Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2014, 12:28 PM   #1041
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

The cynic in me thinks that street parking around that condo will be terribly hard to come by.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Burninator For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2014, 12:35 PM   #1042
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burninator View Post
The cynic in me thinks that street parking around that condo will be terribly hard to come by.
Almost a guarantee that most of EV will be a pain for street parking. However the Calgary Parking Authority will be building a new parkade on the south side of 9th avenue in the EV, so one could always park there when visiting.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 12:56 PM   #1043
J pold
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
But this is a residential development in the East Village. Which should have every amenity a resident could want within easy walking distance. Plus factor in Car2Go and the CPA parkade that will be built south of 9th avenue in the East Village and I think this will work out just fine.

Ultimately the market will decide if it works or not.
For sure, my concern would be that it would set a dangerous precedent for commercial development. Q Block (info below) is an east village development and already has a 1 per 1,000 square foot parking ratio which is really poor anywhere outside of downtown. If the residential developers start building projects without parking it will put pressure on the commercial developers to do the same, or at least reduce their parking allocations.

Renderings:
Spoiler!

Concept Floor-plate:
Spoiler!
J pold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 01:09 PM   #1044
J pold
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just got back from a luncheon on Arlington Developments new project on Elbow and 50th ave. The Windsor is five story mixed use development with main floor retail and 4 stories of office. They have a handful of deals in place but need to get a few more across the goal line before they start moving on construction. The pre-leasing threshold is 40%.

Marketing brochure and info is here, let me know if you have any questions.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:54 PM   #1045
Pagal4321
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like the idea of a fully commuter project, however the main selling point of that would be cost savings for not having a titles parking spot. I don't see those savings being accurately reflected in an East Village project, where prices will be significantly higher than they already are in the Beltline.
Pagal4321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 02:29 PM   #1046
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
I've kind of given up on Mission-Cliff Bugalow with some of their recent developments. Just not the density to build anything affordable, a shame really. Especially when you consider just how easy it would be to live there without a car. Walking distance to most amenities and on a pretty awesome bus line for when you need transit.
I feel like Mission is just always going to be an expensive neighborhood. It's already well established, has a fantastic location, and is surrounded by wealthy tree-lined neighborhoods. Those things never come cheap.

I'm not sure if there's anything wrong with it being a little pricey. Urban neighborhoods come in different price points...and the rich need to sip their lattes too.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 02:38 PM   #1047
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yes, right now today it's not ideal for a car free lifestyle. However keep in mind this proposal isn't anywhere near starting construction and there are many projects soon to start up in EV that will make it a good site for this type of development.

If you wanted to build this project right now then I would go with Beltline, Hillhurst-Sunnyside, or Mission-Cliff Bungalow.
Sunnyside is close, but even for legit grocery shopping trips I use my car. However that's more an indictment of our tragically bad Safeway forcing me to drive to the North Hill location rather than urban planning.

God I hate that piece of ####.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 02:42 PM   #1048
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Sunnyside is close, but even for legit grocery shopping trips I use my car. However that's more an indictment of our tragically bad Safeway forcing me to drive to the North Hill location rather than urban planning.

God I hate that piece of ####.
Really? We've had no problem using the Sunnyside Safeway since we moved here. At least 99% of the trips to it we are walking too.

We're just so elitist like that. Plus walking allows us to go by Vendome and purchase a latte.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2014, 02:51 PM   #1049
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Really? We've had no problem using the Sunnyside Safeway since we moved here. At least 99% of the trips to it we are walking too.

We're just so elitist like that. Plus walking allows us to go by Vendome and purchase a latte.
You don't find their meat and produce to be a horrorshow? Inability to recognize that they should add more self checkouts in a heavily small purchase store, jamming a giant impulse buy candy rack in the waiting aisle for said checkouts making navigating around that corner a nightmare.

Ugh, worst run supermarket ever.
Old 03-19-2014, 02:56 PM   #1050
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can't say I've noticed or been bothered by what you listed. About once a month my wife will hit up Costco for some meat, but we do interim buy from Safeway all the time.
Old 03-19-2014, 02:57 PM   #1051
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Do they sell Yop there? If so, you should have bought one and stomped on it. Then, give everybody the finger on the way out before escaping in your Car2Go.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 02:58 PM   #1052
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm sure they sell Yop, but it's probably either out of stock or past it's due date like their yogurt and carton'd eggs always are
Old 03-19-2014, 03:05 PM   #1053
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
I'm sure they sell Yop, but it's probably either out of stock or past it's due date like their yogurt and carton'd eggs always are
What kind of a Sunnyside elitist are you? We don't buy our eggs at Safeway, we get them from a neighbour that brings them in from a free-range farm. He has a little shed in his backyard with the refrigerator and you just roll up and put your money in and take a dozen ($6).

He's also doing growlers of beer from a local brewery. Haven't gotten in on that action yet though.
Old 03-19-2014, 03:08 PM   #1054
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

A bad one I guess
Old 03-19-2014, 03:10 PM   #1055
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

There is still hope, take one large latte and walk across the Peace bridge ten times.
Old 03-19-2014, 03:20 PM   #1056
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
I feel like Mission is just always going to be an expensive neighborhood. It's already well established, has a fantastic location, and is surrounded by wealthy tree-lined neighborhoods. Those things never come cheap.

I'm not sure if there's anything wrong with it being a little pricey. Urban neighborhoods come in different price points...and the rich need to sip their lattes too.
It certainly has always been a wealthy neighborhood, but it was at least accessible for a decent amount of modestly priced rental units ($750-1200/room) and even the odd cheap ones, but post-flood renovation units are just ridiculous now and putting in only a handful of units at the 'painted ladies' site and that new condo unit (can't remember the name, it's definitely a good looking building but the number of units is disappointing) certainly won't help matters either as things seem to be quickly trending to $1000+ being the new low point and that's not that great for a community that was rather diverse. A bit too much gentrification too fast IMO.

However as long as the empty lots and holes in the ground on 4th Street keep getting filled up then it's hard to complain I guess.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 03:24 PM   #1057
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J pold View Post
Just got back from a luncheon on Arlington Developments new project on Elbow and 50th ave. The Windsor is five story mixed use development with main floor retail and 4 stories of office. They have a handful of deals in place but need to get a few more across the goal line before they start moving on construction. The pre-leasing threshold is 40%.

Marketing brochure and info is here, let me know if you have any questions.
With Windsor, Brittania Crossing and hopefully the 50th Ave development getting off the ground sooner than later that could become a nice little hub of action in the not too distant future.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 05:21 PM   #1058
J pold
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
With Windsor, Brittania Crossing and hopefully the 50th Ave development getting off the ground sooner than later that could become a nice little hub of action in the not too distant future.
It could be. Right now Opus is struggling in leasing up Britannia Crossing, mostly because their rental expectations are way out of whack but I do see some long term potential for the area. One of the problems associated with development is the environment remediation on both of the Windsor and Britannia sites. One used to be a gas station and the other used to be a dry cleaner. Both require a ton of remediation work to pass environmental reports as part of their DP. These cost are ultimately passed onto the tenant through the building operating costs.
Old 03-19-2014, 08:05 PM   #1059
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

I live in Mission. I believe we have a height restriction on buildings.
I'm all for it.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 02:38 AM   #1060
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J pold View Post
It could be. Right now Opus is struggling in leasing up Britannia Crossing, mostly because their rental expectations are way out of whack but I do see some long term potential for the area. One of the problems associated with development is the environment remediation on both of the Windsor and Britannia sites. One used to be a gas station and the other used to be a dry cleaner. Both require a ton of remediation work to pass environmental reports as part of their DP. These cost are ultimately passed onto the tenant through the building operating costs.
Unless the developer can recover these costs through increased base rents. Any decent real estate lawyer reviewing the lease for a tenant will ensure that costs of environmental remediation are excluded from operating costs.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote