Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2018, 06:17 PM   #81
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Beartschi went from a replacement player in Calgary to playing in the top-six and eventually the first line in Vancouver. Having a 35-point player on the top line is not great.
I was under the impression that is all we wanted out of Sam Bennett, a return to his rookie season numbers, 18 goals & 18 assists.
David Struch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 06:24 PM   #82
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Interesting to see Andersson played primarily on his off side, sure looks like they are testing a bottom pairing with Stone and Andersson and Kulak watching. Certainly slows down the need to move a body if so.

Thought the powerplay was brutal. I love Mark Giordano but they can't have him run the powerplay.

Agreed. They should have Gio hammering one timers from his off wing somehow, as opposed to running a PP unit. He’s so good at getting his shots through but doesn’t seem suited to being at the top.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 07:07 PM   #83
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Wasn't Brodie quarterbacking the PP last game and gio was positioned at the right circle which resulted in the tying goal?

Was half asleep but I'm guessing they swapped them?

Undo that ####. Undo it right now.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 07:12 PM   #84
Vox
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddy27 View Post
Oh, my apologies lol
No harm, no foul.
Vox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 07:38 PM   #85
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vox View Post
But he didn't defend Bennett. He volunteered his opinion that he stood out as one of the best players in those two games, which is the limited subject matter that was being discussed.
The point is Derek Wills is not a neutral hockey observer...according to him the team was full of great players having great seasons last year. Yet they missed the playoffs by 11 points somehow.

Troy Brouwer was often one of the "best Flames players on the ice" in his mind (a buyout by the very guy that signed him would suggest otherwise) He is too close to the team I strongly question his ability to evaluate player performances.

Anyone who suggests Bennett played better than Gio or Monahan in China is obviously trying very hard to cut the guy some slack. Bennett was okay...needs to be better, as do others.
Old 09-19-2018, 07:52 PM   #86
Trojan97
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
I was pleasantly surprised with Prout. I was expecting Anders Ericsson or Nicklaus Grossman type play but he’s a lot closer to Engelland. He wins his physical puck battles and keeps things simple.
I was reading a thread on Reddit recently where a fan of either Columbus/New Jersey (can't recall which at the moment) asked a Flames fan where they thought Prout would slot in. After hearing that Prout was likely a press box/first AHL callup type, this fan responded that they were disappointed to hear that as Prout was well liked by their fan base for the reliable/steady game he played and for his ability to slot in wherever/whenever he was needed. The fan thought he could potentially hold down a last pairing d-spot full time if needed.

I definitely saw alot of that in his game this morning. Curious to watch him continue. I definitely saw alot of similarities to Engelland as you said.
Trojan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 07:55 PM   #87
LostCatalyst
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I thought prout was fine. He didn’t make any glaring mistakes, and for an expected 6:7 dman with size what more do you want
LostCatalyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 09:34 PM   #88
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Struch View Post
I was under the impression that is all we wanted out of Sam Bennett, a return to his rookie season numbers, 18 goals & 18 assists.
That production from a third liner would be perfectly ok. The statement was about Sven getting that on the top line, which isn't ok.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2018, 09:44 PM   #89
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

How is goaltending not more of an issue?? Everyone wants to talk about Bennett for some reason. Bennett didn't win them the game but he didn't lose it either, I will openly say I have little to no confidence in Smith and it sucks because this looks to be the strongest team the Flames have had in years.

They need help in net and should do whatever it takes to upgrade asap
Old 09-19-2018, 10:19 PM   #90
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Outside of that second goal, which was one big pile of WTF, Smith was solid in net last game.

Sometimes we get burned when it comes to the Adventures of the Wandering Goaltender, but I think we can chalk that up to being slightly thrown off by the wider ice. It looked like he barely even knew where his net was that play.
Old 09-19-2018, 11:39 PM   #91
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
How is goaltending not more of an issue?? Everyone wants to talk about Bennett for some reason. Bennett didn't win them the game but he didn't lose it either, I will openly say I have little to no confidence in Smith and it sucks because this looks to be the strongest team the Flames have had in years.

It’s not an issue because a lot of us and Flames management does have faith in Smith. I don’t think they have a big need in net and I doubt Flames management thinks that either. Smith is a legit excellent #1 when healthy.

Perhaps your lack of confidence is Smith is what is questionable more than the Flames goaltending is questionable?
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 11:41 PM   #92
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

hard to blame a goalie playing his first preseason game in a rink he is not used to when your team only scores one goal. Smith was solid other than the gaff
Old 09-20-2018, 05:32 AM   #93
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

There has been a pattern over the past 2 years where there have been a significant number of instances of us dominating play only to have a total brain fart in goal leading to conceding.

There are at least two issues here. Firstly, we aren’t capitalising on our periods of dominating play. Also we are way too fragile when opponents inevitably force an opportunity.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 05:52 AM   #94
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes I agree that Smith was awesome when healthy...but has older and likely a little more injury prone. It may not be a huge problem but I still believe goaltending is the Flames weakest position right now.
Old 09-20-2018, 03:29 PM   #95
Vox
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
The point is Derek Wills is not a neutral hockey observer...according to him the team was full of great players having great seasons last year. Yet they missed the playoffs by 11 points somehow.

Troy Brouwer was often one of the "best Flames players on the ice" in his mind (a buyout by the very guy that signed him would suggest otherwise) He is too close to the team I strongly question his ability to evaluate player performances.

Anyone who suggests Bennett played better than Gio or Monahan in China is obviously trying very hard to cut the guy some slack. Bennett was okay...needs to be better, as do others.
Neutral to the Calgary Puck bun fight was my meaning. Everyone has a personal opinion.

For what it's worth, Darren Haynes said the same thing: "He was excellent, arguably Calgary’s best player, and he was a treat to watch."

I didn't see the game, so I have no opinion. And as such, I'll leave it at that.
Vox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 04:55 PM   #96
Max Cow Disease
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Yes I agree that Smith was awesome when healthy...but has older and likely a little more injury prone. It may not be a huge problem but I still believe goaltending is the Flames weakest position right now.

I agree. My prediction from earlier in the summer is that the team would likely have a pretty good season, but that Smith will either fall off the age cliff or suffer injury, thereby jeopardizing the season.

Every time the dude makes a save and is slow to get up, I kind of cringe.
Old 09-20-2018, 07:04 PM   #97
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Smith's role as a starter came late in his career (2008 - 09) with Tampa and there has been less wear and tear on his body relative to his age. Add to the fact he is a fitness freak, i'm not that worried.
Old 09-20-2018, 07:32 PM   #98
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

So he's in better shape than last year? I'm not sure if you become less injury prone as you age...if he can stay healthy, I'm not worried. I would feel a lot more comfortable if the Flames had upgraded that position.