Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-22-2020, 07:16 PM   #2741
Flames_Gimp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post
I missed that pic, looks like its broken clean off, probably had tension on it and during a cold spell shrunk and cracked. lots of couplings there so not much you can do without replacing a lot of pipe. The vent side being cracked will let sewer gas into the house, you might catch a whiff every once in a while when you run water through the drain.

Another thing you could do is cut the pipe just on the other side of the top coupling, and put a Fernco in there. This would make a good seal and leave flexibility for expansion/contraction.
That's the coupler i meant!
Old 05-22-2020, 07:18 PM   #2742
Flames_Gimp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
Any one replace a few pieces of siding before? Internet makes it seem like it should be easy.
I have that siding tool, I'm done with it.
if you want it you can have it!
Old 05-22-2020, 07:23 PM   #2743
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Anybody know a ballpark on new eavestroughs - (supplied and installed) on a classic 50s bungalow?

surferguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 07:29 PM   #2744
Flames_Gimp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferguy View Post
Anybody know a ballpark on new eavestroughs - (supplied and installed) on a classic 50s bungalow?
Paid about $1000 a few years ago, Don't remember who it was
Old 05-22-2020, 07:36 PM   #2745
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferguy View Post
I had my 700 sqft garage done for $600. Same roof as yours, I think. All 4 sides?
Found him here:
https://homestars.com/companies/2858...eriors-roofing

gord @ transcanadaexteriors.ca

Looks like he hasn't been active since then though...

Last edited by Fuzz; 05-22-2020 at 07:38 PM.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2020, 07:39 PM   #2746
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Not terrible prices then. It’s been funny asking neighbors who also have no idea claiming it could be 5-6k! I love having the conversations just to hear their guesses.

surferguy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to surferguy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2020, 09:28 PM   #2747
justkidding
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

We've used Gord as well for a few exterior jobs and so have a couple of our neighbours. Can highly recommend.
justkidding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 10:31 PM   #2748
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Had my eaves troughs and downspouts done a couple years ago for about $750. About 100’ of trough length. Gutter Doctor I think.

Did put the downspout on one section over the walkway and down the fence when he could have come down the other side like I requested and extend out to the lawn. Came back and redid it correctly the next day though.

I hoped for the worst, and was glad to be right.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 10:44 PM   #2749
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Just a safety reminder, my DIY friends. ALWAYS use eye protection when working with your power (and most hand) tools.

I’ve never had an issue cutting small pieces with my mitre saw, so I figured I could just cut some pieces for some returns. Well, my luck ran out, and a small piece apparently bound, pulled the saw blade into the metal fence,. Took a chunk of the fence, a blade tooth, tore up the inner blade guard, and threw shards of wood everywhere.

The nick of my face is a blessing, could have been much worse.

Suppose it’s tone for a zero-clearance insert, and an extra pair of glasses.
Old 05-23-2020, 12:42 AM   #2750
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Glad to hear you're alright MC, and yeah you do not screw around with safety glasses. Years ago I had a small burr from the metal I was drilling in come off the drill bit, bounced off my forehead and landed in my eye. The burr was really hot and burned like hell when it landed. I'm pretty lucky it was small and didnt do any permanent damage.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 05:31 PM   #2751
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post
These are quite thin and rigid, I use them for tons of stuff and it might be something you could use to split the flange away from the sink, carefully of course but you can tap it with a hammer and it wont bend.

Once you get the bottom off you should be able to work on the top.

i'm assuming you don't have a granite sink but one of those composite looks like stine sinks, so use caution, I don't know how fragile they are, as long as you are working a flat edge scraper into the seam you should be ok.
It's a granite sink so it'll be fun. Slow and steady I guess is key. That and probably expecting several hours of work rather than something quick.

Stainless steel sink would have been way easier.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 06:27 PM   #2752
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you can get a thin wire pushed through from above, you may be able to use it to kinda saw all the way around. You may need a helper above, and you go below.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 04:47 PM   #2753
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone have a recommendation for someone does chip out of tile? We need some old tile removed from a basement bathroom floor. It's under 10 years old, so no asbestos.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 02:48 PM   #2754
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a gate where the arm for the latch is loose. The gate is aluminum(I think?) and I’m not sure how to fix this. The screw hole is stripped/loose and I know I could put a larger screw there, but that’s just kicking the can down the road for a while because it will happen again. How else can I fix this? Could I have it welded to the gate? I don’t know how to weld, but it’s something I could investigate if that would work. Otherwise, I’m in search of ideas here.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 02:53 PM   #2755
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I have a gate where the arm for the latch is loose. The gate is aluminum(I think?) and I’m not sure how to fix this. The screw hole is stripped/loose and I know I could put a larger screw there, but that’s just kicking the can down the road for a while because it will happen again. How else can I fix this? Could I have it welded to the gate? I don’t know how to weld, but it’s something I could investigate if that would work. Otherwise, I’m in search of ideas here.
Something like this.
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/j-b...23533?rec=true
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2020, 02:54 PM   #2756
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

What has everyone used for building a base for a hot tub? The tub will be recessed in the deck (on the ground) so it doesnt have to be aesthetically pleasing. Right now I've got a leveled soil and a half inch of crushed gravel on top. Would you still do patio stones on the gravel or just put the tub on the gravel directly
Old 05-31-2020, 04:11 PM   #2757
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Awesome, thank you! It seems too good to be true; is it really that strong of a bond?
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 08:36 AM   #2758
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Aluminum welding is more involves than any of the rental machines can handle.

Is it maybe just galvanized steel, see if it’s magnetic or not. Or maybe try a ‘sex bolt’ if it’s into a hollow pipe or such.
Old 06-04-2020, 04:35 PM   #2759
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone have any ideas on alternatives to the below setup? That's for my outdoor awning, basically when drawn, I have 5m of cord to wrap, which is a pain in the butt. When retracted, the amount of cord in the picture is what is wrapped.

Gotta be some kind of system I haven't thought of to make the raise/lower easier and/or making storing the cord better....

Ducay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2020, 05:43 PM   #2760
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
Anyone have any ideas on alternatives to the below setup? That's for my outdoor awning, basically when drawn, I have 5m of cord to wrap, which is a pain in the butt. When retracted, the amount of cord in the picture is what is wrapped.

Gotta be some kind of system I haven't thought of to make the raise/lower easier and/or making storing the cord better....

How much room below those hooks do you have to the base of the 4x4? You could install hooks below to wrap the extra cord on. The other option would be similar to a patio umbrella, a reel and crank system.
The Following User Says Thank You to PaperBagger'14 For This Useful Post: