Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-24-2013, 02:33 PM   #1
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default [Confirmed] Ben Walter joins Örebro of the SEL

...And there goes another one of the Heat's impact players.

Quote:
nhlfreeagents.com ‏@NHLFREEAGENTS 6h
Calgary Flames (F) Ben Walter signed by Örebro of the SEL (Sweden) #NHL #AHL #SEL
Big summer for Feaster coming up. He needs to restock the Heat with some big time AHL impact players who put up points. AHL vets who put up big points are the cornerstone of every single American league club in the league. Hope Feaster knows what he's doing.
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 02:42 PM   #2
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre "Monster" McGuire View Post
He needs to restock the Heat with some big time AHL impact players who put up points. AHL vets who put up big points are the cornerstone of every single American league club in the league.
I realize it's different for you because you live there but I'd really rather he not do that so that the young players who conceivably have a potential future in the NHL can get more ice-time, play more games, and have bigger roles.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 02:51 PM   #3
Johnny Rotten
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
I realize it's different for you because you live there but I'd really rather he not do that so that the young players who conceivably have a potential future in the NHL can get more ice-time, play more games, and have bigger roles.
Know what you're saying; I don't want the Flames prospects sitting too much, but I don't want them having their lunch handed to them every game also.
Old 05-24-2013, 03:00 PM   #4
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That'd be great, but unfortunately that only works in theory, not in practice.

We could go through each AHL season for the last 10 years and look at the bottom few teams and there's a good chance they didn't have any impactful AHL vets on the roster and had a lot of rookies.

I'd love the Heat to be comprised entirely of young prospects and still be successful (like the Grand Rapids Griffins, for example), but the Flames don't have any truly high-end prospects that will be on the roster next year. I suppose you could say Granlund would be the most skilled prospects joining the team next season, but that's not enough.

For a team like the Heat, I think Feaster needs to bring in a couple of Keith Aucoins, Darren Haydars and Martin St-Pierres as scoring cornerstones on the Heat. It's not always the best idea to throw rookies to the wolves in their first pro season.

But this is just one of those big AHL debates haha.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Pierre "Monster" McGuire For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2013, 03:07 PM   #5
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

time to bring back David van der Gulik
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 03:09 PM   #6
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Right and I respect your opinion on anything Heat related and always appreciate your updates, but is there a correlation between bottom feeding team and poor prospect development?
Old 05-24-2013, 03:24 PM   #7
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Right and I respect your opinion on anything Heat related and always appreciate your updates, but is there a correlation between bottom feeding team and poor prospect development?
Yeah, that's basically what I was getting at when I said it was different because he's from there... the Heat's success is probably far more important to him then it is to me. I want the Heat to win... but I want something else from them far more.

I mean the concept of "throwing someone to the wolves" is generally regarded as being a bad thing... but on the flip side if you do it you get to know who's a wolf-killer.

I just want the young guys to get many shots at being wolf-killers and I fear that if you stock the farm with AHL vets they won't get the kind of chances that they ought. I don't trust Ward to give them ice-time (and it's not like having Walter, Kolanos, Brust, Street, Taylor etc. got them into the playoffs last year).

Last edited by Parallex; 05-24-2013 at 03:33 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Parallex For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2013, 03:24 PM   #8
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

We should sign some former guys looking to re-claim their glory.

Pierre Dagenais, Oleg Tverdovsky, Rob Schremp, Niklas Sundstrom, Brendan Morrison (familiar with the organization) and Niklas Havelid.

Should be good for some leadership, too.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 03:40 PM   #9
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Pierre Dagenais, Oleg Tverdovsky, Rob Schremp, Niklas Sundstrom, Brendan Morrison (familiar with the organization) and Niklas Havelid.
good idea. I honestly believe he could score 60 goals and 130 points for us.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2013, 04:37 PM   #10
Stampede2TheCup
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

As a Heat fan I wouldn't be worried. It's all just a natural part of players coming and going in the minors. Taylor and Walter looked like they probably weren't NHL material and they went to make money elsewhere. Feaster has gone out and gotten AHL vets in his tenure here and I'm sure he will again even if he leaves more room for prospects this year. There's room for both prospects and AHL vets, it's all about finding the right balance for your organization. Even if they're not the cream of the crop some decent help for the Heat can still be found around training camp and during the season, so that allows a bit of flexibility to add even more veterans later on if needed.
Stampede2TheCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 04:53 PM   #11
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Street and Reinhart might split top two centre next year
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 05:10 PM   #12
t0rrent98
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
We should sign some former guys looking to re-claim their glory.

Should be good for some leadership, too.
For some reason, I kinda want Ryan Stone back in the Organization, not because I know him in person but because I think he deserves another chance.

CPHL Dallas Stars
t0rrent98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 05:14 PM   #13
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

We have 8 (ish) of our own forward "prospects" ready for duty with the Heat next season, and a bunch of young RFA's....

Signed -> Reinhart, Hanowski, Granlund, Street, Howse, Ferland, Eddy and Elson
RFA's -> Byron, Aliu, Bancks, Nemisz

Plus there are those "AHL deal" type guys like Olson, Reugsegger and Sylvester

Then, on top of that it sounds like the Heat might be home to some nucklehead dooshbags next year as well.

Should be plenty of bodies for the forward group in Abbotsford next year, but yeah, it will be interesting to see if Feaster brings in any journeyman AHL all-star type guys to bring the high octane offensive numbers.

Do the Heat plan on bringing back Laing, or is it time to move on from the long time veteran?
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 05:20 PM   #14
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, that's basically what I was getting at when I said it was different because he's from there... the Heat's success is probably far more important to him then it is to me. I want the Heat to win... but I want something else from them far more.

I mean the concept of "throwing someone to the wolves" is generally regarded as being a bad thing... but on the flip side if you do it you get to know who's a wolf-killer.

I just want the young guys to get many shots at being wolf-killers and I fear that if you stock the farm with AHL vets they won't get the kind of chances that they ought. I don't trust Ward to give them ice-time (and it's not like having Walter, Kolanos, Brust, Street, Taylor etc. got them into the playoffs last year).
I love it when the Heat win. It's great for the city and the loyal fans, but nothing gave me more satisfaction these past two seasons than watching all the Heat players come and do okay down the stretch.

I'm not in the sales department and I don't care about my tax money going to a team that I take full advantage of watching. Winning isn't everything for me. Like you, the Flames winning the Cup is the ultimate goal and prospect development is first and foremost.

Again, this is just a classic AHL debate and I think both sides of the argument have good points. It's just so tough to estimate what works the best, but right now I'm leaning towards getting impactful AHL players to help what is expected to be a much much younger Heat team this season.

P.S. I hope Kolanos is next to leave. The guy is insufferable to watch.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pierre "Monster" McGuire For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2013, 05:28 PM   #15
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Perhaps some European vets want to come back and join the team? I'd venture to say a good handful of them want to come back to North America and get the odd call-up for a last shot at the NHL.

Let's continue the Swiss invasion. Someone get Reto Von Arx on the phone!
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 08:29 PM   #16
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0rrent98 View Post
For some reason, I kinda want Ryan Stone back in the Organization, not because I know him in person but because I think he deserves another chance.
He hung up his skates, didn't he?

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:14 PM   #17
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Perhaps some European vets want to come back and join the team? I'd venture to say a good handful of them want to come back to North America and get the odd call-up for a last shot at the NHL.
Those are actually the type of non-prospects that I wouldn't mind Feaster going out and getting for the Heat if he feels compelled to get some tenured pro's. Go out and get a few relatively young guys like Broc Little, Martin Ruzicka, and Bud Holloway who play really well across the pond. Better then burning a Reserve list slot on a guy who good as he may be in the AHL you pretty well know isn't going to be able to contribute much in the NHL.
Old 05-25-2013, 01:52 AM   #18
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeway View Post
He hung up his skates, didn't he?
According to HockeyDB in 2011-12 he played 25 games for TPS Turku in Finland and then 21 games for Hamburg in Germany. There is nothing showing him playing at all in 2012-13, whether that is due to retirement or injury or both I have no idea.
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 02:04 AM   #19
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Last I heard (via LinkedIn), he had retired and was looking to get into oil and gas.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Freeway For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2013, 09:47 AM   #20
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

I remember him playing in Hamburg, he had a very good start but eventually faded pretty quickly and Hamburg wasn't prepared to offer him another deal. He then suffered a shoulder injury late in the season that would sideline him 3-4 months ... haven't heard about him since then. Probably retired due to the injury and/or a lack of good offers.

Tags
ahl , ben walter , heat , sel