Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-19-2018, 10:43 AM   #1721
Red Slinger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Sorry, didn't intend to trigger you with a gun reference.
Old 09-19-2018, 10:55 AM   #1722
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

So I guess we dont want a federally run dog liscencing program now, huh?
2Stonedbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 11:01 AM   #1723
Red Slinger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Stonedbirds View Post
No, that's not what I'm saying.

First of all, I never suggested a program be "federally run". That was your interpretation.

Secondly, I suggested that perhaps we should look at licensing identified dangerous breeds LIKE we do guns, in addition to mandatory training. Does that mean EXACTLY like guns or SIMILAR to guns. Would you step back from the ledge if I used to term "similar" instead of "like"?

Lastly, in this thread we are having a conversation about dog attacks and what can be done about them. I made a suggestion for further discussion. Don't worry, it hasn't been implemented by the Central Party yet.

Do you have any suggestions about how to deal with dangerous dogs besides "freedom" and something something guberment?
Old 09-19-2018, 11:05 AM   #1724
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Stonedbirds View Post
Liberal Long Dog registry

But what about people who don't turn over their dogs, and will criminals really start registering their banned breeds?
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 11:11 AM   #1725
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Slinger View Post
No, that's not what I'm saying.

First of all, I never suggested a program be "federally run". That was your interpretation.

Secondly, I suggested that perhaps we should look at licensing identified dangerous breeds LIKE we do guns, in addition to mandatory training. Does that mean EXACTLY like guns or SIMILAR to guns. Would you step back from the ledge if I used to term "similar" instead of "like"?

Lastly, in this thread we are having a conversation about dog attacks and what can be done about them. I made a suggestion for further discussion. Don't worry, it hasn't been implemented by the Central Party yet.

Do you have any suggestions about how to deal with dangerous dogs besides "freedom" and something something guberment?
Complain about not using the term "federally run".
Quote some jibber jabber about freedom and government.
Well done. Dont blame me for your piss poor ideas.
Old 09-19-2018, 11:14 AM   #1726
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
Liberal Long Dog registry

But what about people who don't turn over their dogs, and will criminals really start registering their banned breeds?
We should have dog free zones, and make the price of dog food so expensive no one will own any. Perhaps register dog food as well.
I thought if you banned something they disappear though?
The Following User Says Thank You to 2Stonedbirds For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2018, 12:38 AM   #1727
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
He makes a terrible point. Dogs have dozens of "uses". They literally save lives every day just by existing in their "useless" state. They may not warn of impending hyena attacks. But their instinct to live with us as companions is invaluable and irreplaceable. Jet skis are fun but notorious ankle breakers. Vending machines are useful but kill more people than sharks and dogs combined. Suggesting we should ban dogs cause they bite at a rate of zero significance it not good thinkin in my opinion. You'd save way more lives and limbs banning area rugs, televisions and blankets.
Lol I even said as cop/ milatary and service dogs they make sense . Dogs as pets don't make any sense any more outside those uses.

Please explain how they are irreplaceable? Ehat can they do that home security can't? Ehat can they do having friends/kids/ partners can't?

There is no reason to own any pet in 2018 that you cant eat. Same as any garden . If you can eat the garden it is useless.

Last edited by combustiblefuel; 09-20-2018 at 12:53 AM.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 06:23 AM   #1728
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by combustiblefuel View Post
Lol I even said as cop/ milatary and service dogs they make sense . Dogs as pets don't make any sense any more outside those uses.

Please explain how they are irreplaceable? Ehat can they do that home security can't? Ehat can they do having friends/kids/ partners can't?

There is no reason to own any pet in 2018 that you cant eat. Same as any garden . If you can eat the garden it is useless.
I'll assume you mean to say "can't". At the risk of going way off topic here, flowers you can't eat are still useful. They attract pollinators, which are needed for some of the food you eat. Others can deter unwanted pests from your food crop.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2018, 06:42 AM   #1729
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I could easily explain it but you won't get it. You're the guy standing in front of the Miro painting going "30 million! For that? My kid could do that with crayons". Pets add nothing to your life. Gotcha. Lima Charlie.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2018, 07:17 AM   #1730
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
If a narrow ban is the easy route, why not take it? In fact, take it multiple times until dangerous breeds are all gone
I doubt that would fix the problem, there are always cross/mixed breeds etc

Dogs will never be banned entirely

Therefore why not focus on the true issue which is training and education.

i.e. many parents smile while they allow their kids to run up to a animal and hug it, mean while the animals are terrified of kids.
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 07:24 AM   #1731
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

IMO it's going to be difficult to ban breeds. I just feel people need to make better decisions. If you have young kids don't get a Pit bull and if you have young kids and a relative with a Pit bull then let them know the kids will not be visiting and the dog is not welcome at your home. There are ways to prevent tragedies like this but it takes some common sense. I have a 30lb dog and I'm terrified when kids run towards him to pet him. I usually pull my dog away and go in a different direction. It's not that my dog is aggressive but he's an animal at the end of the day and they can be unpredictable when startled. The worst thing an owner can do is assume because his dog is gentle with people in the home that he is going to be gentle with everyone else. Be smarter as an owner and be smarter as a parent.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 07:29 AM   #1732
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Art is useless, architecture is useless, eating anything more than a nutritionally balanced paste is useless, vacations are useless, cars outside of commutes are useless.

Your argument boils down to anything that doesn't meet a basic need is useless. ANd even then their is some evidence that dogs and pets in general that you choose not to eat help prevent depression.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2018, 08:51 AM   #1733
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Like I daid outside of being a cop or service dog there is no real need to own a dog. Compaionship seems like a weak excuse. I have friends and live with my girlfriend.
I feel sorry for one who equates dogs to women. And your self confirming friends are probably as useless as a noseless dog, they just support your sense of self enough you don’t recognize it.
81MC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 12:56 AM   #1734
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
I feel sorry for one who equates dogs to women. And your self confirming friends are probably as useless as a noseless dog, they just support your sense of self enough you don’t recognize it.
My friends don't confirm 80% of my thoughts. I'm way more left than they are. We have a good time tho so we hang out.

I actually would say one who equates a dogs companionship for a humans is sad. You litterally have no one in your own species that can relate to you on your own intellectual line of thinking that you need to resort a lower life form who cant talk back and can't understand 90% of what you are saying talk confirming your own thoughta as a dog cant for you so your just doing it for them.

I feel sorry for any one who equates their dog to having a woman who can love and support them

Last edited by combustiblefuel; 09-23-2018 at 01:13 AM.
Old 09-23-2018, 12:58 AM   #1735
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF!;6793243[B
]I could easily explain it but you won't get it. [/B]You're the guy standing in front of the Miro painting going "30 million! For that? My kid could do that with crayons". Pets add nothing to your life. Gotcha. Lima Charlie.
Jesuus you actually used that excuse. Wow. Back up agaist a wall.
Old 09-24-2018, 11:57 PM   #1736
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I'll assume you mean to say "can't". At the risk of going way off topic here, flowers you can't eat are still useful. They attract pollinators, which are needed for some of the food you eat. Others can deter unwanted pests from your food crop.
Yes but adding those to a garden your growing for a crop makes sense and is helping your food source. A garden just full of non edible flowers makes no sense.
Old 09-25-2018, 06:26 AM   #1737
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yes but adding those to a garden your growing for a crop makes sense and is helping your food source. A garden just full of non edible flowers makes no sense.
Well we have a vegetable garden, and nearby a flower garden for the pollinators. Better to keep them separate, as they are perennials which would be a PITA in a veggy garden. So ya, we do have a garden full of non-edible flowers. And it makes perfect sense. It also helps with our fruit bushes/trees. Plus they look nice, which is good for property values AND keeps the wife happy, which is really a good enough reason on its own.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 09:33 AM   #1738
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Why do I get the impression you live in a house with a paved-over lawn, a 14 year old Toyota Camry parked out front, no ornaments or paintings inside, uniform beige carpet and furniture, and a TV always tuned to home maintenance or financial planning programming.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2018, 09:43 AM   #1739
longsuffering
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
II have a 30lb dog and I'm terrified when kids run towards him to pet him. I usually pull my dog away and go in a different direction. It's not that my dog is aggressive but he's an animal at the end of the day and they can be unpredictable when startled. The worst thing an owner can do is assume because his dog is gentle with people in the home that he is going to be gentle with everyone else. Be smarter as an owner and be smarter as a parent.
Or you could properly socialize/train your dog so it's not afraid or unpredictable when approached by excited children.

My 70kg newfie was trained to be gentle and friendly when meeting people of all ages. I wouldn't say he loved children but he learned to be patient and calm regardless. If he did feel nervous when a running, barking dog approached him, he would relax and 'stand down' with a voice command.
longsuffering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 09:46 AM   #1740
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by longsuffering View Post
Or you could properly socialize/train your dog so it's not afraid or unpredictable when approached by excited children.

My 70kg newfie was trained to be gentle and friendly when meeting people of all ages. I wouldn't say he loved children but he learned to be patient and calm regardless. If he did feel nervous when a running, barking dog approached him, he would relax and 'stand down' with a voice command.
Is it possible your newfie just has a mild disposition naturally versus you being a super wicked dog whisperer? I've never had a dog, so I honestly don't know, but I'd assume the nature of an animal would also play a gigantic role in how calm they are.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dog attack puppy barking