Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-18-2018, 04:04 PM   #541
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm scared they're going to look like the Minnesota Wild. Ugh....

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 06:52 PM   #542
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Talk of Macron being the league wide kit manufacturer after this Tweet.

https://twitter.com/KurtLarsonCPL/st...15974824267776

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 05:03 AM   #543
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
Guess we will see how many people are in the stands on the 29th. I'm not expecting a big crowd myself, but I also have a very cynical view of the Calgary sports scene as a whole.

Anyways, the club just announced their coaching staff. Martin Nash will be the assistant coach and technical director, and Jordan Santiago will be the goalkeeping coach. Not much else in the press conference to be honest.
Well to be fair, the Calgary sports scene won't have much to do with a low turnout here, it will be because of the prices. I'm with you, I think Calgary sports fans are the worst, but it's even more annoying when fans can see the failure in pricing before the first game even happens.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 05:11 AM   #544
jayswin

Exp:

I mean at these prices you're looking at $100 to take your family, supposing one kid is over 12, plus parking, to see what was essentially supposed to be a loss leader, exhibition game?

PLUS you put fans on temp bleachers and grass? It's like putting a bullet through your head right before you go to sell your team to city residents.
Old 09-20-2018, 08:22 AM   #545
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

And yet in Halifax, 6000 people showed up in July to watch an "Atlantic selects" team take on Fortuna Dusseldorf's U21 side. Prices were $15-35 for the game. A few players on the Atlantic Selects were former Calgary Foothills PDL castaways. Not exactly a high level.

I think the Calgary market has more to do with it than you think. This city shows up for the big events and everything else isn't good enough.

Old 09-20-2018, 09:15 AM   #546
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Yeah, I already blew up that excuse earlier in this thread. It's a little convenient that you're already building in excuses to brush off any failures the CPL may experience as being not their fault.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 12:12 PM   #547
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Meh, not like you'll be going to game anyways. Enjoy adding to your post count for the sake of arguing, though.

The Following User Says Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2018, 12:28 PM   #548
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

You're right. I'm not. Because I'm not going to pay CPL prices for a PDL exhibition game in a half built facility.

And if those poor decisions hampers attendance for this game, that's not the city's fault. It's the team and league's fault.
Old 09-20-2018, 12:45 PM   #549
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Shermanator if I was in town I'd be all over coming the game! I attended the first Al Classico and I had a great time (at Clarke Field in Edmonton with Calgary winning no less!) Tickets were free at the time though, but based on what I saw, and if they are wearing Cavalry colors, I'd pay.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 01:09 PM   #550
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Show Up Ship Out is on again for this game. $25 gets a match ticket, transportation to and from the game, and a pint. $15 gets a child's match ticket and transportation to and from the game.

I'm looking into what this means for those who already have tickets.

Last edited by shermanator; 09-20-2018 at 01:12 PM.
Old 09-20-2018, 03:28 PM   #551
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

I wish I wasn't working that night
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 03:31 PM   #552
Thunderball
Franchise Player

Exp:

The relatively high price tag for the friendly really turned me off, but this offer from the Ship really changes things. If I can convince a buddy to come do it, and the weather isn't ghastly, I might check it out after all.
Thunderball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 07:39 AM   #553
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Yeah, that's a much better deal.
Old 09-22-2018, 11:27 AM   #554
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Went and met with Spruce Meadows folks and checked out the grounds today. It may not seem like much has changed, but in the last 3 months they've ripped out the fountains and repaired the area, improved the irrigation and drainage of the pitch, and built the retaining wall on the end that will house the supporters section. They also explained the layout on each side of the field, and each will have stands close to the pitch. Hard to explain without photos or being there live, but the ground will be intimate.

The club wants to partner with bars to make transportation easier from around the city. Problem is, they don't know who is interested yet. Our supporters group has hookups for Wurst and Hudson's so I think they are going to follow those leads to start. Not sure what will actually happen.

I brought up the concern with parking charges and it sounds like feedback on that has been overwhelmingly negative, so hopefully that sways their decision. They are also not expecting a big crowd next Saturday, but cited weather as a big factor in that.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2018, 01:42 PM   #555
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ Encouraging stuff. I like that it will be intimate. The renderings, although preliminary, made it look like there would be acres of space between the stands and the sidelines. The tighter the better!

Bar partnerships are going to be huge. Because the relative isolation of Spruce Meadows (although they do have some hospitality facilities on-site) will mean that a supporters march to the stadium a la Whitecaps won't be possible. But letting people warm up in a bar and then make their way will be fun for many.

Glad they have heard it re: parking. And no doubt ticket prices as well. I hope that they don't lean too heavily on weather as an excuse because cost for the product/experience is way off on this one. But I'm glad that they have been hearing about it.

Thanks for the update. My optimism metre just ticked up a notch after a few ticks downward recently.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 09:08 AM   #556
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Few more updates on the stadium from Ian Allison of Spruce Meadows. Mentions the kit design will be announced in a few weeks, and that around 1000 tickets have been sold for the game on Saturday thus far.

http://www.totalsoccerproject.com/20...pruce-meadows/

Old 09-24-2018, 09:23 AM   #557
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

The $10 for parking idea is kind of understandable given they need revenue streams, but when Spruce Meadows is free parking normally, and you pretty much *need* to drive to get there, that was always going to be problematic from a PR perspective.

Though, they could probably come out next year and say "we heard you, and now parking is $3/$5 instead of $10" and come off almost smelling like roses.

Also, 1000 tickets sold is a pretty good number, I'd say.
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2018, 09:45 AM   #558
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

For anyone who have bought tickets, the Ship's bus will be free...

https://twitter.com/ShipSoccer/statu...50643001597952

Old 09-26-2018, 05:33 PM   #559
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

I was talking about the prospects game with a friend of mine, and he mentioned that discounted or even free tickets with a donation to the Calgary Food Bank would have been a much better way of handling this game. The pricing is not conducive to getting a variety of fans excited for the upcoming season.
Old 09-27-2018, 05:13 AM   #560
jayswin

Exp:

Yeah, this almost seems like they just wanted their members to come out for a preview of the field and didn't have interest in the chance to connect with the city and get new fans on board.

Not sure what the reasoning or line of thinking would be for that.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post: