Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-15-2014, 01:28 PM   #1
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Get The $55 Koodo Sask/MB Plan in Alberta

Tired of paying $80 for 2GB of data, limited amounts of minutes and no Canada wide long distance calling? So was I, so I decided to do something about it.

I've been with Rogers for the past 4 years (My 3 year contract had ended and i've been paying monthly for the past year.)

I have relatives in Saskatchewan and they have a plan with Koodo that consists of 5GB of data, Unlimited Canada wide Calling + Texting + Call Display + Voice Mail. All for only $55. I thought to myself why should everyone living just a few hours away get a much better plan than me? So I did some research on the plan and thought to myself i'm 100% sure I can get this in Calgary. I will lay out the steps 1 by 1 so you too can beat the system and get this amazing plan.

1. Have an unlocked phone, there is no other way to do this, you need an unlocked phone. You also need to have a current Cell Phone plan with any carrier.

2. Go to a place that sells Koodo phone plans (I don't recommend going to a Koodo store. Try a Wireless Wave, Best Buy Mobile, London Drugs).

3. Tell them you are going to Saskatchewan for work or school and you need to activate a Saskatchewan line and that your friend/relative recommended a great plan with Koodo for $55. (school is believable still because it's the beginning of September)

4. The person selling you the plan will most likely think you need a Saskatchewan Address & Postal Code to get the new plan. THIS IS NOT THE CASE tell them to just try with your Current Address / Postal Code. It will work. Let them know you'll update the billing address later.

5. They will now give you a Koodo Sim Card and your new Saskatchewan number, put it in test it out make sure it's working. Take it out and put in your old Sim Card.

6. Go home check your email and set yourself up on Self Serve - Monthly Customers

7. Go to Mobile Phone --> Change Number. This is where you will be able to Port your current mobile phone number on top of your Saskatchewan one, after this step you will now have the $55 Koodo plan with your 403/587 number.

8. You need your current account number with your previous carrier (It will say on your last bill). You need to make sure you have no existing balances with your previous carrier make sure all payments are up to date in order for this to work.

9. Once you confirm this turn your phone off for 15-20 minutes and pop your Koodo Sim Card in.

10. You will receive an email telling you that the Port has been successful and you're now good to go.

There is obviously going to be a few questions, if you have any feel free to ask. I did this 2 weeks ago and it has been going flawless for me.
jg13 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jg13 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2014, 05:04 PM   #2
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I did this too about 6 months ago. No problem porting over my Fido number to Koodo. Also you get a 10% BYOD (bring your own device) discount. My bill is $49.50+tax monthly.
1_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1_Flames_Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2014, 06:00 PM   #3
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

How is the Koodo coverage for in city and in the field? I'm pretty sick of Bell, but atleast they shared with Telus for range.
TSXCman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 06:50 PM   #4
taffeyb
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Koodo is actually owned by Telus so coverage should not be an issue.
taffeyb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to taffeyb For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2014, 12:19 AM   #5
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSXCman View Post
How is the Koodo coverage for in city and in the field? I'm pretty sick of Bell, but atleast they shared with Telus for range.
I live fairly rural and travel around the province a lot and haven't had any issues with Koodo's coverage. As was mentioned I believe they use all of Telus's towers so coverage would be the same as with Telus which would be the same as Bell as well I believe.
1_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1_Flames_Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2014, 01:48 AM   #6
Chill Cosby
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'm a terrible liar.

Is there any chance I could just walk into a Best Buy mobile, be straight up with what I want them to do, and still get the plan just fine?

I seriously want this plan. I regularly hit 2-3 GB at least, and haven't seen less than an 85$ bill in ages.
Chill Cosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 02:29 AM   #7
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chill Cosby View Post
I'm a terrible liar.

Is there any chance I could just walk into a Best Buy mobile, be straight up with what I want them to do, and still get the plan just fine?

I seriously want this plan. I regularly hit 2-3 GB at least, and haven't seen less than an 85$ bill in ages.
I'd imagine many reps aren't even aware of this plan. Regardless, they wouldn't be able to give out this plan so easily, otherwise they would have done so to make more sales for their stores. It would subsequently lead to Koodo cracking down on these dealers in some way.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 09:47 AM   #8
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

So why does Sask/MB get great rates and Albertans are screwed? Government regulated?

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 09:56 AM   #9
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

^^ Both provinces have another province wide cell provider besides Bell, Rogers and Telus. They have SaskTel and MTS.

Funny how competition actually makes companies be competitive.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2014, 09:58 AM   #10
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
So why does Sask/MB get great rates and Albertans are screwed? Government regulated?
Not government regulated.

But they have government run competitors that charge rates required to break even rather than gouge at every turn.

Governments might be inefficient in running companies but in a market with high barriers to entry that limit competition having a crown option is much better than an oligopoly.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 09:58 AM   #11
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
No... because in Saskatchewan there is Sasktel that is operated by the provincial government, the equivalent of AGT before privatization. They operate a cell phone network that has very reasonable rates w/ good service so the Big three are forced to lower rates to compete. Tells you something when an inefficient government run organization is able to offer better prices and services than private organizations.

Alberta is a huge example of limited players in a field specific and the failure of deregulation/privatization, resulting in increased consumer costs. This applies to both power transmission, gas/heating and telecommunications.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 10:18 AM   #12
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had a friend who tried this a couple months back and he ended up needing to drive to Sask to get the plan. I don't remember details on why though.

Good to know that it can be gotten without driving though.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:20 AM   #13
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks for doing this. I've been looking for a way to cheat the system and this seems to work well. I'll be doing this once my contract expires.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 11:31 AM   #14
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

This sounds like an awesome deal. If my current contract didn't have 20 months remaining I would certainly look at getting this.

I'm currently on a $55 Telus plan which gives me unlimited calling and texting to 10 people/numbers and 200 minutes otherwise plus 1GB of data. Having additional data on the plan for $55 would be a really nice feature.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 03:49 PM   #15
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Any suggestions on how to do this if I am already with koodo?
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 05:29 PM   #16
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
^^ Both provinces have another province wide cell provider besides Bell, Rogers and Telus. They have SaskTel and MTS.

Funny how competition actually makes companies be competitive.
Indeed. I pay $66/month for unlimited calling, texting and data with all the extra features on MTS.

The unlimited data is actually 15GB/month till you get throttled. I find it extremely fair.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 07:06 PM   #17
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Coke View Post
Any suggestions on how to do this if I am already with koodo?
Does your current plan have unlimited Canada wide calling?
jg13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 08:44 PM   #18
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

No. I'm on a cheaper plan.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 12:19 AM   #19
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

I did this today, thank you. went to Koodo kyosk, the guy refused to try. Went across to the Bestbuy store in Southcenter, and a cute girl did the whole thing without question.

Got home with SK number, switched online, switched simcard, and was up in 20 minutes.

I now have $50 after -10% for bringing a phone, after tax it is $35 a month savings for a better plan than I had. I did pay a $120 penalty to Bell, but that will be made up soon.
TSXCman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TSXCman For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2014, 10:35 AM   #20
Righteous1
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I bought out the Nexus 5 unlocked from google at the play store (online) for $350. Now pay $50/month 2gb data unlimited text and calling Canada wide. Have VM but only stores 3 messages max I think. I'm with rogers
Righteous1 is offline   Reply With Quote