Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2022, 11:34 AM   #41
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
I’ve cut down to one or two games a year just because the game experience is so loud and obnoxious. I don’t understand why they have a guy constantly shouting at you at every break. During the intermissions it’s blasting commercials so loud you can’t talk to anyone. Even the interviews with Parker are extremely loud like they’re trying to ensure people in the washroom on the lower concourse can still listen.

No I don’t want to go somewhere and listen to “TO THE LOUDEST FANS IN SECTION 218!!!!!! LETS HEAR IT!!!!”
This is the biggest problem, IMO. I don't mind the music being louder but why the hell is microphone-during-commercial-breaks-dude screaming at the top of his lungs, with the sound at 11 every time?

We understand the rules of the game, it's not that complicated, stop screaming at us
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 11:35 AM   #42
smiggy77
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I wish they cheated and micd the crowd and pumped that rather than pumping the music and announcers, it feel way more like a football stadium.
Old 10-14-2022, 11:38 AM   #43
rogermexico
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The Saddledome is an absolutely horrible building acoustically. My guess is that the sweet spot between "I sure wish the music was louder, this is kind of lame" and "Ack my tinnitus!" is pretty razor thin and they just err on the latter.
rogermexico is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 11:46 AM   #44
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

It was too loud at my last Flames game in 2006.. lol

Yes, I really need to hear Cotton Eyed Joe at 100db
Jordan! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 11:49 AM   #45
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

100%
At the game last night my wife said the same thing, it’s definitely a LOT louder than it has been, almost to the point where your ears ring.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 11:55 AM   #46
rogermexico
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Another factor (probably not a big one) is that music itself has been getting louder and louder over the years. Songs get more and more compressed every year in order to sound louder coming out of small speakers. Those ultra-compressed waves mean less dynamic range and they're literally more fatiguing on your ears over time. So if your hockey arena PA is pumping out more and more of those super-loud modern tunes (and cranking the gain on the relatively lower volume tunes from previous decades to match the level) over the course of a night, it might be contributing to that "ugh this is unpleasantly loud" experience.
rogermexico is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rogermexico For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2022, 12:05 PM   #47
OGmudbone
Draft Pick

I was sitting in 205 and there was a speaker pointing right at me and it was so loud I couldn't even talk to the person sitting next to me. I actually watched the last half of the 3rd in the concourse.

When I woke up this morning my ears still rang.
OGmudbone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OGmudbone For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2022, 01:07 PM   #48
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Custom molded musician earplugs, the best few hundred dollars you will ever spend. I don't go to any arena or concert event without them. they're discrete and won't make things sound muffled, in fact I find they make it easier to pick out the components of a performance instead of everything sounding like a writhing mass of pressure waves.

I waited too long and regret not being able to get back the hearing of my youth, but it might not be too late for some of you to stop the loss now.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2022, 01:09 PM   #49
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2022, 01:10 PM   #50
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royle9 View Post
100%
At the game last night my wife said the same thing, it’s definitely a LOT louder than it has been, almost to the point where your ears ring.
new to tinnitus huh?
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 01:20 PM   #51
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I was in a dome suite during the last playoffs against the AVs and most of the occupants were in their 30s, not a bunch of seniors with sensitive hearing.

Some people resorted to wearing earplugs from work and I put in my noise cancelling airpods because it was so freaking loud.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 01:36 PM   #52
Steve Bozek
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OGmudbone View Post
I was sitting in 205 and there was a speaker pointing right at me and it was so loud I couldn't even talk to the person sitting next to me. I actually watched the last half of the 3rd in the concourse.

You were wise to move to the concourse.
If your ears are still ringing that long after exposure to loud noise it’s a sign you’ve probably sustained some minor damage to your hearing. Although the ringing usually goes away, the auditory nerve endings don’t regenerate, which is why people chronically exposed to excessively loud noise develop permanent hearing loss.
Steve Bozek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 01:43 PM   #53
Cycling76er
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I went to the Flames/Jets pre-season game here in Winnipeg and it was way too loud. I don't recall the Dome being so loud but maybe that's the trend these days.
Cycling76er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 01:43 PM   #54
Envitro
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OGmudbone View Post

Yeah, we're in 205 and exact same thoughts.
Envitro is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 02:46 PM   #55
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe the arenas all cranked up the volume during the COVID seasons and forgot to lower them back to normal levels.
Old 10-14-2022, 03:24 PM   #56
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

If you're in line with the blue line speakers its intense... way too loud.
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 03:38 PM   #57
The Familia
First Line Centre

Exp:

So if this many people are complaining about the noise level, and they are not just cranky old people, than what are the Flames going to do to rectify this? Has anyone actually made any formal complaints? Curious if they will actually listen to the fans and turn down the volume if the fans actually care enough to complain.
William Jennings Trophy - 2006
The Familia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 05:50 PM   #58
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
Custom molded musician earplugs, the best few hundred dollars you will ever spend. I don't go to any arena or concert event without them. they're discrete and won't make things sound muffled, in fact I find they make it easier to pick out the components of a performance instead of everything sounding like a writhing mass of pressure waves.

I waited too long and regret not being able to get back the hearing of my youth, but it might not be too late for some of you to stop the loss now.
You can also get some from Costco hearing aid department for less than $100.

100000% agree it's the best money you will ever spend.

I don't go to a DJ show without them.
Old 10-16-2022, 02:01 PM   #59
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

It's way too loud at the Wranglers game. Had to leave 5 minutes into the game because my kid was in pain/couldn't handle how loud it was. We went to many Hitmen games before and had no issues
calf is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to calf For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2022, 04:31 PM   #60
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiggy77 View Post
I wish they cheated and micd the crowd and pumped that rather than pumping the music and announcers, it feel way more like a football stadium.
Thank you for this post, for I can show my friends IRL and say "See??? Someone else on the internet other than me thinks it's a good idea, I'm not crazy!"