Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2018, 10:37 AM   #1881
MrCallahan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffporfirio View Post
Will tag on here, also looking for an electrician for about a 1hr worth of work, just to run some wiring from a Ring security camera
Will send you a PM with the guy I was eventually connected to through a CP user.
MrCallahan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrCallahan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2018, 05:19 PM   #1882
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you end up needing a sparky still send me a PM and I can put you in touch with a good buddy of mine who's a master electrician.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 01:10 PM   #1883
Shin Pad
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d00little View Post
I bought a house and the basement windows have been dug out and lined with wood, both the sides and bottom. Do I need to do anything to the wood in order to take care of it?

Do you mean an exterior wood window well? If so, hopefully they used pressure treated wood. If not, it will rot out. A surface applied wood preservative will only treat the inside surface - not the surface against the dirt. So, if it isn't pressure treated, you will have a problem down the road. If it is an exterior window well, then you don't want wood on the bottom, You should have gravel. Ideally, you should have a flexible drain pipe extending from the bottom of the window well, down to the weeping pipe at the footing level.

I have 2 window wells on my house. A few years ago when we had a huge rainfall, the window well filled up to the point where water was coming in under the window and into the house. It was a real mess to clean up. I had a hydrovac truck come in and hydrovac a hole in the window well, down to the weeping pipe and I installed a flexible pipe in the hole and backfilled the rest with gravel. I won't have that problem again.

Last edited by Shin Pad; 09-26-2018 at 01:14 PM.
Shin Pad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 07:28 AM   #1884
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Looking at installing floodlights over my driveway. It's dark when the sun goes down, and with the long winter months quickly approaching it would be nice to have.

My question: is solar the easiest way to go, how difficult is it to hardware into the house?

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 12:30 PM   #1885
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
Looking at installing floodlights over my driveway. It's dark when the sun goes down, and with the long winter months quickly approaching it would be nice to have.

My question: is solar the easiest way to go, how difficult is it to hardware into the house?
Solar is easiest, but it is very anemic and doesn't have the greatest lifespan once the batteries age in our cold.

I would suggest hardwiring in some pot-lights into the soffit. Shouldn't be too difficult assuming there is power to tap into nearby in the garage. Its a fairly common job for electricians.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 05:15 PM   #1886
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm asking a question in here finally! Does anyone have some unique ideas for garage shelving and elevated storage without breaking the budget?

In the garage there's currently 1 vehicle, 1 motorcycle, a tool chest, and a few other odds and ends. The garage is a standard double (so way too small). The only tricky items are 2 ladders and a small float tube for fishing.
Old 10-25-2018, 05:01 PM   #1887
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can anyone recommend a good residential boiler service guy/place?

My water circulation pump began leaking today, and the system feeder (whatever the hell that does) is acting wonky. This is not really my area of expertise, so figured Id call a pro.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 10:19 AM   #1888
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Spoilered for crazy size of the images.

Trying to adjust the limiter to let more hot water into the mix. I was just wondering if anyone here had an idea for the next step to get this handle off.

I am afraid to just pull on the thing until comes off. Do I need to unscrew the remaining part of the handle?

Spoiler!
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 10:24 AM   #1889
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

You could try taking the handle off. Is there an allen key bolt inside the centre, or something else in there?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 01:08 PM   #1890
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
You could try taking the handle off. Is there an allen key bolt inside the centre, or something else in there?

I don't think so but I will check again.

I took a screw out of the centre piece and there is no set screw I can find.

Maybe there is an allen key bolt beyond the screw.
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 01:25 PM   #1891
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ah, if you took a centre screw out already you may just need to wiggle the whole handle portion a bit to get it unstuck.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 11:29 AM   #1892
bob-loblaw
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
I'm asking a question in here finally! Does anyone have some unique ideas for garage shelving and elevated storage without breaking the budget?

In the garage there's currently 1 vehicle, 1 motorcycle, a tool chest, and a few other odds and ends. The garage is a standard double (so way too small). The only tricky items are 2 ladders and a small float tube for fishing.

I'd say it depends on how handy you are and how much time you have. You can't go wrong with building high shelves with 2x4's. I bought some good tire racks from Amazon so there's that.

I'm facing the same thing as we're moving next year and I'm going to have a way tighter garage.

Take a look at Pinterest as well because there's some pretty good unique and cheap ideas on there too.
bob-loblaw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bob-loblaw For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2018, 11:38 AM   #1893
bob-loblaw
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
Spoilered for crazy size of the images.

Trying to adjust the limiter to let more hot water into the mix. I was just wondering if anyone here had an idea for the next step to get this handle off.

I am afraid to just pull on the thing until comes off. Do I need to unscrew the remaining part of the handle?

Spoiler!

Is there an Allan screw underneath the handle at the back?

My showehead was leaking this year and it was the cartridge. That had to be the worst thing I ever had to replace. Unless you have the right tool to remove them it's impossible to take out without destroying it. Plus, Delta doesn't sell them to big box hardware stores. I had to buy a new shower set and remove the cartridge from it instead. I'm obviously not a plumber....
bob-loblaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 11:56 AM   #1894
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Was there a screw or bolt or something down the center of the shaft? It looks like some decorative end-cap was taken off?

It looks kind of old. Maybe there is a c-clip down there.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 05:15 PM   #1895
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob-loblaw View Post
I'd say it depends on how handy you are and how much time you have. You can't go wrong with building high shelves with 2x4's. I bought some good tire racks from Amazon so there's that.

I'm facing the same thing as we're moving next year and I'm going to have a way tighter garage.

Take a look at Pinterest as well because there's some pretty good unique and cheap ideas on there too.
I'm pretty handy so some rough ish woodworking isn't too hard. One thing I'm thinking is having overhead shelving with a drop down bar (like a closet). The bar would be for motorcycle clothes, fishing and snowboarding gear.

Oh man I did the move from a huge garage to one much smaller. If you dont already have one, I'd highly advise getting a shed.
Old 11-06-2018, 05:22 PM   #1896
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was going to change a few light switches in my house and the first one has no ground wire? Is that common? It wasn’t what I expected so I just put it back and left it as is, because I don’t want to mess with electricity. Any thoughts?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 08:20 AM   #1897
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lots of switches dont have them, mostly older. Its truthfully not a huge issue as the metal on the switch is in contact with the box which bonds it to ground. Having the ground wire is better but I wouldn't go replacing all your switches right away, just do it as needed.
The Following User Says Thank You to PaperBagger'14 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2018, 08:51 AM   #1898
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
Lots of switches dont have them, mostly older. Its truthfully not a huge issue as the metal on the switch is in contact with the box which bonds it to ground. Having the ground wire is better but I wouldn't go replacing all your switches right away, just do it as needed.
OK, but before I ruin things, do I just "ignore" the part where it says to attach the ground wire and wire the others as indicated? What I mean is nothing can go wrong doing it that way?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 09:06 AM   #1899
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does your new switch require neutral? Then attach the ground just to be safe. If you're replacing a switch that does nothing but interrupt the black wire, don't bother.
Old 11-07-2018, 09:18 AM   #1900
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
OK, but before I ruin things, do I just "ignore" the part where it says to attach the ground wire and wire the others as indicated? What I mean is nothing can go wrong doing it that way?
It's just a regular old switch and not a dimmer or timer right?

Wire everything up as indicated by the manufacturer, if there is no ground wire then install a ground wire using the back screws inside of the box. Follow their instructions and you'll be fine.
The Following User Says Thank You to PaperBagger'14 For This Useful Post: