Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-30-2013, 05:46 PM   #41
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
I think that if the Flames were to take Fucale anywhere it'll be with the Pens pick... but that's just because it's the Jarome Iginla pick and they can sell the fans on getting "Future #1 Goalie" for the face of the franchise since he's the highest rated goalie in this draft class.

Personally, I'd rather they not take a goalie before round 4 since they're such a crapshoot + Fucale is smallish for a goalie at 6'1... I want big 'tenders going forward.
I agree with this again. But I would be okay with using a 3rd on a goaltender in most years, but I really think we shouldn't draft a goaltender this year. We have drafted a couple solid goaltender prospects over the past 2 years, I think doing the same a 3rd year in a row. I would prefer to wait until 2014. Now if Fucale or Comrie somehow ended up available in round 4 I would have no problem with it.

But I do think the focus in this years draft should be bentermen, physical wingers and defensemen, all with size for the most part. I really think this year is a good opportunity to add a couple future power forward types.
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:52 AM   #42
FlameZilla
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_Beef View Post
I agree with this again. But I would be okay with using a 3rd on a goaltender in most years, but I really think we shouldn't draft a goaltender this year. We have drafted a couple solid goaltender prospects over the past 2 years, I think doing the same a 3rd year in a row. I would prefer to wait until 2014. Now if Fucale or Comrie somehow ended up available in round 4 I would have no problem with it.

But I do think the focus in this years draft should be bentermen, physical wingers and defensemen, all with size for the most part. I really think this year is a good opportunity to add a couple future power forward types.
The thing I like about Fucale is that he thrives in a wide-open, offense-first system in Halifax. He doesn't get a lot of defensive support (which is why his numbers are pretty average) but his athleticism & abilities mean he makes the game-winning saves when it's all on the line. I've heard him compared to Grant Fuhr in his prime, which might suit the Flames going forward with this Bob-Hartley-high-pressing offensive system & non-physical D.

Risky pick, and I wouldn't take him if JT Compher was still on the board...
FlameZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 05:06 AM   #43
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm pretty sure that the Flames will draft a goalie again this year, simply because they indicated after the Gillies pick that "you can never have enough goalies in your stable" ... that's what Tod Button said. And I'm fine with it, goalies are so difficult to project that one goalie pick per year makes sense - the more goalies you have, the bigger the possibility that one of them turns into something special.

I just hope that it's not a first round pick. After Krahn and Irving, I hope they have learnt their lesson. They have found a solid goalie prospect in Brossoit in the 6th round and Gillies looks very good early on, being a 3rd round pick. Why not continue this trend and use the goalie pick somewhere between the 3rd and 6th again? It won't get you Fucale or Comrie, but one or more of Tristan Jarry, Jackson Whistle, Spencer Martin and the two Waterloo goalies (Petersen and McAdam) should still be there in the 3rd/4th round.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:05 AM   #44
Husky
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
I'm pretty sure that the Flames will draft a goalie again this year, simply because they indicated after the Gillies pick that "you can never have enough goalies in your stable" ... that's what Tod Button said. And I'm fine with it, goalies are so difficult to project that one goalie pick per year makes sense - the more goalies you have, the bigger the possibility that one of them turns into something special.

I just hope that it's not a first round pick. After Krahn and Irving, I hope they have learnt their lesson. They have found a solid goalie prospect in Brossoit in the 6th round and Gillies looks very good early on, being a 3rd round pick. Why not continue this trend and use the goalie pick somewhere between the 3rd and 6th again? It won't get you Fucale or Comrie, but one or more of Tristan Jarry, Jackson Whistle, Spencer Martin and the two Waterloo goalies (Petersen and McAdam) should still be there in the 3rd/4th round.

I agree. Worst case is if you have too many goalies there seems to be a market for young solid goalies. Bishop and Lindback are latest examples of that.
Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:57 AM   #45
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Latest THW mock just up complete with a game within the game:

Some of the intriguing storylines out of this mock:

- Flames a potential franchise centreman, a dynamic puck-moving d-man and a speedy sniping winger
- Leafs think they've landed a potential franchise player - many will beg to differ
- Habs hope they've landed a Ryan McDonagh clone
- Oilers with a mammoth blueliner with intriguing upside
- Avs: franchise blueliner or gamebreaking forward?
- Lightning: land a guy who could help Stamkos eclipse 70 goals
- Stars: land an Albertan kid who cheered for them growing up and idolized Mike Modano
- Devils with a "steal" at 9th
- Coyotes benefit from Russian factor
- Flyers think they've put Pronger and Timonen in a human blender with their selection...

Test yourself - how many of these prospects can you guess before clicking to confirm?

Link: 2013 NHL Mock Draft: The Next Ones Memorial Cup Edition
Old 05-19-2013, 12:57 PM   #46
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

That mock draft has the Flames selecting 25th with the Blues pick, which isn't possible. 22nd at the latest.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 01:04 PM   #47
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

yup. Also, I don't think they'd pass on Compher if he's still there at 29.

I still hope for a Lindholm - Wennberg - McCoshen draft ... but with my luck, they go Nichushkin (who then doesn't come over) - Fucale and trade one 1st for a near "post-apex" player ...
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2013, 10:48 PM   #48
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't like their choice of Morrissey as a defenceman. He may be good but he's the smallest defenceman likely to be taken in the first round. I'd like to take a defenceman with one of our 1st round picks but he's got to have some size as we have a decent defence but they're undersized. I know we have Breen in the wings but another would be a good idea. Maybe Morin at 6'5" or Heatherington or Santini or McCoshen or Hagg would be better for us.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vulcan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2013, 11:25 PM   #49
Iceman57
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
I don't like their choice of Morrissey as a defenceman. He may be good but he's the smallest defenceman likely to be taken in the first round. I'd like to take a defenceman with one of our 1st round picks but he's got to have some size as we have a decent defence but they're undersized. I know we have Breen in the wings but another would be a good idea. Maybe Morin at 6'5" or Heatherington or Santini or McCoshen or Hagg would be better for us.

^^^^
nice sig
Iceman57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:30 PM   #50
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman57 View Post
^^^^
nice sig
Yeah, I stole it from someone. Anyways I know one of the combatants so I thought I'd use it for a while.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vulcan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2013, 11:46 AM   #51
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
I'd still prefer Morrissey over either of the aforementioned lads.

Height wise, yes he's on the smaller size. His stature, however bodes well for future success.

Flames fans should be extremely excited should he picked by his hometown team.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:56 AM   #52
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

hard to envision Lindholm being there at #9

Carolina GM pretty much stated they are taking a forward
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:48 PM   #53
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
That mock draft has the Flames selecting 25th with the Blues pick, which isn't possible. 22nd at the latest.
You are right, RD - the article was a work in progress and I simply had to go with the list that I started out with.

For a fairly up to date listing of the picks constantly updated, you can check out:
http://www.prosportstransactions.com...Years/2013.htm
Old 05-21-2013, 10:03 PM   #54
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope Lindholm doesn't get past us at 6
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 01:56 PM   #55
Yanda
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I hope the flames draft at least 2 forwards in the 1st round. If we take 1 Forward, 2 Defensemen, and then the BPA in the 3rd round is a Dmen then our prospect depth is just as ####ty.
Yanda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yanda For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2013, 03:10 PM   #56
FlameZilla
First Line Centre

Exp:

6. Sean Monahan, C Ottawa
25. Josh Morrissey, D Prince Albert
29. Andre Burakowsky, LW Malmo

I like.
FlameZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlameZilla For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2013, 10:46 PM   #57
MyFlamesFirst
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
How is it all determined? The team with the worst record losing out of the first round gets the 15th pick after all the non-playoff teams?
MyFlamesFirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:26 AM   #58
Arsenal14
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyFlamesFirst View Post
How is it all determined? The team with the worst record losing out of the first round gets the 15th pick after all the non-playoff teams?
It's answered all over the place here, but the short version:
1: Lottery Winner
2-14: Non playoff teams
15-26: Teams eliminated in first two rounds (non-division winners first, then division winners)
27-28: Teams eliminated in third round
29: Loser of final
30: Champions
Arsenal14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
draft , mock draft , prospects