Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-19-2018, 03:05 PM   #1881
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

For the past 5 or 6 winters, I've been using Blizzak WS70's. They've been absolutely amazing but they need to be replaced this winter. I see WS80's are the latest offerings. Anyone have experience with these tires, any compelling reason to look at something else? These new Blizzaks are around $220 each.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 10:53 AM   #1882
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
For the past 5 or 6 winters, I've been using Blizzak WS70's. They've been absolutely amazing but they need to be replaced this winter. I see WS80's are the latest offerings. Anyone have experience with these tires, any compelling reason to look at something else? These new Blizzaks are around $220 each.
What kind of vehicle?

I went with the DM-V2 over the WS80 as they are supposedly designed for SUV/CUVs, and they worked great.

Got them from Costco when there was a sale, bought online, and booked online, was great.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 11:05 AM   #1883
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sorry, that would have been helpful to include.

It's an 05 Mazda 3.
Old 09-20-2018, 11:12 AM   #1884
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Blizzaks are overrated. There are better winter tires out there and most not as expensive not to mention Blizzaks get very noisy as they wear.

https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...old-war-page-2

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 09-20-2018 at 11:16 AM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2018, 11:13 AM   #1885
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

double post
Old 09-24-2018, 10:59 AM   #1886
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looking for dumb question winter tire advice for my 2016 Tahoe LT. I’ve never bothered getting winter tires but will this year.

Can you, in theory, put any size rim tire combo on your car or is there a certain spec you’re limited to? (Other than of course bolt patterns must match and the tire has to fit on the rim)

I’ve got 22” rims with all seasons. All winter tires that fit on that rim seem ridiculously expensive. Is there any performance downside to low profile winter tires on large rims? Would I be better off just buying smaller rims and tires?
Frequitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 11:00 AM   #1887
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looking for dumb question winter tire advice for my 2016 Tahoe LT. I’ve never bothered getting winter tires but will this year.

Can you, in theory, put any size rim tire combo on your car or is there a certain spec you’re limited to? (Other than of course bolt patterns must match and the tire has to fit on the rim)

I’ve got 22” rims with all seasons. All winter tires that fit on that rim seem ridiculously expensive. Is there any performance downside to low profile winter tires on large rims? Would I be better off just buying smaller rims and tires?
Old 09-24-2018, 11:04 AM   #1888
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

The big thing is making sure the circumference of the tire is the same, or at least within 1-2%. Otherwise there can be some mechanical issues, and also your speedometer will be off.
A tool like this might help:
https://tiresize.com/comparison/

What size are your current tires?
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2018, 11:05 AM   #1889
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

How much clearance in the wheel well would people say is the absolute minimum you'd accept during winter? I just swapped my winters onto my car, and unfortunately I wasn't able to adjust the coilovers enough to get the height I wanted. There's plenty of ground clearance but the wheels themselves aren't too far from the fender. I'm wondering whether I'll be able to get by once there's ice in the wheel wells or snow on the tires, or if I have to do a wholesale suspension job ($$$).
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 11:10 AM   #1890
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Blizzaks are overrated. There are better winter tires out there and most not as expensive not to mention Blizzaks get very noisy as they wear.

https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...old-war-page-2
I've always wanted to try a set of the Nokian Hakka Rs, but they're just so expensive! I find Bridgestones still the best deal when they're on sale at Costco, but I'm biased towards Bridgestones.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 11:29 AM   #1891
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
How much clearance in the wheel well would people say is the absolute minimum you'd accept during winter? I just swapped my winters onto my car, and unfortunately I wasn't able to adjust the coilovers enough to get the height I wanted. There's plenty of ground clearance but the wheels themselves aren't too far from the fender. I'm wondering whether I'll be able to get by once there's ice in the wheel wells or snow on the tires, or if I have to do a wholesale suspension job ($$$).
I only have an inch or so from the fender to tires. It’s been fine.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2018, 11:34 AM   #1892
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
I've always wanted to try a set of the Nokian Hakka Rs, but they're just so expensive! I find Bridgestones still the best deal when they're on sale at Costco, but I'm biased towards Bridgestones.
Blizzaks are a very good value when on sale at costco.

When they cost $220 a tire (as I was recently quoted, I live 6 hours from a Costco) they aren't such a great value.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 11:35 AM   #1893
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
The big thing is making sure the circumference of the tire is the same, or at least within 1-2%. Otherwise there can be some mechanical issues, and also your speedometer will be off.
A tool like this might help:
https://tiresize.com/comparison/

What size are your current tires?
That makes sense. My current ones are Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alena P285/45R22 110H M+S. Some online calculator tells me that means 32.1” tire height, which is 100.8” circumference.
Old 09-24-2018, 12:19 PM   #1894
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
I love my Hakka R2's. But then, I've also never tried anything else, so have no comparison point. But the Hakka's have me sold on the benefits of winter tires.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 01:17 PM   #1895
DionTheDman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madman View Post
Got them from Costco when there was a sale, bought online, and booked online, was great.
Need new tires and Kal-Tire will no longer honour lifetime seasonal tire swaps, so I'm going to go elsewhere. Does Costco do free changes if you buy from them?

If not, what places offer it for free if you buy from them?
DionTheDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 01:22 PM   #1896
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can anyone recommend a place for a dirt cheap wheel alignment? My old rust bucket could use one, but the winter tires are probably worth more than the car at this point, so I'm not keen on spending a whole lot on this POS.

Preferably NW or SW (north of Glenmore).

Last edited by Jimmy Stang; 09-24-2018 at 01:24 PM.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 03:28 PM   #1897
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DionTheDman View Post
Need new tires and Kal-Tire will no longer honour lifetime seasonal tire swaps, so I'm going to go elsewhere. Does Costco do free changes if you buy from them?

Costco does, but as discussed many times in this thread, it is such a pain to get in (some locations are 1st come 1st served) to do it this "benefit" is almost guaranteed to not be used.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 03:33 PM   #1898
jeffporfirio
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DionTheDman View Post

Just got a set of Michellin X-Ice from Country Tire on Edm. trail.
They were $40 more than Costco, but swaps are $10/tire if you buy from them.
It beats lining up at 7 am at Costco, plus if you work DT since its close, you can drop off and pickup after work.
jeffporfirio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 08:25 AM   #1899
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't believe Costco offers free seasonal swaps (either on rims or just rubbers), but they do free tire rotations.

Since they added appointments and ability to book online, it is a lot easier. The old "line up at ungodly hours" was so inefficient I would never buy using that process.

Ordering online and then booking online has been quite painless. I had one new set installed last week onto rims, and then another appointment in October for new winters on our van.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 06:43 AM   #1900
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

It looks like tonight is the night to do my changeovers in the garage. At least for the car with performance tires/pucks, but probably both.

I think that this is the first time I’ve done it before Thanksgiving.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote