Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2016, 01:30 PM   #161
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Am I your friend?
Depends, what you looking to do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 03:16 PM   #162
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Depends, what you looking to do?
I just wanna be your buddy

Haha. In all seriousness though, I still think my rig is fine for the time being. I definitely don't know specs and hardware like you do, so maybe somewhere down the line I ask you to help me with a build.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 04:09 PM   #163
OmegaV4
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Current Build:

CPU: Intel i7-4930K
Motherboard: ASUS X79 Deluxe
RAM: 32GB Hyper X Predator @ 2133MHz
SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB
HDD: WD Velociraptor 1TB @ 10,000RPM
GPU: XFX Radeon R9 290 @ 4GB
PSU: Corsair AX 860i
Cooling: XSPC Raystorm RS240
Case: Voodoo Rage F5

Am I doing it right?
OmegaV4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 04:13 PM   #164
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

What do you need 32 gigs of ram for?
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 04:22 PM   #165
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Basically a NAS enclosure is your best bet. They are pricey because they are essentially a cheap tiny PC.

You could buy a USB enclosure and attach it to your router (most routers have at least 1 USB connector) as a network slave, but that only will handle a single drive.

EDIT:

This WD MyCloud 2x drive is on sale for 210 right now:

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX61395
Okay. Yeah, maybe an enclosure might not work because it needs to be a bit smarter.

If I were to get a NAS could I just pop the hard drives from my Windows PC into the NAS and would it recognize all the content? Or would I have to format the drives? I'm not too familiar with NAS technology.
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 04:46 PM   #166
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meelapo View Post
Okay. Yeah, maybe an enclosure might not work because it needs to be a bit smarter.

If I were to get a NAS could I just pop the hard drives from my Windows PC into the NAS and would it recognize all the content? Or would I have to format the drives? I'm not too familiar with NAS technology.
I'm no expert on NAS, but it's my understanding that the NAS unit runs it's own OS that's included with the box and runs off of flash memory, so you effectively plop in your drives, and attach it to your network, and the NAS can be used for local and cloud access for all your files.

You can configure the OS with your PC or an android/ios device (as is the case with MyCloud box I linked). Auto-syncing, backups, the option to RAID 0, RAID 1, or just span is available.

What may not work for you, is that you might want to shop for a different brand if you are running an Emby Server, since MyCloud is pre-configed for Plex, but Emby doesn't support it yet (unless you run FreeNAS or something like that instead of MyCloud).

This Synology NAS http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX59713 or this QNAP NAS http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX54789 may be more preferable, as they are supported by Emby as media servers. Note that Newegg and Amazon have more stock of those models.

List of NAS OSs supported by Emby:
https://emby.media/nas-server.html

If you run a 2-drive USB enclosure and just attach it to your Router, that could work if you have a good router. If not, it could be a massive pain to setup and configure, if it works at all (compatibility issues aren't unheard of doing this).

Quote:

Last edited by PsYcNeT; 10-25-2016 at 04:48 PM.
Old 10-25-2016, 04:48 PM   #167
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Chrome.
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Looch City For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2016, 10:20 PM   #168
OmegaV4
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
The real question is, what don't you need it for lol.
The Following User Says Thank You to OmegaV4 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2016, 10:24 PM   #169
OmegaV4
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

It depends on how you set it up. NAS Boxes can be configured in many ways. For what you're looking for, you can get a NAS box, and configure it to be JBOD(Just A Bunch Of Drives.) It's a real format no BS lol. If you wanted any sort of data security, then you can use RAID setup on a NAS Box, however the drives would have to be formatted.
Old 10-30-2016, 03:04 AM   #170
Sluggo
Scoring Winger

Exp:

If you have a EVGA GTX 1070 or 1080 with ACX 3.0 cooling you should check the link http://www.evga.com/thermalmod/ to see if your card is affected by a VRM overheating issue in some cases catching the card on fire. I have a 1070 GTX SC Black Edition without a back plate and it says I don't have a qualified registered product so its either unaffected or unfixable. What is anybody else getting?
Sluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 12:52 PM   #171
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sluggo View Post
If you have a EVGA GTX 1070 or 1080 with ACX 3.0 cooling you should check the link http://www.evga.com/thermalmod/ to see if your card is affected by a VRM overheating issue in some cases catching the card on fire. I have a 1070 GTX SC Black Edition without a back plate and it says I don't have a qualified registered product so its either unaffected or unfixable. What is anybody else getting?
I was able to order my thermal pad. I ordered two because I have two GTX 1080s registered (I returned one to Memory Express because of coil whine and the new one does the same but I'll swap it out in December if it still makes noise). If you are concerned about your card you can have the extra thermal pad that should be coming to me. If you don't want it then someone else is more than welcome to it.

More info:
https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrac...to_my_inquiry/

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrac...edly_catching/
Old 10-30-2016, 01:40 PM   #172
Sluggo
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
If you are concerned about your card you can have the extra thermal pad that should be coming to me. If you don't want it then someone else is more than welcome to it.
I am not overly concerned if it pops and they did not offer me a thermal pad then well I'll likely get a newer card from EVGA anyways. I have seen posts from people with similar cards to mine not being offered pads so I can assume heat is not as big of a issue with these boards or in my case of it being relatively newer -I purchased it a month ago- they might of already dealt with the issue.
Old 11-04-2016, 04:09 PM   #173
Sluggo
Scoring Winger

Exp:

A bit of a update on the cooling issue with EVGA cards has now expanded to 1060's and they are now sending pads for my 1070 SC now. In addition, they are releasing firmware updates for affected cards to bump up cooling fan speeds under load. Additional information is is posted on my above link or here..

I have always had a internal intake/circulation fan pointed towards my video card so having that extra airflow on the card likely kept temperatures well below the failure point.
Old 11-09-2016, 07:45 PM   #174
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I ended up calling EVGA to get a replacement. I could have done the thermal pad mod myself but my card has some coil whine so I'm hoping a new card from them doesn't have the issue. It's shipping out today so I should have it by Friday (provided UPS delivers on Remembrance Day).
Old 11-10-2016, 08:35 PM   #175
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gsync Predator XB271HK 27in 4K IPS Gaming LED LCD Monitor

$1150

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Product...DailyDeal-Nov7

EDIT: Actually this is cheaper: http://www.ncix.com/detail/acer-pred...-49-122222.htm

Last edited by chemgear; 11-10-2016 at 08:39 PM.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 08:58 PM   #176
Chonger
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

So I was playing cs:go tonight and my pc crashes. I smell something is fried and I can't power back up. My gpu feels hot but I'm thinking it's my psu cause I couldn't power back on. Can anyone help me?

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Chonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 09:10 PM   #177
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chonger View Post
So I was playing cs:go tonight and my pc crashes. I smell something is fried and I can't power back up. My gpu feels hot but I'm thinking it's my psu cause I couldn't power back on. Can anyone help me?

Do you have any spares to test with, or a PSU tester? Take the GPU out and try to boot. Modern PCs don't need a GPU to boot.

If it won't even flash on/POST, it's either the PSU or the motherboard.

Quote:
Old 11-11-2016, 10:40 AM   #178
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chonger View Post

Using an EVGA 1070 or 1080 by chance? They are reporting issues of overheating and will RMA it. They offered extra thermal pads to fix the issue recently. Still waiting for mine.
Raekwon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 10:41 AM   #179
Chonger
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post
Using an EVGA 1070 or 1080 by chance? They are reporting issues of overheating and will RMA it. They offered extra thermal pads to fix the issue recently. Still waiting for mine.

Chonger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chonger For This Useful Post:
Bob
Old 11-11-2016, 07:45 PM   #180
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well I am also looking to join the master race this year. Thanks to Psycnet for helping me out over PM and answering all of my dumb, noob questions. Anyways, this build is entirely meant for living room gaming and is going to be connected to my 50" plasma because I'm too cheap to go to 4K and I hate unnecessary upgrades. I also already have a 1 TB external HD, which is good because I was on a budget. Here's what my build looks like. Hoping to get some of the parts for Christmas and birthday in December and then get the build done before the holidays are over. I appreciate any input.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($344.68 @ Vuugo)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($41.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($174.78 @ NCIX)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($64.94 @ Newegg Canada)
Storage: A-Data Premier SP550 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($91.82 @ Newegg Canada)
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB Mini Video Card ($352.80 @ shopRBC)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($72.80 @ Amazon Canada)
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($57.18 @ NCIX)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($131.88 @ shopRBC)
Keyboard: Logitech K800 Wireless Slim Keyboard ($111.98 @ Newegg Canada)
Mouse: Logitech G700s Wireless Laser Mouse ($102.48 @ Vuugo)
Other: Microsoft Xbox 360 Wireless Controller for Windows & Xbox 360 Console
Other: PlayStation 4 Gold Wireless Stereo Headset - Gold Wireless Headset Edition ($128.49 @ Amazon Canada)

Total: $1675.81
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-11-11 21:56 EST-0500

Last edited by rubecube; 11-11-2016 at 07:57 PM.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote