Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-17-2021, 01:27 PM   #21
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
And the Oilers are the Oilers.

Talbot’s first year in Edmonton, he put up 2.55/.917 on a team that finished 25th in goals against.

Next year, they finished 8th (after playing Talbot 73 games) then right back to 25th (67 GP for Talbot) because they’re the friggen Oilers.

Cam Talbot is a better goalie than Jacob Markstrom.

Only a biased person would argue otherwise.
GM poll and Vezina voting say otherwise...I guess they are all biased

You obviously started this thread with an axe to grind

Enjoy being miserable
Old 10-17-2021, 01:30 PM   #22
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by playmaker View Post
Markstrom is not a problem. This team does not have #1D neither it has #1C and thus it's not going to compete. Rebuild. Period.
He’s way down the list of problems, that’s for sure.

And there’s something to be said for consistency in the crease.

But Talbot signed a 3 year $10.8M deal with Minnesota. Which means we could’ve had him back for something in that ballpark.

Treliving instead chose to give Markstrom twice the term and $25M more because…………

It’s decisions like these that cause this team to be capped out all the time. There’s no reason for it, other than they want some good press July 1.
Old 10-17-2021, 01:34 PM   #23
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
He’s way down the list of problems, that’s for sure.

And there’s something to be said for consistency in the crease.

But Talbot signed a 3 year $10.8M deal with Minnesota. Which means we could’ve had him back for something in that ballpark.

Treliving instead chose to give Markstrom twice the term and $25M more because…………

It’s decisions like these that cause this team to be capped out all the time. There’s no reason for it, other than they want some good press July 1.
There is better way to find money. Especially with Vlader costing so little against the cap. If we were running Talbot/Vlader I’d be worried, and we’d end up having another 1b type guy for around 2.5-3.5 mill. And Markstrom is better.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 01:39 PM   #24
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Something tells me he wasn't this big of a Talbot booster when he was actually on the team

Also Tre didn't give it to him "just because"

Markstrom was ranked the #1 FA goalie above Talbot (biased media I guess) and had 7x5 and other offers on the table

Flames paid market price

Last edited by dino7c; 10-17-2021 at 01:42 PM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 01:46 PM   #25
Rejean31
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
Yeah stats may say one thing, but my eye test says different.

We haven’t had a goalie this calm and positionally sound since Kipper.
He may not outright steal us games we have no right being in, but he never loses the game for us.

With Talbot/Rittich/Smith/ all the previous goalies you could just feel an easy one could go in at any time and a one goal lead would never be enough, or that we’d end up playing from behind because of a weak one.
I would say he lost the game for us last night. He needed to make that save on Puljuarvi. When that went it, the way it did 26 seconds after the Flames had got themselves back in the game, it was game set and match.
Old 10-17-2021, 01:47 PM   #26
TheSquatch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Markstrom is not a problem. This team does not have #1D neither it has #1C and thus it's not going to compete. Rebuild. Period.
Pretty simple when you break it down like that.
TheSquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 02:00 PM   #27
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Rebuild or trade to get those pieces in place (Eichel, ____?) And build around them.

Doing anything else is simply wasting your time in no man's land of 12th-18th place.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2021, 02:04 PM   #28
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
GM poll and Vezina voting say otherwise...I guess they are all biased

You obviously started this thread with an axe to grind

Enjoy being miserable
First of all, We’re not on a jury. I’m not giving out a government contract. My “bias” is immaterial.

I looked at the numbers of our goalie, and of our previous goalies, and had thoughts.

Sue me.

Post script: the closest both Markstrom and Talbot have come to a Vezina is 4th. Unless you think one extra 10th place finish in tilts the scales the tune of 3 extra years and $25M?

Last edited by GreenLantern2814; 10-17-2021 at 05:29 PM.
GreenLantern2814 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 02:42 PM   #29
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

One game into the season, ONE game, on the road, after more than a week off, against a team that had already gotten their season under way, in which they didn't even play that bad, and we have:

1) an immediate bump of the reliving Needs To Go thread
2) Level of change to the Flames organization thread,
3) It Is Time rebuild thread, and
4) Jacob Markstrom, is he any good thread

how about we gear it down just a touch and maybe see how things go for a few games?
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2021, 02:43 PM   #30
schteve_d
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Lmao, except when he literally carried the Canucks on his back. Not a difference maker...some of the posts in here are just reaching for negativity.
Literally?
schteve_d is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to schteve_d For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2021, 02:48 PM   #31
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

It seems to me that Markstrom has always been a bit of a streaky goalie. He'll have stretches of lights out play and stretches where he's below average resulting in an overall performance that's above average.

I agree with everyone saying "he's not the problem", but I also think he's not so great that he can obscure the other problems, as elite goalies seem to be able to do.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2021, 03:48 PM   #32
flamesrule_kipper34
Franchise Player

Exp:

Markstrom looked elite for the first month of last season. Ever since the head collision he's been average at best.

I hope he works out of it this season but if he continues at his current level of play I have to say I disagree with posters who say he's not the problem. I'd wager he is because we've spent $ on goaltending to be elite at the cost of spending it on other holes.
flamesrule_kipper34 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to flamesrule_kipper34 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2021, 04:04 PM   #33
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Jakob Markstrom has had an above average save percentage twice in seasons with over 20 appearances

In 2019-20 his .918 compared favourably to the league average of .910
In 2018-19 his .912 was a bit above the .910 average

That is all. He had one pretty good season and Tre bought high, and paid him

He subsequently put up a below average season. Sure he had hot streaks and cold streaks. That doesn’t matter at the end of the day. It’s just the excuses for poor results.

He has lost a lot more than he has won, with a career 132-138-34

But there is just no arguing with some people. It is as effective as showing data to anti vaxxers

I do think this year he will be above average statistically due to Sutter

* I don’t think he was that bad last night either.

I just don’t think he is anything different than what his career statistics indicate
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2021, 04:26 PM   #34
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Over the last four years Markstrom had played the 4th most games of any goaltender. He’s one of six guys who have played more than 200 games and sits about even with John Gibson and Freddy Andersen in both SV% and GAA (little bit better than both in GAA, 0.02% worse than Gibson in SV).

4/6 make more than Markstrom, 1 makes less (Andersen). He’s paid the way he’s paid because he’s consistent and gives you a chance to win playing a ton of games. I’m not sure what people expect for $6M. Markstrom is worth the money and does his job.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2021, 04:35 PM   #35
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Over the last four years Markstrom had played the 4th most games of any goaltender. He’s one of six guys who have played more than 200 games and sits about even with John Gibson and Freddy Andersen in both SV% and GAA (little bit better than both in GAA, 0.02% worse than Gibson in SV).

4/6 make more than Markstrom, 1 makes less (Andersen). He’s paid the way he’s paid because he’s consistent and gives you a chance to win playing a ton of games. I’m not sure what people expect for $6M. Markstrom is worth the money and does his job.

Me? For 6 M I would expect elite, not average. Cam Talbot is above average and considerably cheaper

You have cherry picked John Gibson’s last 2 years where Anaheim was a terrible team, btw. And included Markstrom’s 2 best seasons (relative to league average)

Teams like Chicago and Detroit won cups with guys like Crawford and Osgood and Pittsburgh with a variety because they understood that winning has more to do with the team in front of the goalie

This team shouldn’t have spent that money on this goalie IMO but it’s done, so no point belabouring it much more
Old 10-17-2021, 04:36 PM   #36
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesrule_kipper34 View Post
Markstrom looked elite for the first month of last season. Ever since the head collision he's been average at best.

I hope he works out of it this season but if he continues at his current level of play I have to say I disagree with posters who say he's not the problem. I'd wager he is because we've spent $ on goaltending to be elite at the cost of spending it on other holes.
Never should've let Markstrom play the Canucks through that whole three or four game set.

He was losing his cool and composure towards the end of it against his old team which culminated in the injury.

Taking one of those games off may have grounded him mentally so he wasn't flying out of his net and making himself vulnerable.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 04:49 PM   #37
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Me? For 6 M I would expect elite, not average. Cam Talbot is above average and considerably cheaper

You have cherry picked John Gibson’s last 2 years where Anaheim was a terrible team, btw. And included Markstrom’s 2 best seasons (relative to league average)

Teams like Chicago and Detroit won cups with guys like Crawford and Osgood and Pittsburgh with a variety because they understood that winning has more to do with the team in front of the goalie

This team shouldn’t have spent that money on this goalie IMO but it’s done, so no point belabouring it much more
Cherry picked? I took the last four years. Every goaltender has things go well for them and poorly for them. Some have great seasons, some have bad ones. I went back four years because it’s the only stretch Markstrom has been a starter for, it wasn’t cherry picked to make one guy look better than the other, it’s just the last four years.

You may want to pay $6M for an elite goaltender, but that’s not what they sell for, so it really doesn’t matter what you expect from those dollars.

Talbot is above average? Dude has one season where he was notably better than Markstrom in the last four years. 1 season where they were similar, and 2 worse. And he also can’t handle the same workload. Who cares about Cam Talbot?
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 05:15 PM   #38
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Talbot has a career .915 to JMs .910

Oh, and he played here. So he is someone people are kind of familiar with, a bit relevant

Plus when talking $ vs performance, he is better

No use discussing further. You love Markstrom and we all hope it works out
Old 10-17-2021, 05:18 PM   #39
Teroy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
We just can't buy a break with goalies.

Even Talbot #### the bed against Dallas in the last couple games.

His overall body of work was solid but he struggled when it mattered most.

Markstrom stole a number of games for the Canucks in the bubble, against the defending champs, no less. So I still have faith in this guy. If he's 20th ranked in the regular season but ramps it up for the POs like he did for Vancouver then ill be more than okay with it.
If he's 20th ranked we probably aren't in the playoffs.
Teroy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Teroy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2021, 05:26 PM   #40
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post

I don’t know about games played being the measuring stick for value.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote