Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-09-2016, 10:27 AM   #21
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've heard good things about Simply Structured and their prices seem competitive but haven't used them personally
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 11:35 AM   #22
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm curious to know the functionality of the starters people have installed. Does the starter remote replace/override the buttons on the key, or do they all work together? For instance, does the "lock" button on the key, still work after the starter remote is installed? Or do I strictly use the new starter remote?

Going on an 09 Subaru if that makes a difference.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 11:37 AM   #23
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The factory stuff still all works. It uses it's own rf system that activates the door locks.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2016, 12:35 PM   #24
Stealth22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
I'm curious to know the functionality of the starters people have installed. Does the starter remote replace/override the buttons on the key, or do they all work together? For instance, does the "lock" button on the key, still work after the starter remote is installed? Or do I strictly use the new starter remote?

Going on an 09 Subaru if that makes a difference.
2011 Subaru here. All my factory buttons still work.

Before getting it, I had the same concern. But everything co-exists just fine. I just use the starter remote all the time now.

When I take the car for service, I put the starter in valet mode, and give them the spare key.
Stealth22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stealth22 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-09-2016, 01:20 PM   #25
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
The factory stuff still all works. It uses it's own rf system that activates the door locks.
Hrmm now that is interesting, because with my Mazda the factory unlock stopped working right around when the remote start cut out. At first it just took 3 or 4 tries to get the lock/unlock to work, then it stopped all together. Again, changed the battery on that one to no avail.

I checked the hood trigger seemed fine, in good shape and moved up and down easily. The wiring up to it seemed fine as well the housing was all intact. I checked the wiring by the mirror and it all seemed solid. The blue light on the hook up by the mirror is still flashing as it always has so it must be getting power. So it is somewhere between the pressing of the button and the receiving of the signal that is the problem.

I didn't get a chance to check the fuse yet as she had to be somewhere, but I will check that next.

Edit: and as Stealth said, both remotes worked fine together for years up until now.
Old 01-09-2016, 01:59 PM   #26
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hrmm, electrical problems are always a nightmare! Definitely go through your fuse box, especially since your factory one stopped working. The remote starter may have an inline one somewhere, hopefully accessible. If those are fine, it sounds like a job for the guys who installed it, hopefully they honour some type of warranty.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2016, 02:36 PM   #27
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

I recently had a car starter installed from Simply Structured. Works great so far. I think the warranty is one year on the remote and lifetime on the installation. The guy who did the install was very helpful in explaining how it worked. The only drawback is their location
Old 12-10-2016, 09:54 AM   #28
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm probably going to pull the trigger on a remote starter shortly. Lots of love here on CP for Tim @ Autotemp, and it looks like he's at the Douglasdale lcoation now.

Anyone with recent experience with that location or their Macleod location? Or Simply Structured?
Old 12-10-2016, 10:10 AM   #29
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

I got mine done at Simply Structured and it's great but doesn't have the range I need. With the really cold weather it would be nice to have longer range. It's a compustar two way. I might get the drone add on done soon. The installation process went very well. if I get the drone add on I'll go back to Simply Structured
Old 12-10-2016, 01:02 PM   #30
Kiran403
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Simply Structured is good. I know those guys personally and we use them at my work for a variety of car-related stuff. They always do a good job.

ARA Auto Accessories is also good. I got my car starter put in with them about 5 years ago and I haven't had any issues. The range is really great too as I can be almost 3 blocks away from my vehicle and have it start.
Kiran403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 01:44 PM   #31
OzSome
Franchise Player

Exp:

My last two vehicles I had my remote starter and alarm done by Quinn's close to Deerfoot Mall. I am very happy with them. They even helped me reprogram my alarm/remote starter on my minivan when I had an issue with it even after 4 years they installed with no charge. Definitely recommend them.

Last edited by OzSome; 12-10-2016 at 06:04 PM.
OzSome is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OzSome For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2016, 05:22 PM   #32
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Got Viper 7756V installed couple months ago at AutoTemp in Red Deer for $600. One of the best investments ever. Has a mile range but I havent had to try it, but it does start from my office where sometimes cell reception can cut out.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 07:05 PM   #33
Ahuch
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Chief View Post
Got Viper 7756V installed couple months ago at AutoTemp in Red Deer for $600. One of the best investments ever. Has a mile range but I havent had to try it, but it does start from my office where sometimes cell reception can cut out.
I had a similar system on my last car, and it was all great until one day I accidentally opened the trunk after walking 10 minutes from my car.
Ahuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 10:03 AM   #34
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Perhaps a dumb remote start question - is the "spare key" used for the immobilizer usually in common place when a remote start is installed?

Background is we bought a used Kia from a dealership that has remote start and it worked great. Unfortunately, it only came with one key and fob - let's call it key A. So as part of the sale, the dealership sent us to the Kia dealer to have another key made - let's call the new key B. Problem arose in that they keyed the programming on key A to match the new key B, instead of programming new key B to match existing key A. So now I have a key A somewhere in the car that the command start relies on to tell the immobilizer that it is ok to start the car, except now it has the wrong programming.

Would rather not pay an installer a bunch of money to find the key A so I can reprogram it if it is somewhere I can find myself.

Oh, and the Kia dealer told me to pound sand when I mentioned that they effed my remote start. Not their problem apparently.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 07:29 PM   #35
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

I had a remote starter installed on my 2010 Equinox the first winter I bought it in 2010. It worked for two years max. Has never worked since. Big disappointment for a disappointing vehicle.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 05:23 PM   #36
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just a shout out to Simply Structured who put a system into my car today and who were great to deal with. Based on the recommendation in this thread I went with them.

They have a promo on till the end of September that I went for: (taken from their Facebook page)

EXTENDED UNTIL THE END OF SEPTEMBER!!! SERIOUSLY, DON'T MISS OUT, THIS WILL BE THE LOWEST PRICE ON A 2 WAY SYSTEM FULLY INSTALLED. Yes it is still summer and I hate to say this but Winter is coming. Good news is we have some amazing Early Bird deals on Remote Starters from Compustar! From NOW until September 30th get a 2 way LED system with TWO 2 way remotes for $400 fully installed including bypass module and keyless integration!! No hidden charges!! Call 403-INSTALL to schedule an appointment today and beat the winter rush. Additional charges apply for European vehicles and Manual Transmission vehicles.

The only negative thing is that they are deep, deep SE and you're likely to have to wait while they work (but they have a lounge with wifi and Netflix)

Last edited by I-Hate-Hulse; 09-13-2017 at 05:26 PM.
Old 09-13-2017, 05:42 PM   #37
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

^I can vouch for this, I got mine done at Simply Structured and it's been great so far. I dont just use it in the winter, on days when it was sunny and 30+ I used it to crank the AC and walk into a (semi) cooled down car. I think they are far east on Glenmore, middle of nowhere, thats the only drawback
Old 09-22-2017, 05:40 PM   #38
phil98z24
Draft Pick

Thanks to the community for recommending these guys. Called them up, was in within 5 days, and they had a very difficult install done in 4 hours. Incredibly professional, great know how, and clearly are the go to guys judging by the amount of vehicles in their install bay. Take advantage of this deal, it’s a great system at a great price.
phil98z24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 05:41 PM   #39
phil98z24
Draft Pick

Weird double post!

Last edited by phil98z24; 09-22-2017 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Double post
phil98z24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 10:55 AM   #40
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

What was the starter model they installed?
MacDaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote