Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

Old 09-23-2020, 10:28 AM   #161
cKy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
To clarify he said he only watched him play one game "in person".
Sure, but if you're only watching the ESPN highlights for 30 seconds, all you are seeing is the goals.

I think seeing them live should be mandatory so you can see the entire process and mindset of the player. That's important. If all we're doing now is relying on stats to give out awards, we wont need to vote.

cKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 10:45 AM   #162
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cKy View Post
Sure, but if you're only watching the ESPN highlights for 30 seconds, all you are seeing is the goals.

I think seeing them live should be mandatory so you can see the entire process and mindset of the player. That's important. If all we're doing now is relying on stats to give out awards, we wont need to vote.
I'm assuming he meant seeing the player live in the same building, and that he watched him a lot more on TV - and not just highlights but complete games.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 10:46 AM   #163
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cKy View Post

That is just not possible, and you seem to be confusing "live" with "in person." One can watch "live" sporting events on their TV screen, while not actually be personally present at the event—"in person". I think this guy's confession is that he only once was in attendance at a game in which MacKinnon played, not that he only watched him in one game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 10:49 AM   #164
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

The fact that he is a career ppg player and still at -24 is hilarious. This stat pretty well sums up this McDavid Era of the Oilers, sure they could score, they just simply couldn't score more.

Last edited by TheIronMaiden; 09-23-2020 at 10:53 AM.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 11:00 AM   #165
delayedreflex
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by looooob View Post
Edmonton Oilers 71 games 83 points (+12) top 3 scorers

Draisaitl 71 GP 43 G 67 A 110 PTS -7
McDavid 64 GP 34 G 64 A 97 PTS -6
Nugent Hopkins 61 points

Colorado Avalanche 70 games 92 points (+22) top 3 scorers

Mackinnon 69 GP 35 G 58 A 93 PTS +13
Makar 50 GP 12 G 38 A 50 points
Burakovsky 45 points

ok I disagree with Draisaitl, fine. but how can multiple people justify McDavid as more VALUABLE than MacKinnon for this past season?
Wow I didn't realize just how much MacKinnon carried the Avalanche this year - seems like they had a lot of injuries to their forward lineup. If you weren't paying attention like me, you'd think for sure McDavid/Draisaitl would have carried Edmonton more because the rest of their roster is garbage, since Colorado has Rantanen/Landeskog/Kadri - but those guys were injured for 63 man-games this season. I wonder if many other journalists who vote for McDavid were similarly ignorant.
delayedreflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 08:13 PM   #166
jeffman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Could Draisaitl be the first player to win the hart without making it to the playoffs
jeffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 08:25 PM   #167
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffman View Post
Could Draisaitl be the first player to win the hart without making it to the playoffs
Lemieux did it.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 08:32 PM   #168
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Lemieux did it.
Scoring 70. TBF, the Pens had 81 points, more than 6 teams that did make the POs. Toronto had 52 and made it, LOL.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2020, 08:43 PM   #169
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Scoring 70. TBF, the Pens had 81 points, more than 6 teams that did make the POs. Toronto had 52 and made it, LOL.
What? That’s a real stat? That’s insane.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 08:48 PM   #170
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
What? That’s a real stat? That’s insane.
https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/...l19271988.html
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2020, 08:51 PM   #171
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Wow, 6 teams with less points than them made the playoffs... that’s not okay.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 09:01 PM   #172
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
TIL. That's crazy. Finished 12th out of a 21 team league where 16 make the playoffs (Rangers even crazier finishing 10th and not making playoffs).

Maple Leafs were 20th/21 and made the playoffs. Though the North Stars were hot on their heals with 51 pts!
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 03:22 PM   #173
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

That season the Pens had a coach named Pierre Creamer. Lols.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 03:24 PM   #174
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
That season the Pens had a coach named Pierre Creamer. Lols.
Likely had a successful second career after leaving hockey.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 04:54 PM   #175
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
TIL. That's crazy. Finished 12th out of a 21 team league where 16 make the playoffs (Rangers even crazier finishing 10th and not making playoffs).

Maple Leafs were 20th/21 and made the playoffs. Though the North Stars were hot on their heals with 51 pts!
Also the year Hextall scored a goal by shooting a puck into the net (a first). Also the only season in the since 79-80 that Gretzky didn't lead the league in points and the only year in the 80s that he didn't win the Hart (Mario should have won the next year as well tho).
Old 09-25-2020, 10:27 AM   #176
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Also the year Hextall scored a goal by shooting a puck into the net (a first). Also the only season in the since 79-80 that Gretzky didn't lead the league in points and the only year in the 80s that he didn't win the Hart (Mario should have won the next year as well tho).
the Flames team offence that year was supernova. 397 goals, which I believe is (or at least was) the most goals scored by a team without either Gretzky or Orr on it. but they had no one standout MVP type player (Loob likely the most notable, this was the Joe who rookie year)
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 01:32 PM   #177
BigErnSalute_16
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatle17 View Post
I don't know why anyone pays for The Athletic if this is the type of writer they have on staff. How do you leave Coutourier off the Selke ballot because of "defense", or if this is what your analytics tells you then something is wrong.

Hart Trophy should just change it's name to Art Ross #2. It has been given to the leading scorer forever so it isn't a surprise that Draisatl got the award. He is tough to play against in the offensive zone and probably earned it based on how the voting usually is done.
Couturier being left off the Selke was a little shocking to me but he went by definition of the award which is defensive play not two-way play like a lot of people vote for. Which is understandable, but I still think Couturier should have been in at least the 4 or 5 spot instead of completely not on it.

As for the other two there are very, very strong arguments as to why neither of them deserved to be anywhere near their respective awards and for him to leave them off makes me trust his judgment even more so. Especially seeing as how I went through the Hart ballot voting page and found everyone whose name I knew just to see if they voted Draisaitl so I know not to take their opinions very seriously in the future.
BigErnSalute_16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 02:41 PM   #178
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

This award should be replaced with the Ted Lindsay award and to be voted by the peers rather than by the frickin nobodies. If it's just an extension of the Rocket Richard trophie, this is redundant as well as being subjective - nothing to do with the sport itself. It really pisses me off that the one person who deserved to win it in 2004 was given to a white french guy.
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 08:01 AM   #179
Jaybo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Put me down for the group that dislikes how the Hart is so often just Art Ross Redux.

I found a comparison of Hart and Art Ross winners and it's very clear that, unless you are a defenseman or a goalie (which is rare to win the Hart anyhow since those positions have their own MVP trophies), you are pretty much guaranteed to be Top 5 in league scoring and likely #1 if you win the Hart.

The NHL needs to remind voters what the actual criteria says or change the criteria.

Last edited by Jaybo; 09-26-2020 at 08:46 AM.
Jaybo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jaybo For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2020, 11:59 AM   #180
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It kind of seems like the only major trophies that usually actually go to the right people are the Calder and Vezina.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote