Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2022, 12:34 PM   #481
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

maybe sutter just wants to see Vladar's sick pads/kit again with the rr jerseys . I would
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 09:31 PM   #482
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

Expecting Sutter to start Markstrom tomorrow against a crap Coyotes team to try to get him going and terrified we end up losing that game on a couple stinkers.
jg13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 09:41 PM   #483
DropIt
Franchise Player

Exp:

Would like tonsee the Flames bail out their goalie with at least a 3 goal performance.

Their offense is putrid when he is starting
DropIt is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DropIt For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2022, 12:52 AM   #484
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

It’s putrid most of the time
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 06:59 AM   #485
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Flames should be prepping for the fact that Markstrom may just be done as an elite goalie. Goalies going into the decline phase at his age isn't shocking. I would hope they knew that his contract was likely to end in a buyout when they signed it.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 07:00 AM   #486
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg13 View Post
Expecting Sutter to start Markstrom tomorrow against a crap Coyotes team to try to get him going and terrified we end up losing that game on a couple stinkers.
It's probably the right move. He needs to gain his confidence back. You would hope the rest of the team could raise their game a bit to ensure they don't have to depend on a goaltending performance to beat the Coyotes.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 07:11 AM   #487
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

I could see him starting Markstrom as well but I hope he doesn't. Collect the points where you can, give yourself the best chance to do so. Got some catching up to do first.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 08:35 AM   #488
madmike
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

My only worry with Vladar is he isn’t accustomed to a heavy workload. So Markstrom is going to have to start more games than your average backup.

I’d rather not see Markstrom against Phoenix, but the reality is he’s going to continue getting a decent share of the starts.
madmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 08:46 AM   #489
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

They should start Vlader and then when he saves the first shot you put Markstrom in the next stoppage of play.
Old 12-05-2022, 08:49 AM   #490
Yikes
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmike View Post
My only worry with Vladar is he isn’t accustomed to a heavy workload. So Markstrom is going to have to start more games than your average backup.

I’d rather not see Markstrom against Phoenix, but the reality is he’s going to continue getting a decent share of the starts.
Nah, run with Vladar till he loses 2 in a row.
Yikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 10:01 AM   #491
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Just like they shouldn't lean too much on the starter when he's winning ... wearing him out, they're not going to run with the backup and let the starter collect rust.

Need a plan in both instances.

Lots of evidence they leaned on the starter too much last year, would be shocked if he went 100% until you lose with the backup.

People don't have to like that, but that's what's coming in my mind; probably a true tandem until Markstrom starts reverting to norm.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2022, 10:05 AM   #492
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropIt View Post
Would like tonsee the Flames bail out their goalie with at least a 3 goal performance.

Their offense is putrid when he is starting
That works both ways. When Markstrom gives up a softy on the first or second shot, that has to get in the heads of the rest of the players. They're probably gripping their sticks extra tight with the pressure of knowing they have to score at least 3 or 4 goals to have a chance at winning with him in net
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 10:12 AM   #493
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
That works both ways. When Markstrom gives up a softy on the first or second shot, that has to get in the heads of the rest of the players. They're probably gripping their sticks extra tight with the pressure of knowing they have to score at least 3 or 4 goals to have a chance at winning with him in net
I think that is true.

I also think it is the case that the Flames are less effective when playing from behind. Their relatively simple, north-south game gets shut down too easily when the other team has a lead and plays more defensively.
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2022, 02:06 PM   #494
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good interview with a much clearer headed Markstrom, he looks a lot more rested and speaks about making progress in practice.

Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 08:24 PM   #495
AT77
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Lmao
AT77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 08:44 PM   #496
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Too early to panic? It's too late to panic. He's signed and untradeable. Since there's nothing the Flames can do, you just wait it out. And if he never regains his form then we'll have the most expensive backup in the NHL.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 09:09 PM   #497
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Too early to panic? It's too late to panic. He's signed and untradeable. Since there's nothing the Flames can do, you just wait it out. And if he never regains his form then we'll have the most expensive backup in the NHL.
Panthers disagree
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Boblobla For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2022, 09:13 PM   #498
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AT77 View Post
Lmao
Lmao.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 12:40 AM   #499
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Markstrom’s issues are mental, not physical, so there’s every reason to think he can rebound - it’s what good goalies do.

In the mean time, Vladar is playing well. Play him more. If the worst thing that happens is both guys play 41 games, that’s fine. Both now and moving forward. The days of Markstrom playing 60+ may be (should be?) done, but let’s not put him on the cart just yet.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 06:45 AM   #500
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Markstrom’s issues are mental, not physical, so there’s every reason to think he can rebound - it’s what good goalies do.

In the mean time, Vladar is playing well. Play him more. If the worst thing that happens is both guys play 41 games, that’s fine. Both now and moving forward. The days of Markstrom playing 60+ may be (should be?) done, but let’s not put him on the cart just yet.
That's actually an issue as being mentally strong is a requirement of a top starting goaltender and he's a veteran that should be over this kind of stuff. He's oscillated from bad season, good season, bad season, and that's not good enough as this team needs steadier goaltending year to year. I think at the minimum the team needs to resort to a 1A/1B situation here as Markstrom has played a role in way too many losses this season.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post: