Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2023, 05:03 PM   #1
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Let’s discuss Waterton Lakes National Park

I found some threads that were old so I thought I’d start a new one.

We’d like to visit Waterton in September and I’m seeking advice. My questions on Iceland (we just returned, thank you) went well I’m trying again.

Based on a thread I read we’ll look at Crandall Mountain Lodge or we may stay in Cardston (which we like) or Pincher Creek for the savings and do day trips. Cameron Lake, *Red Rock Canyon*, Crypt Lake and Carthew (not the full one) are the hikes I’m looking at. We’re older but can handle medium-length and -difficulty trails; I can go farther.

Advice please on accommodations, trails and restaurants.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2023, 05:08 PM   #2
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Crypt is a must do. By far my favorite hike. Absolutely love Waterton!

edit:

If you are a fly fisherman, dont forget to pack a fly rod for that hike and have some fun reeling in some nice Cutthroat trout when you get to the lake.

I dont have a lot of advice on the hotels in the townsite as we stay with family at a cabin when we go there. Pincher/Cardston are pretty similar distances away if you choose to stay outside the park. I would think the value of staying within the townsite probably justifies the extra cost though.

Last edited by greyshep; 06-21-2023 at 05:11 PM.
greyshep is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to greyshep For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2023, 05:08 PM   #3
Ahuch
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Depends when you're going, but Waterton just got hit by a bunch of flooding and rockslides. Still some closures from the fires years ago as well.

https://parks.canada.ca/pn-np/ab/wat...3-56994CF60B72
Ahuch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ahuch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2023, 06:36 PM   #4
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahuch View Post
Depends when you're going, but Waterton just got hit by a bunch of flooding and rockslides. Still some closures from the fires years ago as well.

https://parks.canada.ca/pn-np/ab/wat...3-56994CF60B72
September
Old 06-21-2023, 07:07 PM   #5
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Go to Cameron lake and paddle to the US border, it's a fun time.

As for hiking/walking I can vouch for these as worthwhile excursions

Easy:
-Cameron falls (you just walk up to it)
-The bear's hump (Waterton view from up high)
-Red rock canyon (Not sure about flooding damage but walk up the canyon if you can)
-Blakiston falls (easy 2km walk)
-Lakeshore trail and Bertha falls (easy half day with views)

Moderate/full day with high reward:
-Crypt lake
-Alderson-carthew lakes
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2023, 07:30 PM   #6
Redliner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cardston sucks. Definitely stay in the park if you can swing it. Crandell Mountain Lodge is decent - I stayed there years ago and it was like a time warp to 1955, but I hear it’s been updated. The Bayshore is not too bad, and the Waterton Glacier Suites are pretty good. If you want the full Waterton experience, stay at the Prince of Wales. The rooms are small and it’s overpriced but definitely a unique experience.

Pizza of Waterton and Weiners of Waterton are both decent places to eat without breaking the bank. The New Frank Restaurant is alright and so is the Bayshore dining room - and the Bayshore was in Last of Us (it was where the cannibals lived) so there’s that to think about while you’re scarfing down your top sirloin.

The damage to the Akamina Parkway (Cameron Lake road) was apparently pretty extensive and I’ve heard rumours it may not open before the end of the year, so check before you go. For hikes I’d echo what everyone else said - Crypt Lake is a must do. I believe it was on the list of top ten hikes in North America for a while. Bertha Falls & Lake are great as well and the area around the lake should be beautiful in September as there is a ton of colour in the rocks up there. Red Rock Canyon is great as well but not much of a hike unless you actually want to hike up the creek itself, which can be a bit of an adventure.

I’ve been going to Waterton my whole life (even lived there for a few years) and it’s a very special place. Unfortunately the park got hit hard by the Kenow Mountain fire in 2017 and much of it is burned out now, but it’s still amazing - just different. In September it’ll be a little quieter but often that’s a good thing.
"There will be a short outage tonight sometime between 11:00PM and 1:00AM as network upgrades are performed. Please do not panic and overthrow society. Thank you."

Last edited by Redliner; 06-21-2023 at 07:32 PM.
Redliner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Redliner For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2023, 07:32 PM   #7
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

The food at Lakeside Chophouse is good.

Service is spotty though, so go when it's quiet.
The Following User Says Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2023, 07:47 PM   #8
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

From Wateron Lakes FB page, just a little info from them due to recent events:

Quote:
June 16 update: Bear’s Hump trail has reopened, but it will be a different experience than before. The difficulty of the trail has increased due to the presence of uneven terrain, rocks, and other debris. Wear proper hiking footwear; save your flip-flops for the beach.

Akamina Parkway remains closed to vehicle access and an Area Closure is in place from Waterton townsite to Crandell Lake trail (see map), but area and trails past this have reopened. Users who choose to access this area should treat it as a backcountry wilderness area with limited services.

The section of Akamina Parkway affected by rockslides is anticipated to be closed for an extended period. For your own safety, please respect the closure area.

Info: https://parks.canada.ca/pn-np/ab/wat...3-56994cf60b72
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Minnie For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2023, 09:54 PM   #9
Faust
Scoring Winger

Exp:

If you have enough time and you are not opposed to swinging into the U.S. - the Going-to-the-Sun highway is worth a drive for the spectacular views.
Faust is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Faust For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2023, 10:47 PM   #10
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faust View Post
If you have enough time and you are not opposed to swinging into the U.S. - the Going-to-the-Sun highway is worth a drive for the spectacular views.
Highly recommend
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 10:56 PM   #11
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Indeed, did that years ago on a Gold Wing. My wife would appreciate doing it again in more comfort.
Old 06-22-2023, 07:57 AM   #12
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Crypt Lake is a fantastic hike. It's pretty long though, and I'd say it's more than moderate? I guess rating the difficulty is somewhat up for debate though. I just think Crypt Lake is beautiful and it's a fun adventure, but it's also fairly steep at points and it's a fairly long day.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 08:02 AM   #13
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's a fairly steady but not steep grade for 9/10ths of it. But it is fairly long for a typical day hike. There is one section that can be challenging, if you have any concern I'd look at a lot of pictures of that bit. That being said, my wife was super nervous and while this was the most challenging she had ever done, got through it.

Definitely take the first boat of the day across so you don't ever have to feel rushed.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 08:32 AM   #14
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Other then the big Alderson/ Carthew and Crypt Lake hikes, there are a number of others worth it. Bertha Lake is nice as is Wall Lake. You can also turn Wall Lake into a longer hike and check out Forum Falls and Forum Lake. The hike to Goat Haunt is fairly easy and purchase the return ticket before you leave and ride the boat back down Waterton Lake.

As mentioned earlier, Cardston kinda sucks. If the budget allows staying in Waterton would be much nicer, and the restaurants and hotels are trying to step up their game on the food side. It is worth planning a meal at the Twin Butte General Store, the best Mexican Food you will find in Southern Alberta, also handy if you end up staying in Pincher Creek.
Old 06-22-2023, 08:50 AM   #15
jatylo
Draft Pick

Maybe we will bump into eachother. I am planning on going in September too, after I had to cancel going the first weekend in June.
If you want bare bones, cheap place to sleep Bear mountain motel wasn't too bad and only $125 a night during off season.

I'm hoping to do bears hump this time. How sketchy is the ladder section that everyone mentions about crypt? Tempted to do it but hopefully I can find a group to go with
jatylo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jatylo For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2023, 11:26 AM   #16
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatylo View Post
Maybe we will bump into eachother. I am planning on going in September too, after I had to cancel going the first weekend in June.
If you want bare bones, cheap place to sleep Bear mountain motel wasn't too bad and only $125 a night during off season.

I'm hoping to do bears hump this time. How sketchy is the ladder section that everyone mentions about crypt? Tempted to do it but hopefully I can find a group to go with
The ladder isn't sketchy at all. I'd say the section where they have the cable attached for you is more concerning, but it's fine also. That said, watching my laissez faire, uncoordinated son handle that was somewhat scary!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 11:29 AM   #17
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is there a windier place on earth?
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2023, 11:46 AM   #18
brocoli
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I will say for places to eat, go outside the park and go to Twin Butte for Mexican. If you decide to stay in Pincher it's on the way. Otherwise, Crandall is a nice place to stay. They just rebuil the Kilmory Lodge and it looks as though they did a great job there too.

Everyone has listed the hikes quite well and there are tips/tricks all over the internet for Crypt. September is a great time to go as it's no AS busy on the weekends. Weekdays are quiet for the most part.

Feel free to reach out if you have any further questions
brocoli is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brocoli For This Useful Post:
Old 06-22-2023, 12:25 PM   #19
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
#22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 12:29 PM   #20
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Is there a windier place on earth?
Specifically the hill with the Prince of Wales hotel.

Mother nature's wind tunnel.

Tags
cardston , hiking , pincher creek , waterton