Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-07-2018, 04:58 PM   #1
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:
Default Calgary Shopping & Retail Developments Thread

I looked and we have threads on new architectural developments, restaurants, and neighborhoods (Kensington) but (unless I'm blind) we don't have a thread on local shopping deals, experiences, etc. or retail developments.

I sense a lot of change is going on, I never really bought into the online shopping is hurting retail but I am noticing it now. Did anybody notice that H&M closed 50% of their stores in Calgary? This was one of those ubiquitous retailers that I thought would be strong no-matter what but suddenly both Market Mall and Sunridge locations closed and some older press releases claimed online shopping was hurting their business. I wonder if Crossiron, Downtown and Chinook might close eventually. Market Mall was supposed to be a stalwart of Canadian shopping by metrics alone. Maybe I'm old-fashioned but I still like physically visiting stores and seeing new things. I'm still disheartened by the collapse and condensing of so many retailers into Wal-Mart, Costco, and Superstore combos and hardly anything else in between.

There's a lot going on at Chinook Mall as well as it looks like Cadillac Fairview has decided the whole early 2000 mall aesthetic has got to go and they are renewing huge segments of the mall - in my memory it feels like we just got the "New" Chinook Mall a few years ago but now I realize its been 20 years.

New Horizon Mall, the new Asian supermall in Balzac opened up in the spring but is anything there yet? I heard rumors there would be a Daiso and other places there. I'm still surprised this thing opened. Is there actually demand in Calgary to sustain such a thing?
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 05:03 PM   #2
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
I looked and we have threads on new architectural developments, restaurants, and neighborhoods (Kensington) but (unless I'm blind) we don't have a thread on local shopping deals, experiences, etc. or retail developments.

I sense a lot of change is going on, I never really bought into the online shopping is hurting retail but I am noticing it now. Did anybody notice that H&M closed 50% of their stores in Calgary? This was one of those ubiquitous retailers that I thought would be strong no-matter what but suddenly both Market Mall and Sunridge locations closed and some older press releases claimed online shopping was hurting their business. I wonder if Crossiron, Downtown and Chinook might close eventually. Market Mall was supposed to be a stalwart of Canadian shopping by metrics alone. Maybe I'm old-fashioned but I still like physically visiting stores and seeing new things. I'm still disheartened by the collapse and condensing of so many retailers into Wal-Mart, Costco, and Superstore combos and hardly anything else in between.

There's a lot going on at Chinook Mall as well as it looks like Cadillac Fairview has decided the whole early 2000 mall aesthetic has got to go and they are renewing huge segments of the mall - in my memory it feels like we just got the "New" Chinook Mall a few years ago but now I realize its been 20 years.

New Horizon Mall, the new Asian supermall in Balzac opened up in the spring but is anything there yet? I heard rumors there would be a Daiso and other places there. I'm still surprised this thing opened. Is there actually demand in Calgary to sustain such a thing?
Is that what it is? I thought it was crazy to open another massive mall right next door to Mallzac.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 05:08 PM   #3
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

I doubt there will be a Daiso in the asian mall. the largest until is like 800sq ft.
Johnny Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 06:10 PM   #4
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am thinking that the new mall will be a good place to get caoch purses and oakleigh sunglasses

I noted earlier this year that chinook seemed to be in a bit of an odd spot with a number of closed storefronts; but yet there are two places in the mall to buy $150 dollar white shirts
Old 08-07-2018, 06:19 PM   #5
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

The flooring at Chinook Centre is falling apart in a lot of places.

That mall gets heavy use. I used to work near there and it always seemed to have a lot of tourists.
Old 08-07-2018, 07:59 PM   #6
TurdFerguson
Franchise Player

Exp:

H&M is opening a pretty large looking location in south center mall. Not sure if that's related to the other closings or not.
Old 08-07-2018, 09:23 PM   #7
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
I doubt there will be a Daiso in the asian mall. the largest until is like 800sq ft.
There are several larger anchor spaces as well, it’s not just the small CRUs.
Zarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 09:53 PM   #8
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

I noticed there's a lot of work being done at Sunridge at the end where Zellers used to be. Are they expanding the mall there, or are they just doing work on the exterior/parking lot?
Old 08-07-2018, 11:28 PM   #9
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
I noticed there's a lot of work being done at Sunridge at the end where Zellers used to be. Are they expanding the mall there, or are they just doing work on the exterior/parking lot?
Market Mall best reinvented their Zeller/Target space by turning it into a two story Zara, a Sporting Life, and Home Sense (outdoor entrance only strange!)

Chinook turned it into Saks 5th Avenue but I find it kind of dark, uninviting, and nightmarish.

I don't think Sunridge has any prospective tenants and H&M just closed on that end as well (one of those cheap Urban clothing stores is going in to replace it). Most of the Zellers/Target is now a cheap furniture showroom place. They must make huge margins on the furniture to be able to pay the rent!

Speaking of dead retailers, still lots of abandoned Sears spaces all over.
Old 08-07-2018, 11:31 PM   #10
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
The flooring at Chinook Centre is falling apart in a lot of places.

That mall gets heavy use. I used to work near there and it always seemed to have a lot of tourists.
There's renos everywhere in the mall. Half the food court is closed right now and all the kitschy 2000s stuff like the merry-go-round and stuff are gone. As a bonus, I was able to find a patch in front of the bay where they opened up the floor and revealed the original orange bricks! Time warp!

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 08-08-2018 at 05:28 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2018, 12:10 AM   #11
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah when they added the ped overpass it took away a whole bunch of seating, so they made new a new area by covering up the lobby which meant they had to take away the metal dinosaur by the front entrance. Well that whole thing just looks bad so they’re redoing it. Also I think they really want some new food vendors in there, that food court is a license to print money. For god’s sake Arby’s is successful in there. Ew.
Old 08-08-2018, 12:17 AM   #12
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Northland Mall must be dying a slow death. About half vacant I would estimate? Even the food court has seen the disappearance of KFC and Taco Time, with no replacements (and this is all close to some schools).

North Hill Mall remains busy for some reason, and not for the shopping. Must be the medical offices.

Crowfoot is losing places like Montanas and Tony Roma's.

A mall was planned north of Calaway Park on #1. It was postponed, but may be on again?

I hear the plans for the stadium shopping centre are scaled back now too.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 12:33 AM   #13
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Northland Mall had a redevelopment plan approved by city council in 2016. I think they are not renewing leases because they plan to demolish parts of the mall.

I thought the plans might have been put in jeopardy when Whole Foods pulled out in 2017, but the tear down of the original McDonalds and the construction of the new McDonalds coupled with a lot of landscaping work around the McDonalds makes me think it might still be going ahead.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 06:25 AM   #14
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

That landscaping is a disaster. They have strewn boulders all over, presumably to try to prevent people from walking across medians. But come winter I can see people doing it anyway and mangling their ankles on slippery rocks. It also looks like trash now, and will inevitable look like utter garbage in 5 years when weeds are growing all over it. There are also way to many of them, and they are to big, eating into a lot of parking. I'm really not sure what they were thinking.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 07:18 AM   #15
RedHot25
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Northland Mall must be dying a slow death. About half vacant I would estimate? Even the food court has seen the disappearance of KFC and Taco Time, with no replacements (and this is all close to some schools).

North Hill Mall remains busy for some reason, and not for the shopping. Must be the medical offices.

Northland has always been hit and miss in terms of empty stores, I assume this was due to the proposed redevelopment. I agree it seems a bit more lately, so maybe the redevelopment is getting closer. I do laugh at that giant clothing place, however, it always seems to have periods where "everything must go" , "closing soon", etc and then nothing.

North Hill mall is a great mall I think, in that it seems to recognize what it is, who is nearby and what people need. It's a convenience mall. Sure, I could order my toiletries online, but why bother when I can pop into that mall and grab it, my jug of milk and fruit, and then maybe go to the doctor's too. Works very well I think with those condos attached to it, right on the train and SAIT is quite close by. Probably even get some minor convenience type spin off purchases from when something is on at the Jubilee.

As to crowfoot...will be interesting to see what happens. A lot of restaurants are gone - blech, that Montana's - and numerous other things +car dealerships, etc). Shanks is renovating, though.
RedHot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 07:20 AM   #16
RedHot25
Franchise Player

Exp:

Speaking of nw shopping, what is going on with Brentwood mall? What is the old Sears home store becoming? A lot of construction occuring on it...
RedHot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 07:24 AM   #17
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Is Westbrook Mall still renovating? Weren't they supposed to take over the old Ernest Manning space?

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 09:20 AM   #18
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll always have fond memories of Northland mall because it had an arcade. As a kid / teen of the 90's, I always knew which malls had what arcades. Wizards Castle at Market / Sunridge, Laser Illusions at Marlborough, Easy Street at Chinook. I forgot what the one in Northland was called. Think Southland had one too, but being a kid in the North, I rarely ventured that far south.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Yen Man For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2018, 09:27 AM   #19
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
That Montana's was disgusting. A horribly run restaurant. The Tony Roma's was okay, but had far too much seating (it used to be a Red Devil - which was also a terrible place to eat).

Quote:
A mall was planned north of Calaway Park on #1. It was postponed, but may be on again?
I saw a sign for the planned mall on my way to my RV storage, I swear it wasn't there before.
Old 08-08-2018, 09:30 AM   #20
zzibradleyizz
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
They are doing a big renovation to the existing Target space to prep for new retailers, it's been gutted on the inside already and they are expanding the mall to the SE corner where the parking lot was.
zzibradleyizz is offline   Reply With Quote