Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-2022, 07:02 PM   #21
Cowboy89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Getting back to Bo, it’s a shame people remember him as much for 2 lost Grey Cups when he led them to one more win than Doug Flutie, Jeff Garcia & Henry Burris and two more wins than Dave Dickerson. Those other guys choked worse before even getting to the Grey Cup game. At least Bo kept the Riders and the Eskimos from winning it by not choking in the West Final every year and actually getting to the big game so often. Maybe we should be more appreciative of his time here!
Cowboy89 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cowboy89 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2022, 09:39 PM   #22
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

How are trades possible during the playoffs?
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2022, 09:57 PM   #23
Cowboy89
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://https://www.pressreader.com/canada/toronto-star/20051125/282406984754214
Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
How are trades possible during the playoffs?
The same CFL magic pixie dust that permitted the Eskimos to trade Jason Mass for Troy Davis and Dan Comiskey but allowed them to keep Jason Maas until the end of the playoffs in 2005 in which Maas played a prominent role in both the west semi-final and west final.

Last edited by Cowboy89; 11-14-2022 at 10:00 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cowboy89 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2022, 12:26 PM   #24
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy89 View Post
http://https://www.pressreader.com/canada/toronto-star/20051125/282406984754214

The same CFL magic pixie dust that permitted the Eskimos to trade Jason Mass for Troy Davis and Dan Comiskey but allowed them to keep Jason Maas until the end of the playoffs in 2005 in which Maas played a prominent role in both the west semi-final and west final.
That was a black mark in the history of the CFL IMO. We always heard the whispers about the stuff the Evil Empire used to get away with but this was clear proof that the league allowed unfair practices. I lost a bit of love for the league that year that will never be recovered.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2022, 12:58 PM   #25
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy89 View Post
Actually the heir apparent after Burris was Drew Tate who then subsequently lost his job to Mitchell in 2014 after losing his job to Kevin Glenn due to injury in 2012 & 2013. Looking back now Drew Tate seems like a lot of lost potential, but I will always remember him fondly for finding Romby Bryant behind coverage late in the 2012 west Semi-Final against the Riders.

Completely forgot about Drew Tate, and going down the Wikipedia rabbit hole I discover that he was the CFL's rushing touchdown leader in 2014 (and added a couple in the Grey Cup as well). What a short yardage dynamo he was.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 12:59 PM   #26
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
That was a black mark in the history of the CFL IMO. We always heard the whispers about the stuff the Evil Empire used to get away with but this was clear proof that the league allowed unfair practices. I lost a bit of love for the league that year that will never be recovered.
For me it was certainly a moment that led to my declining interest in the league . I can't take a league seriously that allows stuff like that, in such an overt way.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2022, 07:34 PM   #27
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
That was a few years earlier for me, when AJ Gass was suspended for pulling off a Stampeder players helmet and almost hitting the ref with it.
Hugh Campbell went to and got an Alberta Court of Queens Bench judge (and admitted Esks season ticket holder) to overule the CFL and negate the suspension.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2022, 09:28 AM   #28
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
That was a few years earlier for me, when AJ Gass was suspended for pulling off a Stampeder players helmet and almost hitting the ref with it.
Hugh Campbell went to and got an Alberta Court of Queens Bench judge (and admitted Esks season ticket holder) to overule the CFL and negate the suspension.
forgot about that, so bush league. the CFL is its own worst enemy at times.
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 02:25 PM   #29
Cowboy89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk diggler View Post
forgot about that, so bush league. the CFL is its own worst enemy at times.
The pre-mature / erroneous announcement of this year's All-stars was a new all-time low for me. How do you bungle a clerical process so bad that it not only makes the league awful in the public view but also alienates its own players by having some players named to the team erroneously and then having to walk it back. For some player contracts, being named an all-star is a financial bonus incentive. It's like telling some employees they're getting a bonus in the morning and then walking it back in the afternoon. Just a bad look all around on multiple levels.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cowboy89 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2022, 05:27 AM   #30
The Familia
First Line Centre

Exp:

Ambrosie is an idiot. Can the league please find a competent commissioner? There have been very few good ones over the last couple decades.
William Jennings Trophy - 2006
The Familia is offline   Reply With Quote