Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-30-2017, 02:54 AM   #1701
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Got my appointment set up for the Wednesday after thanksgiving, going with the Michelin xice2.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2017, 06:14 AM   #1702
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The biggest problem with all weathers is they use a compromise tire compound. I think I read anything below -15 or so and they harden up a lot more than winters and that is when you start to notice the loss of grip compared to a full winter.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2017, 09:51 AM   #1703
GreatWhiteEbola
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
Got my appointment set up for the Wednesday after thanksgiving, going with the Michelin xice2.
I use those on my AWD Terrain... I've used all brands of winter tires and the Michelins have been on par or better than most.

GreatWhiteEbola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 09:56 AM   #1704
jeffporfirio
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
How much are straight swaps at Country Tire (my winter tires are on their own rims, so just screws off, screws on)?
Don't know about straight swaps, regular swaps are $50 if you buy tires from them for the life of the tires.
I compared prices between them and Costco and Country Tire was cheaper. Plus if you work dt, its really convenient; drop the car off in the morning and pick it up at lunch or end of the day.
jeffporfirio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 09:21 PM   #1705
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've got a buddy who just got his first car, and he's looking for some winter tires for it. He's looking to spend around $1000 for all four tires, whether that's just for the rubber, or could get rubber and rims for that amount.

Any thoughts on tires in that price range?
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 09:38 PM   #1706
t0rrent98
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
I've got a buddy who just got his first car, and he's looking for some winter tires for it. He's looking to spend around $1000 for all four tires, whether that's just for the rubber, or could get rubber and rims for that amount.

What kind of car does he have? I have a set of winters that I don't need anymore, used for a season and a half with lots of tread left. Only problem is one of the rims is pretty bent. Would probably sell it for at least 400.

Oh yeah, they are Michelin ice x. 205/45/16 5x100 and it was on a 2010 Subaru impreza 2.5i.

CPHL Dallas Stars
t0rrent98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 09:38 PM   #1707
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Need to know what they drive.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 09:44 PM   #1708
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Do you know what size tires he'll need as prices even for the same tire model will vary greatly based on diameter, profile and width.
accord1999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 10:09 PM   #1709
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sorry folks, major brain fart there.

He's got a 2015 Hyundai Elantra 2.0i LE (4dr sedan), with 17" tires. He doesn't need anything fancy though, and would be looking for basically stock level tires and the steel winter rims.

Sadly, that's all I can remember right now, and the car's still at the dealership so he can't check for 100% sure.

Putting the cart before the horse here, guys. My apologies.

Edit: Found it - 215/45R17

Last edited by WhiteTiger; 10-02-2017 at 10:12 PM.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 11:00 PM   #1710
ZedMan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

If he's going to get winter rims as well, looks like he can go down a rim size or 2: https://www.tirerack.com/snow/Select...odClar=Limited

This has a couple benefits: first tires for smaller rim sizes are cheaper, and second you're less likely to pinch flat a tire or damage a rim when you hit a winter pot hole.

Should have no trouble finding a wheel/tire package for less than $1000.
ZedMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 01:17 AM   #1711
Perogy Man
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Any Michelin deals out there?
Im looking for some Michelin Defender LTX/MS for my Ridgeline?
Perogy Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 03:59 PM   #1712
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hes View Post
Anyone had any experience with All-Weather tires? There are a few brands that have the winter rating in Canada.

I understand they wear a bit quicker during the Summer, but it is nice to not have to swap them twice a year.
I used them on my old car, and they were fine, but certainly not as good as winters, especially in sub -20. Now that I have a garage to store my tires in, I bought dedicated winter tires last year and realize the improvement vs my all-weather.

If you have storage issues, don't have the ability to swap them out yourself and don't want to mess around with setting up appointments, it is a pretty reasonable choice. Far better than All-Season from a safety perspective. I got some cheaper ones and I think they lasted almost 3 years.
Old 10-03-2017, 04:06 PM   #1713
stazzy33
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Sent you a PM.
stazzy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 04:38 PM   #1714
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hey I'm sure this has been asked somewhere in this 80 page thread but, is Cosctco a good place for tires and rims? I want middle of the road, nothing expensive but not cheap crap either. I saw some decent Blizzaks for 220 a tire... Ill be buying 18" wheels/rims for a honda odyssey

in case it helps my budget for tires and rims is going to be around 350 per tire total all (rims and tires) in +tax
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 05:00 PM   #1715
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I didn't like the costco selection for rims when I bought last year so I went with Kaltire. IIRC prices were comparable. I think Costco might have been cheaper on the installation but they were harder to book because that place is a 24/7 zoo. Pretty sure I bought the xice 3.

Based on CP advice I didn't buy the ugly black steel winter wheels and went with a proper nice wheel (albeit not fancy).

As others have suggested, I also went down a wheel size. More sidewall is better for winter driving and everything was cheaper.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2017, 05:12 PM   #1716
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Apparently I have to get 18's for the Honda, can't go 17
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 09:44 PM   #1717
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any thoughts on cloning TPMS sensors so that you don't have to reprogram the car to recognize them? Toyotas are limited to a 4 sensor memory - I do my own changeovers so this is a problem.

The Kal Tire guy recommended against this but then again he screwed up in every other conceivable way on the sale...
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 09:59 PM   #1718
BigNumbers
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
Any thoughts on cloning TPMS sensors so that you don't have to reprogram the car to recognize them? Toyotas are limited to a 4 sensor memory - I do my own changeovers so this is a problem.

The Kal Tire guy recommended against this but then again he screwed up in every other conceivable way on the sale...
I do this on my vehicles that have TPMS sensors, works great! I have a set of winters on rims with cloneable TPMS installed that work great on hondas and Toyotas in the buy and sell thread if you're interested...
BigNumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 11:30 PM   #1719
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'd recommend checking out PMC tire out of Quebec. They're basically Tire Rack for Canadians. Really good prices, cheap shipping, and I've had good customer service with them. I've bought a set of tires mounted on rims, a set of tires, and a set of rims, all in the last year or so.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 11:15 AM   #1720
flamefan74
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Has anyone had any experience with Toyo Enscribe CSI-1? Not much info on Google. Dealer here has a deal on them right now, but not sure if they are any good. Only thing cheaper of a brand name is the Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice and not sure I want those. Have used the Toyo Observe GSI-5 before, so wonderig if these are comparable.

Thanks
flamefan74 is offline   Reply With Quote