Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2014, 07:56 PM   #21
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole436 View Post
It doesn't matter if you have family who are native. That #### has no place in any part of our society and I don't stand for it. It is prejudicial and only creates a larger gap between Canadians. Consider what you say before saying it.
My comment had absolutely nothing to do with their race/skin tone and everything to do with their actions. It was meant to be a humerous comment. Calm down.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 07:59 PM   #22
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

So depressing, I hope the teen will be able to recover. She has a tough road ahead.

I hope Corey George Manyshots and Cody George Manyshots get the same treatment for their entire sentence. I can't imagine what goes through the head of these individuals.
To Be Quite Honest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 08:00 PM   #23
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Those guys look Lebanese.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 08:01 PM   #24
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole436 View Post
It doesn't matter if you have family who are native. That #### has no place in any part of our society and I don't stand for it. It is prejudicial and only creates a larger gap between Canadians. Consider what you say before saying it.
Im a little confused by your allegations. Huntingwhale made it clear that he made that claim based on the fact that (the older brother anyway) essentially looks like a thug. You wouldnt think anything of it if HW made the same statement of a white guy looking like a thug.

Now, it is possible that huntingwhale is not being honest and is making this claim based on race. He claimed he wasn't though so I don't see any reason for us not to accept that.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Flabbibulin For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2014, 08:14 PM   #25
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
Those guys look Lebanese.
I'm going with Mongolian. Coulda fooled me.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 08:20 PM   #26
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameswin View Post
Sorry wasn't clear. I meant that the amount of racism you see on here towards natives is representative of the amount of racism you see and hear towards natives in real life in Canada, as in substantially higher than any other race, and less contested.
Personally I hardly ever hear racism towards natives anymore, Where I grew up I played hockey/baseball against the micmacs and there was a little racism(mostly about booze) but nothing hatefull and was mostly laughed off.
T@T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 08:22 PM   #27
Temporary_User
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
It's as bad as murder.
It's bad, but it is not as bad as murder.

Temporary_User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 08:29 PM   #28
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temporary_User View Post
It's bad, but it is not as bad as murder.
If she didn't escape on her own will, who knows what those two losers' intentions were. The intention completely could have been to do worse.

To me, this kind of intentional crime is just as bad. Someone surviving trauma like this shouldn't mean a reduced sentence, and unfortunately in our judicial system, it does.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 10:08 PM   #29
Ben_in_Canada
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
The third man taken into custody — who police said Sunday may be the father of the two accused — was released without charges, though the investigation is ongoing.
This part bothered me, the brothers forcibly took the girl into their home and had her there overnight. How do you do that without alerting other people in that residence?
Good job raising your kids.....
Ben_in_Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 10:28 PM   #30
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

He might not have been home at the time?
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 11:02 PM   #31
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

Probably a good idea to keep this thread as close to facts as we can, and not veer off into speculation and personal opinion with regard to the suspects.
Old 11-18-2014, 12:17 AM   #32
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by T@T View Post
Personally I hardly ever hear racism towards natives anymore, Where I grew up I played hockey/baseball against the micmacs and there was a little racism(mostly about booze) but nothing hatefull and was mostly laughed off.
I can't really imagine being much more hateful than making jokes about alcoholism to a native.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 09:10 AM   #33
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by T@T View Post

While it isn't representative of our country as a whole, I do hear it.

In fact I hear it from kids on my daughter's PeeWee team (they had two Maskwacis teams in their league).

Don't kid yourself, it is out there, maybe not as broad as Flameswin's original post (yeah I know you clarified it), but it is out there.

I also think, but have no real supporting reason, natives out east and natives out west are viewed differently.

I have only one experience with a native from out east, he was a from Ontario. We were working out on the Morley reserve. He couldn't believe the condition of the reserve:
"These ####ing people are savages. You would never find a reserve back home in this #### state."

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 09:18 AM   #34
RedMileDJ
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Anyone know which street in Martindale the girl was taken to?

We moved out of Martindale back in the spring, and I would be interested to know how close this was to our old house.
RedMileDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 09:22 AM   #35
verda13
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMileDJ View Post
Anyone know which street in Martindale the girl was taken to?

We moved out of Martindale back in the spring, and I would be interested to know how close this was to our old house.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...stop-1.2837679
verda13 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to verda13 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2014, 09:24 AM   #36
RedMileDJ
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by verda13 View Post
Thank you.

Nowhere close, but very close to the french school (I think it is) and the Sikh temple, I believe.
Old 11-18-2014, 09:27 AM   #37
RedMileDJ
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'm just amazed that no one heard or saw anything. Specifically when they took her from Taradale to Martindale. They had to cross Falconridge Blvd (52nd street), and that road is always busy. How does no one see anything out of the ordinary.

I guess it's possible that some people did hear and see something, and aren't talking. Fear of reprisal? I don't know.
Old 11-18-2014, 09:46 AM   #38
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post

I also think, but have no real supporting reason, natives out east and natives out west are viewed differently.

I have only one experience with a native from out east, he was a from Ontario. We were working out on the Morley reserve. He couldn't believe the condition of the reserve:
"These ####ing people are savages. You would never find a reserve back home in this #### state."

I don't think it is a regional difference but rather a governance difference. First Nations groups differ so much from one another based on leadership, corruptness and willingness to change, grow and succeed. There are groups like the Osoyoos Band in BC which has become incredibly successful in recent years (I believe that they are the richest per capita First Nation.) We started visiting Osoyoos about 20 years ago and the progress that has been made by those folks is amazing.

The Stoney First Nation (Bearspaw, Chiniki and Wesley) unfortunately are on the very opposite end of the spectrum when it comes to leadership and building the Nation up for a successful future. They are also one of the wealthiest groups in Canada but the general population lives in squaller and extreme poverty. The younger generations have virtually no drive or determination to improve and there are huge barriers to success that the FN creates for it owns people. I've done work with the Stoney FN and met with a former Chief and council and their attitudes are quite deplorable. It is a shame that the Government can't really step in to make things better because the FN is self governing. The Government is basically throwing money down the crapper by funding groups like the Stoney.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 09:46 AM   #39
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMileDJ View Post
I'm just amazed that no one heard or saw anything. Specifically when they took her from Taradale to Martindale. They had to cross Falconridge Blvd (52nd street), and that road is always busy. How does no one see anything out of the ordinary.

I guess it's possible that some people did hear and see something, and aren't talking. Fear of reprisal? I don't know.
At midnight?
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 10:12 AM   #40
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
The Government is basically throwing money down the crapper by funding groups like the Stoney.
Why are we giving tribes money again? Honest question.

Last edited by Muta; 11-18-2014 at 10:16 AM.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote