Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-15-2016, 09:22 PM   #201
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think Reimer is going anywhere. He will be the goalie the Leafs keep. I am intrigued by Bernier though, I mean the guy was considered one of the very best upcoming young goalies before he landed on a crappy Leafs squad. I think he still has the tools, he just needs to get his confidence back by getting the hell out of TO. He could probably be had for Hiller straight up.
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2016, 09:46 PM   #202
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I am intrigued by Bernier though, I mean the guy was considered one of the very best upcoming young goalies before he landed on a crappy Leafs squad. I think he still has the tools, he just needs to get his confidence back by getting the hell out of TO.
Exactly my thoughts. I was hoping the rumors of the Flames going after him in December were true.
Old 02-15-2016, 10:20 PM   #203
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

I feel like Howard will be a Flame by summer. It gets us a goaltender for a few years, and Detroit would have to take some junk back in the trade (Raymond, Smid, Wideman, Stajan).

I'd be willing to give him a shot. Despite being garbage this season, he did have a .915 sv% in the 325 games prior to this year. I don't think you can write off a guy like that after a poor 21-game stretch. He's not a top 10 tender in this league, but i think he's as good or better than Ramo.
Old 02-15-2016, 10:24 PM   #204
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Howard's contract lasts until 2019, and if the idea is to re-sign Bennett and any other young players that may need raises during that time, Howard completely cripples that strategy.

You simply cannot pay mediocre goalies top money in this league for significant term. I'd rather have all of Wideman, Smid, Stajan, and Raymond on the books for only one more season than have Howard for another three.

Howard solves no problems for this roster and only creates them with that contract.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2016, 10:37 PM   #205
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Howard's contract lasts until 2019, and if the idea is to re-sign Bennett and any other young players that may need raises during that time, Howard completely cripples that strategy.

You simply cannot pay mediocre goalies top money in this league for significant term. I'd rather have all of Wideman, Smid, Stajan, and Raymond on the books for only one more season than have Howard for another three.

Howard solves no problems for this roster and only creates them with that contract.
You wouldn't trade Stajan for Howard? I don't think we can have our 4th line C making 3.125M. That should be Granlund's spot, at about 800k. I'd feel better about Howard @ 5.3M and Granlund @ .8M, than I would about Ramo @ 4.0M and Stajan @ 3.125M.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Fonz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2016, 10:45 PM   #206
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think there is no way the Flames management will do something like sign Howard. There are better, younger options out there with far less risk.
If there was a contract with the same length and value to send the other way, maybe, maybe as a back-up, but no chance do they bring that guy in IMO.
As it stands how does Howard help Calgary at all?
Old 02-15-2016, 10:48 PM   #207
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:
Default 2015/2016 Trade Speculation and Rumors

Quote:
Originally Posted by blender View Post
I think there is no way the Flames management will do something like sign Howard. There are better, younger options out there with far less risk.
If there was a contract with the same length and value to send the other way, maybe, maybe as a back-up, but no chance do they bring that guy in IMO.
As it stands how does Howard help Calgary at all?

I agree that it's probably not a fit mostly for cap reasons.

But as to your question, he helps Calgary because he's an average NHL goaltender that probably makes this a playoff team.

If there are younger better options then yeah go for it. But you have to realize that Gillies isn't going to be ready for probably 2 years and there's nothing else in the system during that time.
Old 02-15-2016, 10:53 PM   #208
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by heep223 View Post
I agree that it's probably not a fit mostly for cap reasons.

But as to your question, he helps Calgary because he's an average NHL goaltender that probably makes this a playoff team.

If there are younger better options then yeah go for it. But you have to realize that Gillies isn't going to be ready for probably 2 years and there's nothing else in the system during that time.
I'm well aware of the situation, but is Howard even average this season? I haven't checked, but I don't think so. And even if he is average, why would we want an average goalie? Sure it's an upgrade, but there are better options.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blender For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2016, 10:56 PM   #209
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

Howard hasn't been even average since 2012-13. The last two seasons he's been poor backup level, and this season he has been AHL level. He is dropping off fast, and barring a big turnaround that hit and term is absolutely shocking.

"You ain't gotta like me. You're just mad 'cause I tell it how it is and you tell it how it might be."
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to united For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2016, 11:00 PM   #210
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blender View Post
I'm well aware of the situation, but is Howard even average this season? I haven't checked, but I don't think so. And even if he is average, why would we want an average goalie? Sure it's an upgrade, but there are better options.

I'm not really sure re Howard's play, I haven't seen him much. He's having a bad year but has been a good number one goalie in recent years. He still has a career .915 even with a .903 this season dragging it down. Mrazek straight up stole the net in Detroit.

Anyways yeah if you think one of the cheaper younger goalies is available without giving up picks or prospects, then I agree. But at this point Howard could probably be had for almost nothing whereas younger goalies will cost assets.

I just think that it's this team's biggest most glaring weakness and it's probably the easiest to fix, would also do wonders for the PK. Everyone says team D hasn't been very good, though I've yet to see anything besides anecdotes to back this up. Tough to commit to a structured d zone system when you think every shot is going in. I think there's a good chance Howard makes this a playoff team or at least gives them a chance for the next few years.
Old 02-15-2016, 11:05 PM   #211
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Despite my aversion to Howard, I am in 100% steadfast agreement that goaltending is the major flaw.

I would go as far as to say with average Kiprusoff goaltending this Flames team would be challenging the Kings for the division.

It's not just the numbers, it's the way the team plays in front of a good goalie.
Old 02-15-2016, 11:07 PM   #212
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ramo settled things down on the goaltending front for a while, then he went down and we're right back at square goddamn one, early October to November 2015. Flipping back and forth between two blah's in Hiller and Ortio. If the Flames still feel like the playoffs are a realistic hope, then they're chasing goalies.
Old 02-15-2016, 11:09 PM   #213
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fonz View Post
You wouldn't trade Stajan for Howard? I don't think we can have our 4th line C making 3.125M. That should be Granlund's spot, at about 800k. I'd feel better about Howard @ 5.3M and Granlund @ .8M, than I would about Ramo @ 4.0M and Stajan @ 3.125M.
This all not considering that Stajan only has one season left on his contract.

The reason why Howard's contract really hurts is that it cripples our chances of re-signing our young core long-term.

Stajan's contract doesn't.

Quote:
In what league does Howard make the Flames a playoff team?
Old 02-15-2016, 11:15 PM   #214
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Stajan is signed until 2018 . That's 2 more years after this one ends. Thanks for the parting present Burke.
Old 02-15-2016, 11:51 PM   #215
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not really sure re Howard's play, I haven't seen him much. He's having a bad year but has been a good number one goalie in recent years. He still has a career .915 even with a .903 this season dragging it down. Mrazek straight up stole the net in Detroit.

It wasn't a hard net to steal. Mrazek politely took it.

Even at 9.15 (which despite this year is probably close to his average, he's been above it only 3 times out of 6 years) he'd be the 38th worst goalie in the NHL right now (of those playing 10 of more games.

Howard is not good. His best years weren't even THAT good. He's 100% desirable only by name recognition.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2016, 11:56 PM   #216
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Howard is not good. His best years weren't even THAT good. He's 100% desirable only by name recognition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
In what league does Howard make the Flames a playoff team?

My view is that the Flames would easily be a playoff team this year with an average starting NHL goalie.

Alright it sounds like Howard is not that.

The Flames should absolutely be looking for a goalie in the UFA or trade market that gives them average goaltending for the next few years, so they can be a playoff team while they hope for Gillies to become their franchise guy.

Do you give up assets to get said goalie? Absolutely, without a doubt in my mind. It sends the message that management expects this team to make the playoffs and win hockey games.

It has been by far the biggest issue that this team has had and continues to have going forward. It's the most important position
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to heep223 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2016, 12:32 AM   #217
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saillias View Post
Stajan is signed until 2018 . That's 2 more years after this one ends. Thanks for the parting present Burke.

Are you expecting Burke to leave soon?
Old 02-16-2016, 12:51 AM   #218
Jaydee
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Why not go after Greiss
Old 02-16-2016, 06:54 AM   #219
underGRADFlame
Lives In Fear Of Labelling

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saillias View Post
Yes, because Matt Stajan and his 4th line centre role has been the issue this year.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to underGRADFlame For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2016, 08:10 AM   #220
Stupid
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by underGRADFlame View Post
Yes, because Matt Stajan and his 4th line centre role has been the issue this year.
They're talking about what he's costing in that role, not his performace alone.
Closed Thread