Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2023, 12:33 PM   #21
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatylo View Post
How sketchy is the ladder section that everyone mentions about crypt? Tempted to do it but hopefully I can find a group to go with
Parks recently updated - they've just about finished replacing all the cabling/anchors/ladder.

Quote:
TRAIL CLOSURE: Crypt Lake trail at kilometre three, from 𝐌𝐨𝐧𝐝𝐚𝐲, 𝐉𝐮𝐧𝐞 𝟏𝟗 𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐨𝐮𝐠𝐡 𝐓𝐡𝐮𝐫𝐬𝐝𝐚𝐲, 𝐉𝐮𝐧𝐞 𝟐𝟐 (weather dependent).

Construction begins on Friday, June 16, and continues through the weekend. The trail will remain open until Monday. Obey all signage and give crews the space they need to complete this important work.

We’re replacing the guide cable, anchors and ladder on the upper portion of the trail. Crypt Landing, Hell Roaring falls loop and the lower parts of Crypt trail remain open.

Hiking adventures in Waterton Lakes National Park: https://parks.canada.ca/pn-np/ab/wat...andonee-hiking

Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2023, 02:33 PM   #22
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks for all of the ideas and advice. More are welcomed. I’m starting to develop an itinerary that includes a swing east to Drumheller and Dinosaur Provincial Park. Advice for that segment is also appreciated. I want to visit Wayne.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2023, 02:45 PM   #23
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Thanks for all of the ideas and advice. More are welcomed. I’m starting to develop an itinerary that includes a swing east to Drumheller and Dinosaur Provincial Park. Advice for that segment is also appreciated. I want to visit Wayne.
My advice? Cut them from a Waterton trip and do it seperately. Drumheller and Dinosaur is a pretty long haul from Waterton. You can see most of Drumheller (and Wayne) in a weekend (or long weekend) trip from Calgary.

If you want hoodoos, Writing on Stone makes more sense as an Eastern addition.

Last edited by Torture; 06-23-2023 at 02:50 PM.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Torture For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2023, 05:35 PM   #24
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redliner View Post
Cardston sucks. Definitely stay in the park if you can swing it.
I’m agreeing with your advice to stay in Waterton and am looking at options but why do you say Cardston sucks? We stayed one night there years ago and found it pleasant. Found a nice restaurant and went to the theatre.
Old 06-23-2023, 05:38 PM   #25
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

I visited head-smashed-in buffalo jump on the way back from Waterton before. It was awesome!
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Johnny199r For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2023, 05:44 PM   #26
Redliner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
I’m agreeing with your advice to stay in Waterton and am looking at options but why do you say Cardston sucks? We stayed one night there years ago and found it pleasant. Found a nice restaurant and went to the theatre.
I just always found Cardston to be a grubby little town, and the downtown area (if you can really call it that - it’s one street) seems to have its issues with homelessness and public intoxication. I have family in Cardston and some of them love the place but personally I can’t get out of there fast enough. Plus almost every time I’ve eaten at the Cardston Dairy Queen I’ve gotten sick, so I’d avoid that place like the plague. If you enjoyed it then by all means go back - it’s just not for me.
"There will be a short outage tonight sometime between 11:00PM and 1:00AM as network upgrades are performed. Please do not panic and overthrow society. Thank you."
Redliner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Redliner For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2023, 07:27 PM   #27
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Let’s discuss Waterton Lakes National Park

If you make it a little more west, you could visit Frank. The climb up Turtle Mtn isn’t too *strenuous either, but if you stay around the rock fields and interpretive centre, it’s also really good.

* depending on fitness level.

Last edited by Wormius; 06-23-2023 at 07:31 PM.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2023, 07:48 PM   #28
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
If you make it a little more west, you could visit Frank. The climb up Turtle Mtn isn’t too *strenuous either, but if you stay around the rock fields and interpretive centre, it’s also really good.

* depending on fitness level.
We’re deciding if we’ll do this or take the Going to the Sun and come up through the Okanagan to visit friends in Penticton. It’s an option.
Old 06-23-2023, 11:13 PM   #29
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ride your motorcycle to Wayne! It's a nice ride and I think you cross 11 bridges on the way. I attended a rally there one year and they have all kinds of competitions and such. It's a lot of fun!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2023, 01:59 PM   #30
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you are going in September go early in September. The later you go the more you risk having a lot of the shops and restaurants closed for the season. Waterton is very seasonal. Once they hit out of season you maybe have 10% or less of shops and restaurants open.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 03:22 PM   #31
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
If you are going in September go early in September. The later you go the more you risk having a lot of the shops and restaurants closed for the season. Waterton is very seasonal. Once they hit out of season you maybe have 10% or less of shops and restaurants open.
Yes, I’m aiming for Sept. 11-13.

Hoping to hit Head Smashed In and the Frank slide before or after.

Tags
cardston , hiking , pincher creek , waterton