Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-01-2018, 10:37 PM   #81
Reneeee
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
They called me on Wednesday. I can't remember when I signed up exactly so I don't know how much lead time they gave me. Might be worth it to call them in July if they don't reach out first
I just renegotiated my bill tonight with Shaw to beat what I have now based on a Telus offer (pm if you're interested in what I pay per month). They didn't ask to renew my 150 contract which also expires in July. Instead they knocked $35 off my total bill and come July my contract doesn't renew and I'm at my current price contract free without an increase in what they charge for 150. Easy win and I will be contract free in July.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Reneeee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Reneeee For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2018, 03:37 PM   #82
showtime
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reneeee View Post
I just renegotiated my bill tonight with Shaw to beat what I have now based on a Telus offer (pm if you're interested in what I pay per month). They didn't ask to renew my 150 contract which also expires in July. Instead they knocked $35 off my total bill and come July my contract doesn't renew and I'm at my current price contract free without an increase in what they charge for 150. Easy win and I will be contract free in July.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Did you phone them? I did the online thing and they told me the deal is $85 a month which is ten cents more then I currently pay as a thank you package hahaha.
showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 06:01 PM   #83
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

What is an acceptable range to get from your "Advanced" WiFi modem from either Shaw or Telus?

I've put up with shoddy WiFi from Shaw for years but recently decided I should probably expect better. I appear to get better reception from my neighbours WiFi than from my own connection. Am I being unrealistic to expect a WiFi connection in my own back yard?
kevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 07:04 PM   #84
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

the telus wifi booster pucks are getting decent reviews and feedback. but for me nothing beats good 3rd party routers. if you have a large home or theres a lot of wifi interference shaw and telus use pretty middle of the road stuff that just wont cut it. my orbi is so sexy i could never go back to isp default hardware.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 08:26 PM   #85
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Agree with White Out 403's recommendation of getting your own router. Call Shaw and have them put your modem/router into bridge mode, and it will become a plain old modem. Then you can have your own router handle the work, and it will almost always do a better job than anything Shaw will give you. I have had good luck with Asus.

A few other considerations:

- 2.4 GHz band has better range than 5 GHz, but is more prone to interference. My 2.4 network is usable in my detached garage at the back. The 5 is useless. Inside the house, however, the 5 GHz is the preferred band.
- Placement within your house. In the furnace room isn't ideal, but sometimes it is hard to find a place that has a coax/cat5 plug and isn't on full display.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 10:53 PM   #86
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Telus or Shaw eh?

Put your hand in a blender or the garburator?
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2018, 10:54 PM   #87
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Without going to a 3rd party router what is reasonable? Shaw claims whole house WiFi. I have a tech coming out next week and don't want to be too picky but at the same time I feel WiFi within the house or on the deck isn't asking too much, especially considering it's a 900 sq. ft. bungalow. I wouldn't even dream of having WiFi near the hypothetical garage we don't have.

I currently have the Shaw Hitron modem and I can get my full bandwidth in the same room 10 ft. away. However, one room next door I'm already down to 1/3 of the advertised bandwidth. In the kitchen, 20ft. from the router, I'm barely connected and on the deck 30ft. away I lose the signal.

My 5Ghz band doesn't work past the room the modem is in. To be honest, I always assumed it didn't work at all until testing things out tonight. I've always used the 2.4Ghz band because I could never connect to the 5Ghz. Turns out I never got my phone or laptop close enough to connect.

My modem isn't in a furnace room. It's in the living room on the main floor.
kevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 12:43 PM   #88
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Has anyone on a 2 year contract tried to renegotiate once the 1st year of really good pricing is up? My bill jumped from $79 to $136 for June. We are thinking about just cancelling the TV portion, but assuming I'll have to pay the $20/month penalty.
woob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 05:05 PM   #89
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
Has anyone on a 2 year contract tried to renegotiate once the 1st year of really good pricing is up? My bill jumped from $79 to $136 for June. We are thinking about just cancelling the TV portion, but assuming I'll have to pay the $20/month penalty.
See my post up above. I cancelled about 5 months before my contract was up and they made me a very good offer
Old 05-28-2018, 08:36 PM   #90
Bend it like Bourgeois
Franchise Player

Exp:

Huh. People actually get 150 from shaw150?

I typically get about 60 and assumed everyone did as we all clogged the pipes.
Bend it like Bourgeois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 08:46 PM   #91
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

I usually get 170. Is that on wifi?
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 09:35 PM   #92
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Yeah I usually get over 150. Certain neighbourhoods could be slower during busy times if they don't have the proper hardware in place (which happens for any Internet connection regardless of provider).
Old 05-29-2018, 06:12 AM   #93
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

You also might to do a simple reset/power cycle of your Shaw modem/gateway occasionally to get the speed up to snuff.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 09:09 AM   #94
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
I usually get 170. Is that on wifi?
I can get 170 on WiFi with my Orbi routers almost anywhere in my home. 120 in my neighbors living room
Old 05-29-2018, 10:19 AM   #95
MrCallahan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I had a TELUS door to door rep drop by my place recently, makes me wonder if they are scoping out the area to determine if there's value in bringing their fiber into the area. I'd love to get the TELUS 150 Fiber plan, currently on the SHAW 150.

They must have hired students or something though, because they just pushed a simple script at the door "Did you know our 50mb plan is better than SHAW's 150 plan? since it's a dedicated link?" :|
MrCallahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 11:05 AM   #96
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCallahan View Post
They must have hired students or something though, because they just pushed a simple script at the door "Did you know our 50mb plan is better than SHAW's 150 plan? since it's a dedicated link?" :|

That's been their line for years. "But if your neighbour is watching Netflix, your internet will be so sloooooooow." Not much else they can do to compete with 150 until they get fibre to these neighbourhoods, so they've got to play that angle.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 11:26 AM   #97
wooohooo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The Telus reps are so shady around here (Edmonton). They signed up my sister in law even though they didn't sign anything. Happened to a few other neighbors in that area.

They kept knocking at my door at 8 PM when I was trying to put my baby down. I never answered the door but boy do they bang hard. For those reasons I refuse to go with Telus.
wooohooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 10:43 AM   #98
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
That's been their line for years. "But if your neighbour is watching Netflix, your internet will be so sloooooooow." Not much else they can do to compete with 150 until they get fibre to these neighbourhoods, so they've got to play that angle.
And again TBH the week I had telus, there was literally no difference. There are no slowdowns with Shaw. I've never had a single crowded hub issue. I can speed test any time of day and its always the same
Old 05-30-2018, 08:50 PM   #99
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
And again TBH the week I had telus, there was literally no difference. There are no slowdowns with Shaw. I've never had a single crowded hub issue. I can speed test any time of day and its always the same
I have the same experience. I have not come across a day where I have been sub 160.
Old 05-30-2018, 09:41 PM   #100
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
I can get 170 on WiFi with my Orbi routers almost anywhere in my home. 120 in my neighbors living room
I have Orbi too and they are fantastic mesh systems.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote