Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-17-2014, 10:13 AM   #21
lorenavedon
Backup Goalie

Exp:

love those flip shows in California where they rebuild an entire home with high end finishings in 2 weeks for 30k because they call up Jose and his truckload of day laborers that he pays $1/hour for. In Calgary the same job would run $300k and take 2 years. So yeah it's completely unrealistic.
Old 07-17-2014, 12:32 PM   #22
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

^^OK yea the flip and HR shows are a great deal for the home owner and subsidized by the programs, however that does not take a way from the fact that renovation costs in Calgary are outrageous and not sustainable.

If you look carefully at MLS right now you will see that the crazyness has now subsided into crazy prices for renovated houses and quite reasonable prices for older homes. No one wants to take on a renovation. Its similar to 2007-2008, if you waited till 2010-2011 to get your renos done actual professionals were available at reasonable prices.
Old 07-18-2014, 09:20 AM   #23
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just to add another calgary example we replaced all hardwood on the main floor, removed a pillar and added a beam across the width of the house, new fireplace, kitchen cabinets, granite, drop down ceiling. We did the painting and the base/case ourself. The total job cost $60,000. Overall we felt it was an "okay" deal.
Old 07-18-2014, 10:17 AM   #24
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Sounds like you micro-managed it and did a lot yourself, that's probably the way to go.
Old 07-18-2014, 11:09 AM   #25
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The best thing to do is have a specification sheet done for what you want accomplished. There are plenty example son the net or you can just go get a basic one from any salesperson at a showhome to get an idea on what you want.

The more detaiuled your spec sheet the less likely a developer/ renovator can hose you.

eg. Way back when I did my basement, I got a quotes using just a basic guide for what I wanted done for the square footage. They all came in around $30k. I then cut it down to two companies and did a specific spec. I detailed things like:

carpet under lay
What grade of wood I wanted used
Ceiling finishes
pulls
Type of paint
Baseboard prep
electrical requirements
Hardware for built ins
...the list goes on.

When the quotes came back, one was $35K and the other was $58k.
Old 07-19-2014, 05:29 PM   #26
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
For example. Crown moulding, the best stuff costs about $1.50 for contractors per foot $3.50 for Rona/Home Depot. So, say you have a 10 X 10 foot room, you'll have 40 linear feet total, so total cost is $60 give or take a couple bucks. However, most contractors would charge around $1000 for that to install.
What, a $1,000 to install 40 feet of moulding.........I need to switch professions......I have always been interested in decked out, I am sure some of the decks they build are easily $80,000........the latest incarnation of Holmes on Holmes provides a price summary at the end.......

When I watch love it or list it, I want to take a flamethrower to everyone associated with that show....deviate from the formula every once and a while......

I thought the formula for renos was $1 of material, $2 labour.....
Old 07-26-2014, 09:30 AM   #27
burn_baby_burn
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought some episodes of Property Brothers were filmed in the US. There fore $25,000 goes a lot farther in say Texas than Alberta.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:06 AM   #28
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I developed 450 sqft of basement ~5 years ago, with no demolition costs. and I did all of the labour myself, except moving a drain in the concrete floor Bathroom, Desk Area, and Bedroom.

Small Stand up shower,
Costco Vanity unit
Carpet & Lino flooring
Nice Light Fixtures.

It ended up costing me over $10,000. So I imagine if I have paid someone it would have cost over $20,000 for 450sqft. Probably $30,000 if there was a existing space that needed to be demolished.

Doing a full inner city Bungalow would probably be 4x the size and have a kitchen witch adds allot of cost,
So think $75,000 - $80,000 plus, assuming labour is free and without doing anything to the exterior,
easily double that if you have to pay for the labour,
and triple if its and Calgary and you don't know someone.
I think that would be an average project on most of those shows.