Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-07-2018, 07:47 AM   #101
colbym72
First Line Centre

Exp:

In high school I was super good friends with the Broncos radio guy, Tyler Bieber. No one was more passionate about coaching and talking sports than him. Huge Patriots, Roughriders and Red Wings fan. He always had the most obscure stats to tell you. This sucks

Last edited by colbym72; 04-07-2018 at 07:50 AM.
colbym72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 07:49 AM   #102
Hockey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Absolutely heartbreaking. My thoughts and prayers go out to them
Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 07:54 AM   #103
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/MattGourlie/stat...11622508822529

RIP Adam Herold, looked like he had a very bright future.

Last edited by dissentowner; 04-07-2018 at 08:01 AM.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 08:24 AM   #104
Chingas
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think that boomer sums up my thoughts the best.

https://twitter.com/user/status/982469763464028167

Last edited by Chingas; 04-07-2018 at 08:34 AM.
Chingas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chingas For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2018, 08:37 AM   #105
jschick88
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/982626561215156225
jschick88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 09:21 AM   #106
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is terrible news. Absolutely terrible.

Back in 2002 I was a passenger in a car accident and subsequently trapped as it burned. The driver survived, but another friend and colleague in the car died.

The whole thing flat out sucks on so many levels. There's waking up in the hospital a week later, but having over heard bits and pieces. Learning a friend died. Not even remembering who drove, so relief it wasn't you. Then there's the incredible support of family, but knowing that they are suffering in their own worst way - getting that phone call from the police, the days of coming to see you as you are. Then the slow change from anger to compassion and forgiveness with respect to the driver - an accident but some fault. He still lives with those memories.

So my thoughts are with the parents, siblings, all the relatives and friends. Look after each other. My thoughts are with the survivors of the crash, you will be processing this for the rest of your lives. Many will carry constant reminders of it - it took me years to regain the instant recognition that the reflection in the mirror was "me".

And for those that died. So sorry to hear you won't reach your goals, live your lives. So sorry your family and friends won't be able to see you grow up.
the2bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 09:33 AM   #107
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

An awful situation for everyone involved. I feel for everyone, but especially those who survived. Sometimes they are thought to be the lucky ones. Even if they heal 100% physically over time, it is very difficult for someone to handle being involved in such a crash where many others did not survive. It's just unbelievable to see that team photo and realize the half those people are no longer here.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 09:40 AM   #108
Flashpoint
Not the 1 millionth post winnar

Exp:

Thank you to everyone sharing their personal stories. It helps with the processing of unimaginable tragedy like this, and it is appreciated.

Oilers give up a pick and a player to take on 5.5 mil."
-Bax
Flashpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Flashpoint For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2018, 09:52 AM   #109
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
Any pictures of the intersection during the day available? If the semi driver ran a stop and killed a dozen kids this guy should never be free again. If he survived. Horrifying.
terrible tragedy...but unless the guy was drinking or something locking him up solves nothing and is ridiculous
Old 04-07-2018, 09:57 AM   #110
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Drivers life is forever altered. Unless the investigation proves he was guilty of a crime. No reason to bring out the noose and pitchfork and torches prematurely.

There's enough pain today. Just a godawful day for so many.
Old 04-07-2018, 10:05 AM   #111
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/982631641699860481
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MRCboicgy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2018, 10:15 AM   #112
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

First of all, I always hate thinking of what to say in these threads where massive tragedy happens, because somehow it can become all about me for example and that's not the intent.

The whole thoughts and prayer thing to me isn't really enough.

Its tragic to see families basically destroyed in a single moment, and young lives wiped out, I would hope that you would all look at your kids and brothers and sisters and moms and dads and give them a squeeze today, or if you're walking out the door in a rush that a grunt or perfunctory peck on the cheek is never enough, take the time to tell them how you feel, never leave the house angry or mad or in a huff, and in that way you can really honor these victims and their family. If you're 5 minutes late for an appointment be 5 minutes late for an appointment.

I wanted to add, please be really carefully when giving funds to a go fund me page, stick to names you know well and google the names involved or the go fund me, then give as generously as you can.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2018, 10:21 AM   #113
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by colbym72 View Post
In high school I was super good friends with the Broncos radio guy, Tyler Bieber. No one was more passionate about coaching and talking sports than him. Huge Patriots, Roughriders and Red Wings fan. He always had the most obscure stats to tell you. This sucks
Hearing Tyler Bieber, was one of the fatalities. I have no words.

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 10:28 AM   #114
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

heard a quick blurb about it before going to bed last night, but had no idea how devastating it was...

Terrible news this morning

best wishes to all those affected...
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 10:29 AM   #115
chummer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hearing the driver of the bus didn't survive.
chummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 10:36 AM   #116
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just horrific
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 10:50 AM   #117
Racki
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonkaupp View Post
I lost my father, my brother (best friend and business partner) and two very good friends in a plane accident just 5 weeks ago where my father was the pilot.

I’d never experienced anything even remotely resembling a tragedy beforehand. It has changed my view on these things and they certainly hit a lot harder than they had, the pain is truly immeasurable.
I'm so sorry for your loss. I know how you feel, and if you ever wanted to talk to someone that's shared your experience I would be happy to talk with you anytime.

When you've experienced something first hand this tragic the way you have - the way we have - when you see it happen again it feels more personal. A plane crash or a bus crash is supposed to be a story on the news about someone else. You never think it can happen to you.

This one seems to be hitting us all hard. It's because the hockey community is so tight. Many of us here came from families just like the one's involved in this accident. These are real people and real families. I can't shake the sick feeling, it's been with me all day.
Old 04-07-2018, 10:54 AM   #118
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

The depth of this tragedy is unfathomable.

Obviously the parents, sisters, brothers, aunts, uncles, cousins of those killed and injured.

Friends, girlfriends, billet families, fans who come to know these kids personally in these small hockey towns. Opposing players and coaches who likely all knew/played/coached some of these kids through the years.

A bunch of kids chasing their dreams. Nothing purer in the sports realm.

There really are no words to capture the sadness and grief.

Old 04-07-2018, 10:55 AM   #119
3thirty
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Condolences to all of the families, friends, teammates and anyone involved in this terrible tragedy. Thoughts and prayers.
3thirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 11:32 AM   #120
jschick88
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default He's actually a miracle': Father of Broncos player fought to help his son's teammates

Quote:
It was about 5 p.m. Friday when Myles Shumlanski got a 'hysterical' call from his son.

“The bus was in an accident,” his son, Humboldt Broncos player Nick Shumlanski, screamed into the phone.

Myles jumped into his vehicle and rushed to the scene, about a quarter mile from his home. He and his wife were the first, and to his knowledge only, family members to actually witness the tragedy that struck his son’s hockey team.

“As soon as I came,” he said. “I knew that it was a disaster.”

Nick came running over to him. He was one of only two kids who seemed able to walk. Some were stuck under debris, Myles said. Most couldn’t move. Everyone was in a state of shock.

Myles put Nick in the car and immediately went to work, along with passing motorists who’d stopped to help. “It was chaos,” he said. They held the kids steady and did what they could while they waited for emergency workers to arrive.
http://leaderpost.com/news/saskatche...sons-teammates
jschick88 is offline   Reply With Quote