Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-28-2018, 10:29 PM   #421
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Congrats to Roger. That was a fun finals with so many momentum swings. I also want to take back my comment about going to three sets. A 5 set match going for just over 3 hours was perfect.

In other news, as rumoured, Bernard Tomic will be taking a break from tennis to appear on the Australian reality show "I'm a celebrity, get me out of here". What a loser.
Old 01-28-2018, 11:03 PM   #422
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finally watched the men's final. Roger Federer is no doubt the greatest tennis player of all time, but he is also the greatest athlete of all time. Jordan, Gretzky, Brady, Ali, A Fraud, Woods can't touch him.

and finally eff off to Melbourne and their bushbirds calling! go to hell.
Old 01-29-2018, 08:15 AM   #423
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

it's now been 10 years since Djokovic defeated a mono-stricken Federer in the Aussie semis and his mother famously declared "The King is dead! Long live the King!"...sometimes the sports gods have a funny sense of humor.

but now after that amazing finish I have to go back to watching the Flames fumble through another string of power plays? blah...waiting for Indian Wells is going to feel like 5 years of hard prison time.
Old 01-29-2018, 08:45 AM   #424
Mango
Marshmallow Maiden

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
but now after that amazing finish I have to go back to watching the Flames fumble through another string of power plays? blah...waiting for Indian Wells is going to feel like 5 years of hard prison time.
Maybe this week's Davis Cup will perk your interest a bit? Vasek is going in with some momentum. Canada vs Croatia should be a good battle.

But I understand what you mean, wholeheartedly.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mango For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2018, 09:06 AM   #425
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
it's now been 10 years since Djokovic defeated a mono-stricken Federer in the Aussie semis and his mother famously declared "The King is dead! Long live the King!"...sometimes the sports gods have a funny sense of humor.

We truly are spoiled tennis fans. We got to see the 3 greatest Mens tennis players of all time, all in their prime, all battling it out event after event. It would be like in the NBA if Jordan's Bulls, Kobe's Lakers and Lebron's Heat teams all playing in the same season.

I used to hate Djoker, but now that he is struggling with injuries you can't help but feel bad for the guy. I have so much respect for Djoker and his game, the guy reached heights that no one else achieved and no one else ever will IMO. He held all 4 majors at the same time! That's freaking insane!! Tennis is much better when he is 100%, and I hope to see him return to form.......After the French, just in time for Wimbledon to block 21

I agree I can't wait until more tennis, the 2018 season is already shaping up to be great. Hope Rafa isn't too injured, he makes his return in 1 month at the Acapulco event.
Old 01-29-2018, 09:28 AM   #426
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
Maybe this week's Davis Cup will perk your interest a bit? Vasek is going in with some momentum. Canada vs Croatia should be a good battle.

But I understand what you mean, wholeheartedly.

It looks like Cilic is going to play after all, which surprises me after such a lengthy Aus Open run.

https://www.daviscup.com/en/draws-re...G-M-CAN-CRO-01

This matchup just went from pretty even, to very tough for the Canadian boys.
Old 01-29-2018, 09:39 AM   #427
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
Tennis is much better when he is 100%, and I hope to see him return to form.......After the French, just in time for Wimbledon to block 21
oh we're doing this now? fine, I hope to see him return to form...after Rome, just in time for Paris to block 17

in all seriousness though, I think it's time to say goodbye to the Big 4. aside from Roger kicking Father Time in the junk and Rafa transforming into the Clay Golem every spring, the combination of injuries and losing their intimidation factor means that we'll start seeing some very new names on these trophies in the near future. I maintain my bold prediction that at least one slam this year will go to someone under 25 years old.
Old 01-29-2018, 09:49 AM   #428
Mango
Marshmallow Maiden

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
It looks like Cilic is going to play after all, which surprises me after such a lengthy Aus Open run.

https://www.daviscup.com/en/draws-re...G-M-CAN-CRO-01

This matchup just went from pretty even, to very tough for the Canadian boys.
Definitely. When the tie was first announced, the assumption was that Milos would be ready. That changes things drastically.

Cilic is a dedicated Davis Cup guy. Unless he has a serious injury, he's always ready to represent Croatia. He'll be a big test for Shapo, but perhaps he can take advantage of any fatigue Cilic might have.

For the sake of Daniel Nestor, it would be awesome if Canada could advance.
Old 01-29-2018, 09:56 AM   #429
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
oh we're doing this now? fine, I hope to see him return to form...after Rome, just in time for Paris to block 17

in all seriousness though, I think it's time to say goodbye to the Big 4. aside from Roger kicking Father Time in the junk and Rafa transforming into the Clay Golem every spring, the combination of injuries and losing their intimidation factor means that we'll start seeing some very new names on these trophies in the near future. I maintain my bold prediction that at least one slam this year will go to someone under 25 years old.
Hahaha it's all in good fun. After the year Rafa had last year everything else is just gravy. After he was forced to retire from the French 2 years ago that was the low point in his career. Then to regain world #1 AND win 2 Majors these past 12 months have all been a dream for me, and I'm sure for Roger fans as well.

I still haven't seen anything from the young players that makes me believe in them. If someone under 25 wins a major this year the best shot will be the US Open. Thiem is the 2nd best clay court player in the world right now, unfortunate for him the best clay court player of all time is currently still playing at a peak level. Wimbeldon maybe if Milos is healthy he has a shot, but again, the greatest grass court player ever is still playing at a high level. I would like to see some young guys step it up, just hasn't happened yet. Maybe Shapo at the US Open?
Old 01-29-2018, 10:11 AM   #430
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mango View Post
Definitely. When the tie was first announced, the assumption was that Milos would be ready. That changes things drastically.

Cilic is a dedicated Davis Cup guy. Unless he has a serious injury, he's always ready to represent Croatia. He'll be a big test for Shapo, but perhaps he can take advantage of any fatigue Cilic might have.

For the sake of Daniel Nestor, it would be awesome if Canada could advance.
The doubles match will be huge, but assuming Cilic wins both his matches, we will need an upset win from Vasek over Coric to have any chance. I think Shapo can beat Coric, although there's a reason the Croats chose to play on clay.
Old 01-29-2018, 10:35 AM   #431
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
Hahaha it's all in good fun. After the year Rafa had last year everything else is just gravy. After he was forced to retire from the French 2 years ago that was the low point in his career. Then to regain world #1 AND win 2 Majors these past 12 months have all been a dream for me, and I'm sure for Roger fans as well.

I still haven't seen anything from the young players that makes me believe in them. If someone under 25 wins a major this year the best shot will be the US Open. Thiem is the 2nd best clay court player in the world right now, unfortunate for him the best clay court player of all time is currently still playing at a peak level. Wimbeldon maybe if Milos is healthy he has a shot, but again, the greatest grass court player ever is still playing at a high level. I would like to see some young guys step it up, just hasn't happened yet. Maybe Shapo at the US Open?
I doubt Milos ever makes a semi final or cracks the top 20 ever again. Shapavalov will pass him after Wimbledon.
Old 01-29-2018, 11:25 AM   #432
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
I doubt Milos ever makes a semi final or cracks the top 20 ever again. Shapavalov will pass him after Wimbledon.
I think it's pretty premature to write Milos off and to say he will never crack the top 20 again is bordering on ridiculous especially when he doesn't have a lot of points to defend in the 2nd half this season due to being injured last year. A couple of deep runs in some ATP 500 or 1000 events and he'll be right back in the top 20.
Old 01-29-2018, 11:39 AM   #433
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

the cutoff for top 20 is around 2000 points, which is achievable as long as you're going a few rounds deep in most of your entries. but I don't think we see Milos making a slam final again, nor the other members of his so called "lost generation", i.e. Dimitrov, Goffin, Nishikori, etc... the generation after them is about to catch up and pass, if they haven't already.
The Following User Says Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2018, 12:08 PM   #434
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_pinched View Post
I think it's pretty premature to write Milos off and to say he will never crack the top 20 again is bordering on ridiculous especially when he doesn't have a lot of points to defend in the 2nd half this season due to being injured last year. A couple of deep runs in some ATP 500 or 1000 events and he'll be right back in the top 20.
I'm just saying he is not very good and doesn't have the skills to improve his overall game. It's just one big serve. Kind of disappointing actually.
Old 01-29-2018, 12:32 PM   #435
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm just saying he is not very good and doesn't have the skills to improve his overall game. It's just one big serve. Kind of disappointing actually.
I guess we'll just have to wait and see - I will say I was disappointed in his fitness level at the Aussie Open, he's not blessed with speed to begin with, but he was looking quite lethargic in that match against Lacko. The biggest thing is he just can't stay healthy, he was making improvements both to his return of serve and backhand, but every time he appears ready to make a big move, he gets derailed by injury.
Old 01-29-2018, 12:38 PM   #436
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I'm sure legitimate slugs like John Isner, Karlovic, Querrey, Anderson would kill to have the resume Milos has but simply do not have the tools to do it. How many one trick pony servers like those guys make top 3 in the world and hold down a top 10 position for more than 3 years on tour? It is just flat out wrong to say he does not have one of the best forehands on tour along with a definite top 20 volleying game to go along with his serving.

He may never reach top 5 heights again as the style he has to play to do it is just not going to allow him to stay healthy, however, he will surely be back in the top 20 once he get's himself right. I can't think of most people not having him on a Wimbledon short list for the next 3-4 years simply based on his skill set alone.
Old 01-29-2018, 12:40 PM   #437
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still have faith in Milos to return to the top 10, it's not like there is a glut of guys who have shown they are ready.

But even if he retires tomorrow he is by far the greatest Canadian Men's single tennis player of all time. What he did for Tennis in this country has been nothing short of amazing.
Old 01-29-2018, 08:15 PM   #438
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

time for some tennis snek!

some comments...

- if Graf hadn't been plagued by injuries and motivation issues at the end (and also the emergence of another all-time great Seles), how much further could she have gone?

- Navratilova's decade long snek slumber is funny to look at

- women sure do get quite the head start on men, they're raking in trophies often before they can legally drink to celebrate

- I wonder who's going to retire first, Fed or Serena? the WTA is a perpetual mess, but is she really going to be able to pick up where she left off?
The Following User Says Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2018, 10:02 PM   #439
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can we please end the big four era talk? At this point it's more likely Stan will end up with more majors than Andy (primarily because Andy's career is likely never to be the same after the surgery). It's the big three, plus the tag alongs. I know Andy's been more consistent than Stan and has a better resume, but I think of it like this: You can choose Andy's best or the Stanimal to play a prime big three player. Yes, they likely both lose to the big three consistently, but the Stanimal can probably beat all three at least once out of five. I don't think Andy can.

I would also say the big three era is in flux, but there's still nothing from the younger generation that suggests they're to be taken seriously. Really this is the window for guys like Milos, Berdych, Goffin and others who've never won a major to cash in. Or for a guy like Cilic to add another major or two and make a claim for a HOF place. But I still feel once Novak gets healthy again, he won't dominate like he did before, but he should be the best player for the rest of the decade. I'm still hoping we get to see Fed against Novak in a major again.

As far as Milos goes, the injuries have derailed him, and yes he's never going to be a guy who dominates rallies, but he's certainly better than the anti-tennis players like Isner and Karlovic. I do think there's no doubt you'd favor Denis to win a major before Milos, but all Milos needs is two weeks and the draw to break his way. We just saw Rafa and Roger both get amazingly easy draws to major titles. I think he's still got a window till the end of next year, but staying healthy will be the key obviously.
Old 01-30-2018, 08:35 AM   #440
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tennis.Com is doing a top 25 Mens and top 25 Womens rankings for the past 50 years. They just started the countdown but already some big names on the list. Roddick is in at 25 and Stan the Man is in at 24 while Li Na is 25 and Wozniaki is 24 for the Womens. Will be interesting to see what they think the top 10 will be and where some more modern players will shake out. Assuming Roger and Serena will both be #1.
Closed Thread