Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2010, 11:10 AM   #21
Cactus Jack
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm not a hiker but my buddy who is organized a trip for a bunch of us to China Man's Peak. I think it also goes by a more PC name but I believe it's by Canmore and was roughly a 750m accension if I recall correctly. Challenging but rewarding for a beginner.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:39 AM   #22
Cowperson
CP Pontiff

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pastiche View Post
Cowperson just had an orgasm.
Any excuse for a photo splurge . . . . .

This is what we were doing yesterday . . . . . that's Hailstone Butte in the far background.

Cowperson
Old 05-03-2010, 12:06 PM   #23
Cscutch
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Headwall Lakes, Amazing hike with the option of scrambling up to the Fortress or Mount Chester and then exiting on the Chester Lake side.

Two Pictures From July 28th Last Year. The first one is pointing the way we came up. The second is the last lake with the fortress in the back ground.

Cscutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cscutch For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2010, 12:11 PM   #24
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Jack View Post
I'm not a hiker but my buddy who is organized a trip for a bunch of us to China Man's Peak. I think it also goes by a more PC name but I believe it's by Canmore and was roughly a 750m accension if I recall correctly. Challenging but rewarding for a beginner.
Hao Ling Peak is actually a fantastic suggestion for a bunch of newbies. I know a few guys that used that as the first mountain they summited with their kids. It'll be the first I take my daughter on when she's of age.

It's definitely a grind, but not technical, so you'll get the satisfaction of summiting a mountain with none of the danger that others pose like Baldy or Indefatigable.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to V For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2010, 12:44 PM   #25
dubc80
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Another vote for Ha Ling Peak. Thats a great one for people starting out. It's shorter (I believe its under 2 hrs round trip), the path is well defined, and there is no exposure till you get to the summit. Great views and a sense of accomplishment when you get to the top. Plus, you have time to go to the Grizzly Paw back in Canmore for a few drinks and lunch.

Other good scrambles for beginners are Heart Mountain loop and Mt. Yamnuska.

Mt. Yamnuska has one semi-sketchy part where you have to hold onto a wire to get across an exposed section though...

Last edited by dubc80; 05-03-2010 at 12:46 PM.
dubc80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dubc80 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2010, 01:00 PM   #26
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurnaceFace View Post
Ignore Johnston Canyon it's not very interesting to walk and is packed with all sorts of humanity. You're better to hike around Lake Louise which while equally busy is the postcard picture they should all take. Hike up to The Beehive and teahouse. You should go to Maligne Lake and if the bears aren't active hike up to Constellation Lake. It's reasonable easy. Grassi lakes outside Canmore is also a simple hike. Another option is to go up to the base at Sunshine and do some hikes from there.

Troll Falls in K Country is also pretty relaxing for a warm up or cool down day.

Only warning I'd have is check in with the rangers to see the bear activity or check online.
I would add the hike to Sentinel Pass through Larch Valley.

August, unless summer is very hot and berries ripen early, you should be OK for hiking in Lake Louise area. In September, there is almost always a bear problem in that area.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to redforever For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2010, 08:09 PM   #27
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

This may have to spawn a Hiking/Climbing megathread. This thread gave me lots of ideas for this summer...
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 09:00 PM   #28
GreatWhiteEbola
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Prefect View Post
If you have time when you are in Drum, drive out to Wayne and have a couple fruit jars of draft at the Last Chance Saloon. It's a semi-famous hole in the wall with lots of colourful history.
I never hear much about Wayne. My Great-Grandfather was a mine owner there at the turn of the century. Ideal Coal I believe was the name of the company.

GreatWhiteEbola is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GreatWhiteEbola For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2010, 08:32 AM   #29
socktape
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Prefect View Post
If you have time when you are in Drum, drive out to Wayne and have a couple fruit jars of draft at the Last Chance Saloon. It's a semi-famous hole in the wall with lots of colourful history.
Or there is pizza night at Sam's Saloon in Rowley on the last Saturday of the month during the summer.
socktape is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alberta is awesome , banff , hiking , kananaskis , need advice