calming measures. That’s why this motion ALSO points to this, not speed limits alone.

Last edited by Bunk; 09-26-2018 at 08:45 AM.
Bunk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bunk For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2018, 08:33 AM   #352
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by llwhiteoutll View Post
I'll concede thats is part if it, but road design is not always adequate.

Last edited by Flamenspiel; 09-26-2018 at 08:44 AM.
Old 09-26-2018, 08:39 AM   #353
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenspiel View Post
This is really just a comment on your own driving style.
Wrong. 85th percentile speed is an actual thing that traffic engineers take into account, hence the alleged measures that will be taken to reduce the design speed of the road. People in Druh's camp have already said lowering limits alone potentially has a negligible impact until you fix the road.
Old 09-26-2018, 08:40 AM   #354
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is this actually happening or are we just arguing about the possibility of the policy?
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 08:42 AM   #355
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
Is this actually happening or are we just arguing about the possibility of the policy?
Happening. Next is to determine 30 or 40, how to apply it, and to exactly what roads. Q4 2019.
The Following User Says Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2018, 08:46 AM   #356
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Happening. Next is to determine 30 or 40, how to apply it, and to exactly what roads. Q4 2019.
Well, only if Council approves the final recommendation on what and how. They did endorse a reduction in principle, however. But things change.
Old 09-26-2018, 08:47 AM   #357
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Wrong. 85th percentile speed is an actual thing that traffic engineers take into account, hence the alleged measures that will be taken to reduce the design speed of the road. People in Druh's camp have already said lowering limits alone potentially has a negligible impact until you fix the road.
As I said above, road design is not always adequate. I am not going to concede that people ignore limits, thats absurd and not very clever. Anyway, enough said, we will agree to disagree.
Old 09-26-2018, 08:48 AM   #358
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:

The point of lowering the limit is more to change road design. You can’t change the road design specifications until the limit is lower. That’s what I think the ultimate reason for this is.
Old 09-26-2018, 08:53 AM   #359
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Speaking as a developer - I'd love to see further changes in the residential (and especially collector) road standards for new neighbourhoods. Narrower carriageway is cheaper to build. Or at least I can put the spending into space that actually creates value for the community such as street trees instead of excessively wide pavement that encourages people to speed through the neighbourhood. There's a good reason why homes on collectors are less valuable than those on quieter and lower speed streets.
Old 09-26-2018, 09:09 AM   #360
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

What a shame, this is such a waste of time and money and focuses on the most irrelevant issue with drivers in this day and age.

Speed kills, there's no denying this. But there are a plethora of circumstantial factors that are far more serious or significant than just the speed on the dashboard.

Distracted driving is out of control, rampant, disgusting and I'd wager we all see it every day nearly causing an accident or two on your daily commute every day. I see 5-6 significant scenarios a day myself and until that changes this 50 vs 40 debate..... frankly is a joke.

Cell phones, combing hair, eating food with 2 hands, doing makeup, reading a book/news paper, smoking, I see it all every day. These people drive like idiots 90% of the time speed limit or not and these are the people causing accidents in record numbers not the people doing 50 vs 40.

I cant even stand to listen to some of the ward's representatives anymore, they beat this agenda of death and child safety in residential neighborhoods and completely ignore the obvious #1 cause of accidents over the last few years.

I can almost guarantee in 2-3 years this reduction on the limit will fail to mitigate any impact on collision injuries and deaths if reported correctly. Over 80% of the accidents we see today involve distracted driving AND speeding, I'd sooner step onto the road at a crosswalk in front of a car doing 60 in a 50 paying attention vs a car doing 40 in a 40 and texting on their phone.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Royle9 For This Useful Post: