Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2013, 07:34 AM   #21
HPLovecraft
Took an arrow to the knee

Exp:

PC gaming on the TV is serious business.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:05 AM   #22
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

I built a 5th PC to game with on my TV when I'm in the mood for such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:14 AM   #23
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

FTL is a must buy (Faster than Light). Well worth it.
Still playing some Civ 5.
League of Legends (as per the LOL thread)
CaramonLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:17 AM   #24
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaramonLS View Post
FTL is a must buy (Faster than Light). Well worth it.
Still playing some Civ 5.
League of Legends (as per the LOL thread)
I've heard a million recommendations for FTL, but watching quick videos and screens I can't really get a grip on the game-type. What's it comparable to?

Quote:
Old 02-23-2013, 11:34 AM   #25
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
I've heard a million recommendations for FTL, but watching quick videos and screens I can't really get a grip on the game-type. What's it comparable to?
It's like the board game Red November if you've ever played it.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:52 AM   #26
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:04 PM   #27
gottabekd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm putting some finishing touches on having my gaming PC (in a bedroom upstairs) available for gaming on my TV all the way in the basement.

HDMI Extender + USB Extender + Cat 6

Now I just need a couch!

My genre of choice is first person shooters, and after doing a bit of XBOX gaming, I can handle myself decently with a controller. However, I wouldn't try it in a multiplayer game. Single player isn't so bad. It's too bad that not all games support controllers, though.
gottabekd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:15 PM   #28
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anybody looking at the possibility of using a 4K tv/monitor for gaming? I think HDMI works directly?
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:17 PM   #29
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Anybody looking at the possibility of using a 4K tv/monitor for gaming? I think HDMI works directly?
Are there any being marketed for less than $5k-$8k? Becuase I'm pretty sure the cheapest I've seen is the 32" Sharp IZGO for $5500.

Quote:
Old 02-24-2013, 02:08 PM   #30
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

I don't have near the time to play as I used to, but I recently finished Xcom, loved every minute of that, and now am on Far Cry 3 (haven't played the older ones.) So far Far Cry is awesome, and it will share my free time with LoL.

The best gaming experience for me was Mass Effect 3, Deus Ex Human Revolution and Skyrim, didn't do any of the skyrim add ons or the ME3 one either.

But wow ME3 and Deus are two of my all time favorite games, if anyone has recommendations to anything similar I would love to hear them. Maybe the new Fall Out Las Vegas, but I really didn't enjoy the last one.
Old 02-24-2013, 02:45 PM   #31
vektor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

^New Vegas was way better in my opinion, a lot more open roaming and faction interactions than F3 which was pretty cramped and boring to me (aside from the nuclear gun obviously), New Vegas had way better mods and it runs better so all around I think it's more fun if you like open world survival kind of games.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
I've used both HDMI and VGA+AUX IN and for some reason HDMI really screws up games for me, just a heads up. I run an Nvidia GPU, I'd recommend a TV capable of VGA because on HDMI there are weird glitches (sound is weird in some games, mouse completely disappears in others) that VGA never has.

Last edited by vektor; 02-24-2013 at 02:53 PM.
vektor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:01 PM   #32
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

I just finished playing Dead Space 3. There's a lot of negative user reviews for it but I really enjoyed it. The crafting system was somewhat annoying and other than upgrading a couple of different weapons I mostly tried to ignore it, but otherwise I thought the level design was decent enough (although there were some parts that felt like a corridor shooter) and the story was quite immersive.

I think the negative user reviews stem from the fact that it's not as good as the original... but it still kept me interested and I enjoyed it pretty much from start to finish.

If you liked Dead Space 1 or 2, you'll probably enjoy this one as well.
Old Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Old Yeller For This Useful Post:
Jbo
Old 02-24-2013, 06:13 PM   #33
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
But wow ME3 and Deus are two of my all time favorite games, if anyone has recommendations to anything similar I would love to hear them. Maybe the new Fall Out Las Vegas, but I really didn't enjoy the last one.
I'm guessing you'd like Bioshock 1 and 2... start with 1. They go on sale for $5 on Steam, or find a friend who's pre-ordered infinite as they will likely be getting a spare copy of 1.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SebC For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2013, 11:06 PM   #34
gottabekd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
If you played Fallout 3 and didn't like it, then New Vegas doesn't have much to offer you. They are very similar.

How about Batman? Arkham Asylum and Arkham City. As someone who usually prefers FPS games, the Batman games were pretty fun. No guns, but some gadgets and stealth that would at least be a little similar to Human Revolution. I played these games with a controller though, and have heard it works much better than trying to handle all the gadgets and fighting combos with a keyboard.
gottabekd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gottabekd For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2013, 11:40 PM   #35
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

I really enjoyed Batman Arkham Asylum. I guess what draws me into Deus Ex is that its a game for adults, heavy with difficult themes, sex, violence and one hell of a story. A game set in the future with such a great story really drew me in, the same with ME3.

Oh and I only started Bioshock 1, got a bit into it and really enjoyed it, must jump back into that game thanks Seb!

I wonder if Crysis might be worth a go after Far Cry 3.

Last edited by Thor; 02-24-2013 at 11:43 PM.
Thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 06:18 AM   #36
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I really enjoyed Batman Arkham Asylum. I guess what draws me into Deus Ex is that its a game for adults, heavy with difficult themes, sex, violence and one hell of a story. A game set in the future with such a great story really drew me in, the same with ME3.

Oh and I only started Bioshock 1, got a bit into it and really enjoyed it, must jump back into that game thanks Seb!

I wonder if Crysis might be worth a go after Far Cry 3.
The first Crysis or the latest one? I only just played through the first Crysis during the summer and I had a blast with it. Don't expect a great story though. Playing through the game felt like a weird mix of the movie Predator. It's pretty damn exciting creeping through the jungle and using your cloak ability to pick off North Korean patrols and take out outposts.

You may want to pick up Dishonored. It's similar to Bioshock but you play an assassin. There are some cool things you can do in that game.

If you want to play through a game that will really mess with your emotions and make you think then I strongly recommend Spec Ops: The Line. It was easily one of the most interesting games I've played in a while. It seems like just another run of the mill shooter but that will quickly change.

Last edited by cDnStealth; 02-25-2013 at 07:30 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to cDnStealth For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2013, 10:44 AM   #37
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks View Post
Depends what type of games you like.

Having fun with the Orc Must Die franchise.
http://store.steampowered.com/sub/18259/
Thanks for this. I've seen the game in the store before but didn't give it much thought until your post. For $12 I thought why not. Fun game. Decent graphics. I wish you could upgrade your primary weapon, assuming that doesn't happen at some point. For not, I've only been able to upgrade the traps.

The multi door levels are tough.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 11:08 AM   #38
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
Thanks for this. I've seen the game in the store before but didn't give it much thought until your post. For $12 I thought why not. Fun game. Decent graphics. I wish you could upgrade your primary weapon, assuming that doesn't happen at some point. For not, I've only been able to upgrade the traps.

The multi door levels are tough.
Orcs Must Die 2 adds much more in terms of upgrades. You can upgrade everything from traps to weapons to trinkets. You get special upgrades that let you set up for instance, an arrow wall on a roof or a scorcher on a wall. Plus the second adds coop play and endless mode which is really challenging.

Last edited by cDnStealth; 02-25-2013 at 12:43 PM.
Old 02-25-2013, 12:25 PM   #39
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

This seems like an appropriate thread to ask. It is worth while to upgrade my PC or just start from scratch?

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
Asus P5K Deluxe
GeForce 8800 Ultra 768MB
8GB DDR2 RAM
Corsair 620W

Is it worth it to get something like a GTX 600ti or will the processor / RAM be the bottle neck? Motherboard doesn't support DDR3, so I am guessing the only thing I could reuse would be my power supply.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 12:54 PM   #40
Lithium
Scoring Winger

Exp:

After several big spending sprees during Steam seasonal sales, I still find myself playing ranked LoL games. Heck, I ever watch the "Pro" players play in their competitions.

I picked up Darksiders 1 and 2 at the last sale when they were bundled together for $8. Very fun games if you love button mashing and zelda-type dungeon puzzles.
Lithium is offline   Reply With Quote