Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-08-2013, 04:49 PM   #21
WilderPegasus
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
Hockey Prospectus is affiliated or part of the Baseball Prospectus family of sites. Baseball Prospectus has had multiple guys hired into baseball front offices. Its not some kind of Bleacher Report or home-made site.
Except advanced stats make sense in baseball when it comes to evaluating players. In hockey it's pure foolishness.
WilderPegasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 05:40 PM   #22
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurdFerguson View Post
Jeeze, are you always so arrogant? "Why does his opinon matter"...says the message board poster. ha
Arrogant? For asking a question about who the guy is and why his opinion matters? For a site that is so hard on guys ranging from Pierre Maguire to thefanblogger I sure find it head scratching to take flack for questioning the validity of a guy's cred? I mean, Maguire was a GM and is actually connected in the hockey world and people discredit or crap on him all the time. But some guy who has no bona fides is a quality source of information, even though much of what he says is a regurgitation of information from sources like McKenzie, THN or ISS? And it's arrogant to question that? I guess I've been told. Pronman is a trustworthy source and should not be questioned. Thank you all for the enlightening information.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 05:50 PM   #23
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

This touches on a bigger subject, those of us who think we're smarter than the stats.

Many hockey fans and even those semi-pro who work in the game are usually dismissive of "stats" and instead prefer "their own eyes."

There's basically a whole mountain of research that shows that basic statistical analysis if logically supported and consistent with actual outcomes is 10 times out of 10 the better predictor than human "experts."

I'm not saying this guy is smarter than anyone else, but if you can develop a simple algorithm that is able to use causal variables to predict performance, it will perform better than scouts, or your own eyeballs basically all of the time.

I don't see that kind of deference on this board. People point to how NHL-E is a crap stat (maybe it is) or they just are instantly dismissive of any type of broadly used statistical tool to evaluate players. Mostly because they just don't understand statistics, but usually because they're biased in that their own eyeballs are better, when frankly they're much worse.
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tinordi For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2013, 06:20 PM   #24
WilderPegasus
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post
There's basically a whole mountain of research that shows that basic statistical analysis if logically supported and consistent with actual outcomes is 10 times out of 10 the better predictor than human "experts."
And where might this alleged research be? Because I have yet to see anything that proves that the "advanced" stats are anything other than something nerds use to try to be the next Bill James or the weapons losers use to be keyboard warriors on the internet.
WilderPegasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 06:58 PM   #25
GettinIggyWithIt
Scoring Winger

Exp:

[QUOTE=kehatch;4322849]I don't agree with him entirely. I agree with the overall placement. But the Flames do have a fair bit of depth IMO.

C: Horak, Monahan, Jankowski, Knight, Reinhart, Granlund, Bouma, Arnold, Byron, DeBlouw
W: Baertschi, Gaudreau, Klmichuk, Poirier, Agostino, Ferland, Hanowski, Gordon, Harrison
D: Billins, Sieloff, Wotherspoon, Cundari, Breen, Roy, Kilak, Culkin, Ramage, Kanzig, Rafikov, Gilmour
G: Brossoit, Gilles, Ortio

There are a lot of B and C level prospects on the list. What the Flames lack are A level prospects on D and in net. They are also lacking proven NHL ready talent as the bulk of our best prospects have yet to play a game of pro.[/QUOTE]

In your opinion- how would you differentiate between an A, B, C and D level prospect? Are you basing that on potential of making the NHL, ceiling, NHL readiness, etc.? I am not agreeing or disagreeing with you but classifying prospects that way can be arbitrary depending on what criteria is used so I'd be interested to know how you differentiate.

I have to question the statement in bold though. I think proven NHL ready talent is a bit of an oxymoron - as they wouldn't really be a prospect, if they were a proven NHL ready talent. The lack of NHL experience and potential is part of what makes a player a prospect vs. a good young NHL player.
GettinIggyWithIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 09:27 PM   #26
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

All Pronman can do is provide his perspective and analysis. That's all anyone can do, really. Credibility comes from admitting mistakes and adjusting for it in the future.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Freeway For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2013, 10:30 PM   #27
Red Menace
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Arrogant? For asking a question about who the guy is and why his opinion matters? For a site that is so hard on guys ranging from Pierre Maguire to thefanblogger I sure find it head scratching to take flack for questioning the validity of a guy's cred? I mean, Maguire was a GM and is actually connected in the hockey world and people discredit or crap on him all the time. But some guy who has no bona fides is a quality source of information, even though much of what he says is a regurgitation of information from sources like McKenzie, THN or ISS? And it's arrogant to question that? I guess I've been told. Pronman is a trustworthy source and should not be questioned. Thank you all for the enlightening information.
Bob McKenzie himself tweeted thanks to Pronman for all his ongoing info about prospects. I'm paraphrasing, but he said something along the lines that Pronman had really helped increase his knowledge on prospects.
Pronman has his faults like anyone else, but he is well regarded by the "experts"
Red Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 10:38 PM   #28
Red Menace
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Here's the exact tweet by McKenzie:

https://twitter.com/tsnbobmckenzie/s...78516684906496
Red Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Red Menace For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2013, 09:59 AM   #29
Keselke
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Who is Corey Pronman and why does his opinion matter?
We care about him when he has positive things to say about the flames

Discredit him when he has something negative to say about the flames, or good things about the Oilers/Canucks or Leafs. Basic template

I am so fulfilled with many things in my life that it would be pathetic to seek schadenfreude over something as silly as a sports game.
Keselke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:23 AM   #30
Phaneufenstein
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keselke View Post
We care about him when he has positive things to say about the flames

Discredit him when he has something negative to say about the flames, or good things about the Oilers/Canucks or Leafs. Basic template
Nice bump

Clown post man
Phaneufenstein is offline   Reply With Quote