Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-05-2022, 07:09 PM   #1
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:
Default Canadian Women's Pro Soccer League announced.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/soc...ague-1.6664762

Quote:
Christine Sinclair and former national teammate Diana Matheson announced on Monday plans to kick off a domestic professional women's league in 2025, featuring eight teams throughout Canada.

Vancouver Whitecaps are onboard, so it sounds legit.

Calgary, with the Spruce Meadows facility may be in play.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2022, 07:26 PM   #2
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good stuff. Whitecaps already committing and Air Canada and CIBC being on board seems to be a good foundation with 2.5 years left to build on.

Really interested to see what is involved when it comes to Calgary. Having Cavalry involved with a club playing at Spruce Meadows just makes a lot of sense.

Last edited by shermanator; 12-05-2022 at 07:31 PM.
shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 07:28 PM   #3
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I read the buy in is 8-10 million. You need that kind of investment to do it right.

Mccree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 07:33 PM   #4
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks like Calgary Foothills are involved.

https://www.instagram.com/p/ClzznkjL_Md/

Last edited by shermanator; 12-05-2022 at 07:37 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2022, 07:34 PM   #5
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

White Caps and Foothills have been confirmed as 2 of the 8 so far.

Old 12-05-2022, 07:43 PM   #6
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is great to hear. Do the foothills and the cavalry have any official relationship?
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 08:26 PM   #7
AndyM
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
Good stuff. Whitecaps already committing and Air Canada and CIBC being on board seems to be a good foundation with 2.5 years left to build on.

Really interested to see what is involved when it comes to Calgary. Having Cavalry involved with a club playing at Spruce Meadows just makes a lot of sense.
I can share CPL and Cavalry are not involved. This group wants to distance itself from anything related to Canadian Soccer Business. You can imagine why.
AndyM is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AndyM For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2022, 08:42 PM   #8
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyM View Post
I can share CPL and Cavalry are not involved. This group wants to distance itself from anything related to Canadian Soccer Business. You can imagine why.
Why?
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 08:54 PM   #9
AndyM
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoho View Post
Why?
https://www.tsn.ca/rick-westhead-fou...idle-1.1835850

https://dailyhive.com/vancouver/mens...ccer-statement

Just the tip of the iceberg.
AndyM is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AndyM For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2022, 06:14 AM   #10
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sounds like this is very much a rogue league, which means things could get messy quickly. I don't get why the CSA would try and block a group trying to invest in the women's game but we all know they find new and exciting ways to #### things up so don't put it past them.

Calgary wise, if Foothills is involved and not Cavalry, where would the club play? If they don't work out an agreement to play at Spruce Meadows, there is no other facility in this city that's currently suitable for professional soccer.

In the past Foothills have struggled to get a consistent place to play when working with the city, so other than building an outside stadium at their field house, I'm not sure what other stadium they would be allowed to upgrade to give people a good game day experience...

Old 12-06-2022, 11:39 AM   #11
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
Sounds like this is very much a rogue league, which means things could get messy quickly. I don't get why the CSA would try and block a group trying to invest in the women's game but we all know they find new and exciting ways to #### things up so don't put it past them.

Calgary wise, if Foothills is involved and not Cavalry, where would the club play? If they don't work out an agreement to play at Spruce Meadows, there is no other facility in this city that's currently suitable for professional soccer.

In the past Foothills have struggled to get a consistent place to play when working with the city, so other than building an outside stadium at their field house, I'm not sure what other stadium they would be allowed to upgrade to give people a good game day experience...
There fieldhouse is BRUTAL for viewing. You are lucky if 100 people can watch. It is a great facility for the players but will no be suitable for any professional team and fans.

Old 12-06-2022, 11:49 AM   #12
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mccree View Post
There fieldhouse is BRUTAL for viewing. You are lucky if 100 people can watch. It is a great facility for the players but will no be suitable for any professional team and fans.
There's going to be fans?
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 11:53 AM   #13
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Great news. I am gonna buy season tickets for the closest team even if we can't make all the games. So many soccer families with girls playing these days asking for this and going to be attending games imo. I expect more like 500-1500 a game and that the salaries will need to be very modest to start with but this is long overdue.

The CSB drama is dumb imo. I get that the folks who got shut out are feeling spurned but these ppl stepped up when no one else would, negotiated a good deal and are clearly ready to reinvest back in Canadian soccer through the CPL. This new group is doing same. No need for bad feelings between them.

To me a lot of the hand wringing to date just feels like the classic old white european dudes trying to control the scene like they always have in Canada and being affronted that anyone else dare take over. The provincial associations and these guys are like little mini fifas.
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Matty81 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2022, 11:58 AM   #14
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm cheering for this, but I have my doubts.

I haven't gone to nearly as many Cavalry games as I would have liked, and I'll probably go to even fewer women's pro games. Real life happens and between kids activities (like soccer), work, doctors/dentist/eye appointments, my own hobbies, and finding time for myself/wife, it's hard to get to these things to support them. I imagine many people are in my boat.

If I'm being honest, if I do find the time I'm probably going to a Cavalry game instead of this.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 11:58 AM   #15
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty81 View Post
Great news. I am gonna buy season tickets for the closest team even if we can't make all the games. So many soccer families with girls playing these days asking for this and going to be attending games imo. I expect more like 500-1500 a game and that the salaries will need to be very modest to start with but this is long overdue.

The CSB drama is dumb imo. I get that the folks who got shut out are feeling spurned but these ppl stepped up when no one else would, negotiated a good deal and are clearly ready to reinvest back in Canadian soccer through the CPL. This new group is doing same. No need for bad feelings between them.

To me a lot of the hand wringing to date just feels like the classic old white european dudes trying to control the scene like they always have in Canada and being affronted that anyone else dare take over. The provincial associations and these guys are like little mini fifas.
I would be floored (in a good way) if they ever got 1500.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2022, 01:33 PM   #16
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mccree View Post
Agreed, I've watched a PDL game there and not only was the viewing experience terrible, but the ball kept hitting the roof on goal kicks. But that's why I mentioned building an outdoor stadium at the field house. Foothills was planning on building a pitch outside for years but just never did.

Just as with CPL, the game day experience has to be good or else people aren't going to be drawn in to the game. So really the only fit as of today is Spruce Meadows.

Old 12-06-2022, 03:26 PM   #17
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Matheson interview on TSN. Says that the CSA is in support of this project. Which is good.

https://www.tsn.ca/soccer/video/math...nal-le~2577906

Old 12-07-2022, 06:59 PM   #18
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

^ Heard an interview with Matheson in 960 this morning. Certainly some lofty goals and promises. Such as expanding to 10, then 12 teams as well as the One million dollar investment into a team turning into $10 million.
Old 12-07-2022, 08:22 PM   #19
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it's actually a $1 million expansion fee with operating expenses of $8-10 million in the first few years. To give you an idea of scale, back in March 2021 CPL clubs said it was about $4 million a year to operate. That's definitely gone up since as the salary and travel costs are up.

Saw another interview where Matheson mentioned the idea of bringing all 8 teams to one location and having the West and East teams play each other to save on travel. Interesting idea, although I think if Calgary is playing the same 3 teams all year at home it will get stale quickly.

Last edited by shermanator; 12-07-2022 at 08:46 PM.
Old 12-08-2022, 12:59 AM   #20
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good on these ladies breaking barriers…

https://twitter.com/user/status/1600531025565995008
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cam_wmh For This Useful Post: