Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2021, 12:26 PM   #361
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman View Post
Amazons biggest innovation was in supply chain management. How amazing is it that you can order almost anything and have it delivered the next day? I don’t recall that being the case prior to Amazon and some companies still can’t manage that. They were also pretty innovative with the echo. Who would have guessed Amazon was going to lead the charge in the personal smart assistant space? I know google has closed the gap and passed them in some areas, but Amazon was the first.
Bezos has also said some of the big reasons Amazon figured that all out has to do with who was available to hire, and then the right hires being made.

The ability to do that comes from a whole slew of other intangibles, and none of them are luck.

The whole idea around Amazon Prime was executed on not necessarily by Bezos, but by someone he hired at the time who made it happen (forgot the exact name).

They were also failing at it for many, many years before it actually worked out.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2021, 12:29 PM   #362
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not sure if I actually want to read the thread, but before I do, are there any actual tips to avoid paying taxes or just a whole lot of bickering and pitchforks?

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VladtheImpaler For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2021, 12:29 PM   #363
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
Not sure if I actually want to read the thread, but before I do, are there any actual tips to avoid paying taxes or just a whole lot of bickering and pitchforks?
Its mostly bickering and pitchforks.

I fueled my torches, but thats just because I'm a contrarian.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 01:59 PM   #364
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Hmmm.....not really.

One of the things is that Wealthy people often are lucky insofar as they tend to get a head start.

Bezos' family could afford to help fund his business, thats fortunate, my parents couldnt. I'm not saying thats the difference between blowing up rockets for fun and asking me if I 'want fries with that' but fortune can still be a factor.

A fascinating experiment was once done where College Students played Monopoly. One of the players by pure chance, a flip of a coin, was selected to start the game with twice as much money as the other players.

That player typically won and more often than not attributed that victory to their sheer superior Monopoly-playing skillz (<- yes with a 'z') as opposed to their starting with a huge advantage.
I never said no one has a head start or unequal opportunities. In fact I've said the exact opposite in this thread and believe strongly in trying to level the playing field of opportunity for all people.

But the statement of the rich are lucky or the poor are lazy and both equally dismissive throw away statements that are used to justify an animosity towards those groups.
I'm sure many poor people are in fact lazy too, but I'd never be dismissive of the circumstances that contribute to someone being poor like abuse, mental health problems, addictions, discrimation, lack of access to education etc.

It's just easy to say take money away from lucky people and that's why people like the OP obsess about saying that. It allows for a Robin Hood type fiction about evil rich people just not accurate in most of the real world.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 02:14 PM   #365
Bend it like Bourgeois
Franchise Player

Exp:
Icon56

Bezos is literally 1 in a billion.
His accomplishments are remarkable. Scaling Everest before it was thought possible kinda stuff. That is not absolution from his faults and issues. Dude rides a giant dick rocket for fun and tracks employees by the minute. He brings it on himself.

Bigger issue is he’s an outlier on how to manage wealth distribution. The current rules are great for industrial economies looking to grow. Less so for digital. We’re not clearly one or the other right now. Dogma isn’t helpful.

How do you tax 2 income households earning 2-500k v single or dual income households above average but not at the lower end of that range? It didn’t matter 20 years ago but is everything today. How do you mediate expanded pharma, daycare, or even current services costs for that wealthy group relative to a lower income household?

We have to figure how to fund the same or better services with 1/10 of the people paying. That is fn hard. It will not get solved presuming ‘the rich’ avoid taxes or ‘the poor’ are lazy. The remarkable few will do their thing. The bills are paid and cashed by the mostly unremarkable who do the best they can.
Bend it like Bourgeois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 05:09 PM   #366
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
You already know the answer.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 05:41 PM   #367
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
You already know the answer.
It actually became somewhat interesting once Slava, Enoch Root, Leondros, and DoubleF started discussing back and forth and things got somewhat educational. Before then, yeah, it was a pretty useless thread.

Last edited by TorqueDog; 09-29-2021 at 08:16 AM.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 05:46 PM   #368
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
Just wondering.. did you watch the video? One of the loopholes is that guys like Musk and Bezos are able to borrow using their unrealized stocks as collateral, which gives them liquidity without taxation and allows them to further buy things, real estate, etc. and just continue to increase their wealth.

The plebes on this site will never be in a situation where we can do the same thing. The biggest issue I have is with wealth hoarding. There should be some limits on things like this. You get to a certain point and your actual wealth is meaningless to you.

Additionally, these billionaires should be investing in projects to do things like revolutionizing energy, transportation, fighting climate change, etc. instead of going to space. Space travel is meaningless while our planet burns.
Much if not all the technology that has gone into developing space flight is going to find it's way into everyday life eventually, and probably sooner than later. Without these billionaires pushing these project many of this technology would either be delayed or not developed.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2021, 09:04 PM   #369
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Much if not all the technology that has gone into developing space flight is going to find it's way into everyday life eventually, and probably sooner than later. Without these billionaires pushing these project many of this technology would either be delayed or not developed.

Is it? They aren’t inventing something really new. It’s neat any everything but right now they’re still re-inventing the wheel for the most part when it comes to space flight.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 06:35 AM   #370
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Starllink is something new. Landable, reusable rockets are new. Space-X is certainly doing unique things. Not really convinced Virgin Galactic has any value, and Blue Origin is way behind.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2021, 07:57 AM   #371
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Starllink is something new. Landable, reusable rockets are new. Space-X is certainly doing unique things. Not really convinced Virgin Galactic has any value, and Blue Origin is way behind.
But of course the competition that they create forces SpaceX to be on top of their game.

Especially these days.

One has to be pretty ignorant to not understand how value the space industry has been for mankind the last 50+ years.
Old 09-29-2021, 08:45 AM   #372
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post

Starlink isn’t space travel, and satellites aren’t new. Reusable rockets, not really space travel either, mainly as means to launch satellites into orbit. Musk says it’s the Holy Grail. Is it?

What would you say has been advanced beyond what NASA and other space agencies did before the billionaires came along?
Old 09-29-2021, 08:52 AM   #373
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you are expecting some massive step change in technology, that's probably pretty rare. It's the incremental gains. Reusable rockets make launches much more affordable. It's also a path to the larger rockets, like Starship. Ultimately it's a long road, but these companies need to first catch where NASA was, then surpass it. They've already done what NASA hasn't, make a new vehicle to get to the Space Station.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 09:33 AM   #374
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Starlink isn’t space travel, and satellites aren’t new. Reusable rockets, not really space travel either, mainly as means to launch satellites into orbit. Musk says it’s the Holy Grail. Is it?

What would you say has been advanced beyond what NASA and other space agencies did before the billionaires came along?
Starlink was made possible because of reusable rockets. Otherwise the high cost of startup would prohibit it from being available for $99 per month.

The launch, recovery, relaunch ability that SpaceX has created has significantly lowered the cost of anything space related.

Whether that is Starlink, sending people to the ISS, mining the moon, sending people to Mars, space travel, etc.

The biggest thing I see is the ability to find natural resources on other planets, moons, etc. Maybe then we wouldn't ravage our own planet as much.

But none of that happens unless the cost of launching & relaunching comes down significantly. That doesn't happen without small incremental steps.

Like I said, I think you have to have your head buried pretty far in the sand to not realize what we stand to gain from the ability to cheaply travel into space.
Old 09-29-2021, 10:03 AM   #375
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The only way for our species to meaningfully advance into space travel is through profitability. The next game changer is going to be when one of these companies wrangle an asteroid with trillions of dollars worth of minerals in it, then everyone's going to start throwing money at this new tech it like crazy and who knows how the world will react to rare minerals becoming commonplace (ie - platinum manhole covers).
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 10:21 AM   #376
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

https://markmanspivotalpoint.com/new...nity-in-space/

Quote:
Bringing back several tons of platinum and gold would diminish the value of those metals here. Their value is a function of their rarity.

A better business model would be to find, stake and mine the valuable space metals, then leave the minerals there as reserves. Prices on Earth would not be negatively impacted, while reserves could be financed.

In space, water is even more valuable than precious metals.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2021, 10:28 AM   #377
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default How the Rich Avoid Paying Taxes

Those metals are useful beyond their value as investments. I think having all of that to be able to use would outweigh the problems associated with the value dropping.
Old 09-29-2021, 10:53 AM   #378
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

I think I've already said this recently, but I personally have no problem with billionaires, or multi-millionaires, or anything else attached to wealth.

What I'm concerned with is simply inequality - specifically, all of the measurements demonstrating that the share of wealth held by the richest has increased massively over the last forty years in Western societies.

And the gap will continue to grow: capital is far outstripping wages in growth, which is a feedback loop common under all capitalist systems, and requires mechanisms to prevent or reverse.

I don't think it should be shock-taxes, or completely upsetting the apple cart, but I do believe that there are signs (Trump, Brexit, anti-vaxxers) that destabilization and populism is already growing across most Western societies. There could be - and likely will be - worse to come, especially with the pressures climate change will present.

Populism, violence, unrest - these are ultimately inimical to stability and growth. Western societies, and especially Bezos et al, rely on stable markets for their products. That means the masses. The "Walmart" formula of sucking the public coffers dry to artificially increase profit margins is a recipe for disaster in the long term in my opinion.

There are not easy answers, but in my opinion the signs are there. And history has pretty clear lessons on what happens when inequality reaches a boiling point.
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AltaGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2021, 05:26 PM   #379
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

And the beat goes on...
https://www.cbc.ca/news/pandora-pape...ance-1.6197303
https://www.icij.org/investigations/pandora-papers/
Mathgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 06:12 PM   #380
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I read about that this morning.

Well...thats what happens when you dont do anything about it.

I could go on and on, but if there is no enforcement this is just going to continue to happen. The wealthy can continue to do this kind of thing, thats why just 'increasing the tax rates on the wealthy' isnt going to do anything.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:

Tags
fair share , rich , tax , taxes , wealth