Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-01-2022, 02:20 PM   #21
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by liamenator View Post
Calgary-born and raised Ottawa transplant here. Understanding that there are sober economic conversations to be had, I am still always amazed at the speed and giddiness with which many folks on this board call for Canada's capital and fourth-largest city to lose its team. How loud would be the cries of injustice if the roles were reversed.

Ottawa-Gatineau is a great market with a devoted fan base that deserves an owner, team, and building worthy of it. Respectfully, please take your relocation fantasy talk and shove it.
I don't see people "calling" for it. Just wondering aloud if it might be on the table, all things considered.
Old 11-01-2022, 02:24 PM   #22
liamenator
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
I don't see people "calling" for it. Just wondering aloud if it might be on the table, all things considered.

Literally the third post in the thread calls for it. Also: take a quick scan of any thread related to Sens ownership and you'll see what I'm talking about.
liamenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 02:39 PM   #23
Mean Mr. Mustard
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is bad news, I don’t know if there are many billionaires around the Ottawa area who would be willing to put down money to keep the NHL in the Ottawa area. This painfully reminds me more of when the Nordiques left to Colorado, a bad team for many years that is finally starting to become a good team, in a small market, with a weak Canadian dollar. There are a number of markets in the states that would like a NHL club (Kansas City for instance) and governments who are more willing to offer lucrative subsidies.
Mean Mr. Mustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 02:58 PM   #24
liamenator
First Line Centre

Exp:

I should add, on a more positive note: it would not at all surprise me to see a local ownership group emerge around either or both of Roger Greenberg (Minto Group, OSEG) and Jeff York (Farmboy). If I were them, I'd try to pull in some of the local tech money, current (e.g. Tobias Lüdke/Shopify) and legacy (e.g. Terry Matthews/Mitel)
Old 11-01-2022, 03:01 PM   #25
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Literally the third post in the thread calls for it. Also: take a quick scan of any thread related to Sens ownership and you'll see what I'm talking about.
In fairness, that guy's team plays out of a college arena with curtains for dressing rooms. I'm pretty sure him calling for the movement of another team is just take up a destination so the Coyotes can't move there.
Old 11-01-2022, 03:11 PM   #26
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisher Account View Post
People seriously think moving a professional North American team to a basically monolingual French city is a good idea? Good lord. And you thought Calgary had a hard time attracting free agents.

It's not the 1970's. Will never happen. Keep dreaming.
So..where are all the posters who roast me for posting in absolutes? Anyone?
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 03:13 PM   #27
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wouldn't read too much into this. It's most-likely just the fact that Melnyk's daughters are both quite young and realize that the hassles of running an NHL team aren't something they want to have to worry about. I'm actually surprised it took this long.
Old 11-01-2022, 03:16 PM   #28
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That is because Sens ownership has been an embarrassment for years. Quebec already lost their team once and now has an NHL ready arena and people ready to spend money on the team. Quebec and Montreal was a great rivalry, Ottawa has no rivalry, nobody cares about Leafs vs Sens or Habs vs Sens. As a matter of fact 90% of hockey fans in Ottawa care about the Leafs much more than the Senators. QC is also close enough that the Senator fan base is still close. Have a tissue, bring back the Nords!
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 03:48 PM   #29
liamenator
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
That is because Sens ownership has been an embarrassment for years. Quebec already lost their team once and now has an NHL ready arena and people ready to spend money on the team. Quebec and Montreal was a great rivalry, Ottawa has no rivalry, nobody cares about Leafs vs Sens or Habs vs Sens. As a matter of fact 90% of hockey fans in Ottawa care about the Leafs much more than the Senators. QC is also close enough that the Senator fan base is still close. Have a tissue, bring back the Nords!
Revisionist history. Rivalries, even the BOA, are contingent on stakes. When both teams are good, the rivalry flourishes. Sens-Leafs rivalry from 1999-2004 was as intense as any in the league. I could feel that even living in Calgary. It was at least on-par with Habs-Nordiques. In both cases, they were secondary to the traditional Habs-Leafs rivalry.

Saying 90% of hockey fans in Ottawa care more about the Leafs is just idiotic. You've clearly never spent any time talking with people about hockey in Ottawa. I would argue Leafs support in Ottawa is not substantially more than in cities like Calgary or Edmonton. Leafs fans come out when they are in town but otherwise support the local team.

I agree that Sens ownership has been an embarrassment for years. That's why I said the fans deserve an owner worthy of them. They do not deserve to lose their team.

Ottawa is 450 kms from Quebec City. That's not "close enough."
The Following User Says Thank You to liamenator For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2022, 04:04 PM   #30
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

It will stay in Ottawa.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 04:09 PM   #31
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hopefully they can find ownership candidates interested in keeping the franchise in Ottawa.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 05:05 PM   #32
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Forbes tells me the richest guy in Ottawa is Tobias Lutke?

Not sure where he resides, but David Thompson? Already owns part of the Canadiens and Jets.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 05:10 PM   #33
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisher Account View Post
People seriously think moving a professional North American team to a basically monolingual French city is a good idea? Good lord. And you thought Calgary had a hard time attracting free agents.

It's not the 1970's. Will never happen. Keep dreaming.
Can I direct you to any Coyotes thread, I like what you're saying..
Jordan! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jordan! For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2022, 07:06 PM   #34
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1587972051045957632
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yoho For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2022, 07:08 PM   #35
Burning Beard
First Line Centre

Exp:

I lived in Ottawa for a year and a half and they need a team in that wretched place so people have something to do Hahaha.
Burning Beard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 07:27 PM   #36
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

I went for a visit a few years ago, but I thought it was awesome. Mind you, that was summer and the weather was great (maybe too hot), but I thought the scenery was beautiful and there was a lot to do. I was very pleasantly surprised, thought it was a great city.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2022, 07:30 PM   #37
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Geez. I wish we could sell the Flames to Ryan Reynolds. But I guess with Wolverine being from Calgary, it would probably not work out.
Old 11-02-2022, 07:39 PM   #38
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
I went for a visit a few years ago, but I thought it was awesome. Mind you, that was summer and the weather was great (maybe too hot), but I thought the scenery was beautiful and there was a lot to do. I was very pleasantly surprised, thought it was a great city.
Tons to do in Ottawa and it is a beautiful city. To add, the proximity to a lot of nice places helps too. Only thing it doesn't have much of is a night life.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CalgaryFan1988 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2022, 07:56 PM   #39
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Geez. I wish we could sell the Flames to Ryan Reynolds. But I guess with Wolverine being from Calgary, it would probably not work out.
I think an NHL team would be a big cheque to get the upfront payment on a docuseries to cover...
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 08:02 PM   #40
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

CP group buy?
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post: