Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2018, 01:50 PM   #41
The Boy Wonder
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Maybe, but the player has the real responsibility to make the best of whatever situation he’s put into. I don’t think Bennett has done this.
haha and our argument starts again.
The Boy Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 01:57 PM   #42
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Maybe, but the player has the real responsibility to make the best of whatever situation he’s put into. I don’t think Bennett has done this.
How has he not done that? He was put on a checking line with checking line mates and was in the top tier on the team for hits and takeaways....

Sounds like making the best of the situation to me.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2018, 03:05 PM   #43
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Even last season maybe 10% of his even strength time he played with Monahan and Gaudreau and looked lost.

The year before that he got ample time with both Versteeg and Gaudreau. And of course before that he was with Backlund and Frolik in the top 6.

Ferland started on the fourth line, moved up to the third, then got top 6 time before earning his spot on the top line. That's a player making most of his opportunity. Bennett went nearly the opposite.

Ironically, if Bennett has the same attitude as his supporters (blaming his situation on his linemates and role), he's going to flounder out of this league. Luckily it sounds like he understands he needs to be personally better.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2018, 03:07 PM   #44
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Bennett is quite a bit ahead of Yakupov in terms of defensive play, physicality and vision. Not very comparable players in terms of skill sets IMO. Bennett has a much more well rounded game.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 03:14 PM   #45
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
How has he not done that? He was put on a checking line with checking line mates and was in the top tier on the team for hits and takeaways....

Sounds like making the best of the situation to me.
Jankowski and Bennett should not be a checking line? At best two-way.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 03:15 PM   #46
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boy Wonder View Post
haha and our argument starts again.
You think he has done as well as possible?
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 03:19 PM   #47
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahan For Mayor View Post
I remember being ecstatic that we were going to get the chance to draft Bennett. I projected him as the best player of the draft outside of Ekblad. In hindsight damn would it be nice to have Drai or Reinhart.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Because they are completely different players.
Nail was boom/bust. Either a topline player or nothing because he didn't have anything else to his game
Sam will have a role in the NHL. You are telling me that he's going to be out of the league completely in the next couple of years?
Absurd.
Done as a Flame
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 03:34 PM   #48
The Boy Wonder
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
You think he has done as well as possible?
No but really can you say that about any player when the team failed to make the playoffs by 11 points last season?

we both want to see more from him,

I just fall into the optimistic group where I believe the GG system and playing him with checking line players and basically expecting him to come in as a 20 year old or however old he was and be our top line centre was unrealistic and constitutes mismanagement by flames brass.

You fall closer to the group on here that believes he will be out of the league (notice I said closer to)

There is definitely room for improvement from the player and by all accounts he has acknowledged that and puts more pressure on himself than anyone else...

He is a late bloomer, and it is basically the Backlund argument all over again.

Half of CP hates him and thinks he is replacement level or lower, until he matures physically and discovers a game and role that works for him.

All I know is that if Bill Peters insists on using Bennett the same way as GG did, I think we can expect similar results, aside from hopefully his ridiculously low shooting % improves a little, and he gets some good bounces.

Going back to the Bennett highlight reel from last year, he does a ton of things very very well and he has all the makings of an excellent top 6 forward in this league if he can put it all together.

But I will definitely call it mismanagement if Bennett gets traded out of here and goes on to flourish elsewhere
Old 09-20-2018, 03:40 PM   #49
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I just fall into the optimistic group where I believe the GG system and playing him with checking line players and basically expecting him to come in as a 20 year old or however old he was and be our top line centre was unrealistic and constitutes mismanagement by flames brass.
Counter-intuitive? Both being a checking line forward and top line centre?
Old 09-20-2018, 03:47 PM   #50
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
That would be a great player.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 03:56 PM   #51
The Boy Wonder
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Obviously at different points over the two GG years.

Year 1 they tried to make Bennett stick as a centre

then when that failed he was relegated to playing with mostly scrubs and in a checking role
Old 09-20-2018, 03:57 PM   #52
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Obviously at different points over the two GG years.

Year 1 they tried to make Bennett stick as a centre

then when that failed he was relegated to playing with mostly scrubs and in a checking role
Edit: you're talking Gultuzan's year one. He still played with Versteeg a lot on the second/third line. Not in a checking role but offensive opportunity. Until it was obvious he couldn't cut it. If he can't play in the top 6...where else do you play him if not in the bottom 6? How is that on anyone but him?

And three years after a center is drafted, it's not unusual to have them play center if they ever intend him on becoming a fulltime center. Look at Monahan.

Last edited by Oling_Roachinen; 09-20-2018 at 04:02 PM.
Old 09-20-2018, 04:37 PM   #53
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Ahahahahahahaha!!!!!
So... are we ever going to find out what was so funny?
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2018, 04:49 PM   #54
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's actually very interesting how closesly Sam Reinhart and Sam Bennett have tracked with each other at 5 on 5:

Bennett - 74 points (60 primary) in 3128.02 minutes

Reinhart - 78 points (58 primary) in 3279.31 minutes

What makes one guy a "50 point" forward and the other guy "done in the league in a few years?

One guy played immediately on his team's top PP unit with the likes of Jack Eichel, Ryan O'Reilly, Kyle Okposo, Evander Kane, and Rasmus Ristolainen, and has logged 92% more power play ice time in his career.

Quote:
Edit: you're talking Gultuzan's year one. He still played with Versteeg a lot on the second/third line. Not in a checking role but offensive opportunity. Until it was obvious he couldn't cut it.
Strange recollection you have there. I seem to recall Brouwer finally being removed from Bennett's line, and Versteeg-Bennett-Chiasson being one of our best lines down the stretch, and probably our best line in the playoffs and our only line to produce at ES while, as Treliving himself pointed out following that year, matched up to the likes of Kesler and taking it right to them. Even though one of those players was Alex Chiasson, the same one on a PTO with the Oilers right now, not a player who belongs in a top nine role. The next year Chiasson was gone and Gulutzan reverted back to, first Brouwer, then Lazar, then after a very brief stint with Jagr, Garnet Hathaway. All, again, players who do not belong in a top nine role on any half-decent team and may not even be advantageous in a fourth line role. And in Year 2, Versteeg was also not the same player, as he was an offensive zone turnover machine.

Chiasson.
Brouwer.
Lazar.
Hathaway.

Sorry dude, these players being in the Flames in any offensive capacity is NOT on Sam Bennett.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 09-20-2018 at 04:51 PM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 05:01 PM   #55
Vox
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Even last season maybe 10% of his even strength time he played with Monahan and Gaudreau and looked lost.

The year before that he got ample time with both Versteeg and Gaudreau. And of course before that he was with Backlund and Frolik in the top 6.

Ferland started on the fourth line, moved up to the third, then got top 6 time before earning his spot on the top line. That's a player making most of his opportunity. Bennett went nearly the opposite.

Ironically, if Bennett has the same attitude as his supporters (blaming his situation on his linemates and role), he's going to flounder out of this league. Luckily it sounds like he understands he needs to be personally better.
He played 7.6% of his time with Monahan and Gaudreau, and scored a slightly higher rate than normal, but statistically insignificant. Not much time with them at all.

Interestingly, he played 10% of his time with Janko and Jagr, and scored 21% of his points with them, so basically twice his normal rate.
Vox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 05:33 PM   #56
Monahan For Mayor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
It's actually very interesting how closesly Sam Reinhart and Sam Bennett have tracked with each other at 5 on 5:

Bennett - 74 points (60 primary) in 3128.02 minutes

Reinhart - 78 points (58 primary) in 3279.31 minutes

What makes one guy a "50 point" forward and the other guy "done in the league in a few years?

One guy played immediately on his team's top PP unit with the likes of Jack Eichel, Ryan O'Reilly, Kyle Okposo, Evander Karne, and Rasmus Ristolainen, and has logged 92% more power play ice time in his career.

Strange recollection you have there. I seem to recall Brouwer finally being removed from Bennett's line, and Versteeg-Bennett-Chiasson being one of our best lines down the stretch, and probably our best line in the playoffs and our only line to produce at ES while, as Treliving himself pointed out following that year, matched up to the likes of Kesler and taking it right to them. Even though one of those players was Alex Chiasson, the same one on a PTO with the Oilers right now, not a player who belongs in a top nine role. The next year Chiasson was gone and Gulutzan reverted back to, first Brouwer, then Lazar, then after a very brief stint with Jagr, Garnet Hathaway. All, again, players who do not belong in a top nine role on any half-decent team and may not even be advantageous in a fourth line role. And in Year 2, Versteeg was also not the same player, as he was an offensive zone turnover machine.

Chiasson.
Brouwer.
Lazar.
Hathaway.

Sorry dude, these players being in the Flames in any offensive capacity is NOT on Sam Bennett.
Um one has hit 50 points ?
Monahan For Mayor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahan For Mayor For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2018, 09:39 PM   #57
Macindoc
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahan For Mayor View Post
Um one has hit 50 points ?
I have a strong suspicion that if Bennett had played on the PP with O'Reilly and Eichel last year, rather than spending most of his time with Hathaway, he likely would have also had 50 points. Most of the players who were on the wing opposite Bennett last year were best suited to be 13th-14th forwards.

Not comparable situations at all.
Macindoc is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Macindoc For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2018, 10:17 PM   #58
jonkaupp
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Bennett is quite a bit ahead of Yakupov in terms of defensive play, physicality and vision. Not very comparable players in terms of skill sets IMO. Bennett has a much more well rounded game.
One thing Flames fans should understand, quite wholly, is that Sam Bennett’s defensive play has actually been quite poor. Nice try though to the ultimate stan for Bennett on Calgary puck. Vision? Lol you just love to pull meaningless buzzwords for every poor defense you have for your boy
jonkaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 10:21 PM   #59
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The Sam Bennett as new whipping boy is getting out of hand here...

Crying shame how badly the flames have mismanaged Bennett
During last season there were some select posters who were baiting people into going off topic during the games even when the Flames were winning. It became very negative and toxic While I do think there is some genuine posters who are concerned about Bennett; There are some who I believe are trolls and are using Bennett to throw some threads off topic and stir antagonizing debates. How else do you explain all the negativity around Bennett over 2 preseason games were he wasn't even our worse player and was simply playing and doing the job he was asked to do?

It gets a little suspicious when his name gets brought up in the middle of a positive thread, or game thread and quickly turns it into a distraction and debate.

Last edited by DazzlinDino; 09-20-2018 at 10:25 PM.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DazzlinDino For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2018, 10:35 PM   #60
Monahan For Mayor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Icon55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macindoc View Post
I have a strong suspicion that if Bennett had played on the PP with O'Reilly and Eichel last year, rather than spending most of his time with Hathaway, he likely would have also had 50 points. Most of the players who were on the wing opposite Bennett last year were best suited to be 13th-14th forwards.

Not comparable situations at all.
Reinhart worked his way up and earned the icetime by playing with worse linemates. He wasn't just gifted the ice time. Bennett has never been able to push himself up the line up, and when he's had the chance hasn't capitalized. Reinhart has 140 points in 3 seasons, Bennett has 89. One had 25 goals last season the other had 11. Let's not just pretend that Bennett is as good as a player as Reinhart. Before I get targeted as a Bennett hater, I actually wanted Bennett way more then Reinhart at the draft. One has just developed much faster then the other.
Monahan For Mayor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahan For Mayor For This Useful Post: