Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2021, 09:43 AM   #181
Doctorfever
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
I have been thinking about this all day.

I can play three different instruments, or at least I could. I quit them all. ####, I can sing. Alone. The only song I’ve ever sung in front of my wife where I wasn’t deliberately submarining my cause is “See My Vest”.

Thanks for sharing GL.

I know several people who have struggled with different things in their lives. Everyone is different and has different challenges.

I am always amazed how some people have those great musical talents while other people (like me) can’t grasp any instruments no matter how much they try.

I have always envied people who can pick up a guitar and strum a few cords. Hopefully you can find some time play these instruments again, I have always found music to be so therapeutic, even though I can only listen to it and sing along (very poorly).
Old 10-20-2021, 05:20 PM   #182
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just want to say, a number of posters have reached out in the PMs over the last two days with a whole lot of supportive things to say. I’ve been a member of this forum since 2011, and not to go all Skip Bayless on everyone, but I’ve never seen anything like this.

I’m overwhelmed and beyond grateful, and it’s just more proof how special this place is.
Old 10-20-2021, 05:56 PM   #183
Eb0la11
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

After reading some folks posts on just marijuana it makes me irritated that there is an opinion that is voicing to legalize and regulate even more ridiculous substances. If people openly are stating that marijuana has impacted their lives in a wasteful way then that’s probably enough when it’s mostly used as an “activity”. I for one hope and will teach my kids to never touch that or cigs or other drugs. Even drinking can and does ruin lives regularly. That is all our household participates in.

These drugs should never be legalized or regulated. They should be illegal with harsh restrictions forever. The laws are their to hopefully protect you from the harsher consequences of disobeying law and that includes fines, jail time, community service and even death. Not to mention the lives ruined trafficking it…
Eb0la11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 06:13 PM   #184
TheoFleury
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eb0la11 View Post
After reading some folks posts on just marijuana it makes me irritated that there is an opinion that is voicing to legalize and regulate even more ridiculous substances. If people openly are stating that marijuana has impacted their lives in a wasteful way then that’s probably enough when it’s mostly used as an “activity”. I for one hope and will teach my kids to never touch that or cigs or other drugs. Even drinking can and does ruin lives regularly. That is all our household participates in.

These drugs should never be legalized or regulated. They should be illegal with harsh restrictions forever. The laws are their to hopefully protect you from the harsher consequences of disobeying law and that includes fines, jail time, community service and even death. Not to mention the lives ruined trafficking it…
Okay Nancy Reagan

Sent from my SM-G988W using Tapatalk
TheoFleury is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to TheoFleury For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2021, 06:36 PM   #185
Eb0la11
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

You’re welcome. More people need to speak up to. There’s things that are good for society and things that are bad. We’ve seen enough things get changed in the past decade than needed. It’s interesting many of today’s society is wanting to change the way the world worked for literally thousands of years. Some things are for the better, don’t hear what I’m not saying, but there’s a lot that doesn’t need to change too and keeping hard drugs extremely illegal is one of the things that doesn’t need to change.
Old 10-20-2021, 06:41 PM   #186
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

Yes, 'even alcohol' ruins countless more lives than every other drug combined. Impaired driving, domestic abuse, sexual assault, healthcare costs, job loss, fights and on and on. Maybe it should be better regulated.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to chedder For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2021, 07:19 PM   #187
TheoFleury
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
You’re welcome. More people need to speak up to. There’s things that are good for society and things that are bad. We’ve seen enough things get changed in the past decade than needed. It’s interesting many of today’s society is wanting to change the way the world worked for literally thousands of years. Some things are for the better, don’t hear what I’m not saying, but there’s a lot that doesn’t need to change too and keeping hard drugs extremely illegal is one of the things that doesn’t need to change.
Never said thank you lol. I just find the conservative parrot talk on this subject amusing at this point. The war on drugs has been a spectacular failure at best. The black market has never been stronger, criminals continue to make unfathomable amounts of money and the danger to the user has never been higher.

Putting addicts in jail serves what purpose exactly? Letting them die because the product is totally unregulated is helping how? You do realize that the problem will exist regardless of how much you punish users, right? In fact, it will get worse because addicts with criminal records will have their lives ruined permanently... where do you think they will turn then?

Try approaching this with a modicum of empathy. Maybe realize some problems can't be solved with a hammer. This is a complicated, emotionally charged issue that is clouded by right wing rhetoric and an unrelenting resistance to see the forest for the trees.

Whatever. It's an annoying debate. Probably just have to wait a decade or two for the corrupt dinosaurs to die off, then maybe we'll see the issue taken seriously by those who see addicts as people that need support. Much progress has been made but many still view addicts as sub human, scum of society.

TheoFleury is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to TheoFleury For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2021, 07:31 PM   #188
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoFleury View Post
Okay Nancy Reagan

The joke loses a lot when it's shorter than the auto Tapatalk sig
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 07:38 PM   #189
Eb0la11
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Empathy is a good word and should be applied to most debates today and you are correct in bringing it up here. The empathy side for addicts is for those that have already engaged harsh substances. I’m more worried about proactive solutions rather than reactive. Addicts became addicts through access. Why would you increase access? The argument that it will exist no matter what has no merit towards decriminalizing it. If it were possible society would be better served if these things simply didn’t exist period. Everyone of these substances is created through greed and power cravings through the dealers. Power from money or possession of a substance others enslave their entire livelihood toward obtaining. That position provides some level of power and money feeds greed.

There’s a lot of other healthy things in this world that can give you the same and actually a better high than any of these drugs. Try having a small human being created partly from your DNA say “I love you daddy”(or mommy). That’s a high you can’t replicate.

I don’t know your situation in life but I really think society would be better off adjusting voting rules to those that have dependants exclusively. That’s the demographic that is actually shaping an opinion toward voting that results in a world not only for them but those they care for. A lot of people are simply selfish with their opinions and what would serve them, their lifestyle or serve their addictions best - not what’s best for the upcoming generation or a dependent of a different demographic.

Where is your opinion coming from in regards to making the world a better place for the next generations? The addicts need help, no doubt but the rules for future generations should not be shaped off this groups problems.
Old 10-20-2021, 07:39 PM   #190
Scornfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Life and human society is nothing like it was 50 years ago, let alone a thousand.
Scornfire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 07:45 PM   #191
Eb0la11
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scornfire View Post
Life and human society is nothing like it was 50 years ago, let alone a thousand.
Correct. It’s relatively insulting for today’s generation to be suggesting so many long standing changes though. Do we really think the history of mankind got all these topics wrong, even though many of them were effective for thousands of years? It’s a slap in the face of all our ancestors. I guess none of that matters though right? Heritage means nothing. Tradition means nothing. Culture means nothing. Past generations were wrong in criminalizing this stuff; Complete BS if you believe those last four statements.
Old 10-20-2021, 07:46 PM   #192
Scornfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

"Because that's the way it's always been" is not an argument.

I think it's pretty clear you're a hardliner, and I'm not going to argue with you. Have a wonderful life
Scornfire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 07:51 PM   #193
Eb0la11
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

No problem, I’d rather keep the forum about hockey and don’t normally speak into any of these discussions.

My argument isn’t because that’s the way it’s always been. The argument is these debates already took place and standards were set by our ancestors and for good reason. Why does every previous generations debates need to be relooked at some frequently? Do we literally think our ancestors were a bunch of dummies?
Old 10-20-2021, 08:09 PM   #194
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Correct. It’s relatively insulting for today’s generation to be suggesting so many long standing changes though. Do we really think the history of mankind got all these topics wrong, even though many of them were effective for thousands of years? It’s a slap in the face of all our ancestors. I guess none of that matters though right? Heritage means nothing. Tradition means nothing. Culture means nothing. Past generations were wrong in criminalizing this stuff; Complete BS if you believe those last four statements.
Wasn't the criminalization of drugs a relatively recent phenomenon?

It seems moves to criminalize drugs only started in the last 500 years. Do you know of any laws against drugs that existed two thousand years ago?

It is well documented that a lot of native tribes encountered by the Western European colonists regularly engaged in ritualized drug use. Many of our ancestors had no taboos against ingesting drugs.

To me it is clear that attempting to crack down and remove drugs and alcohol from society hasn't been effective. Legalization and taxation takes the power and money away from the ruthless and sociopathic, and puts it in the hands of those who might do something better with it.

Modern day Central and Northern South America would likely be in better positions today if the governments of those countries didn't have to constantly battle the scourge of gangs that have as much or more resources than the governments themselves.

Last edited by Oil Stain; 10-20-2021 at 08:14 PM.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 08:11 PM   #195
yourbestfriend
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Empathy is a good word and should be applied to most debates today and you are correct in bringing it up here. The empathy side for addicts is for those that have already engaged harsh substances. I’m more worried about proactive solutions rather than reactive. Addicts became addicts through access. Why would you increase access? The argument that it will exist no matter what has no merit towards decriminalizing it. If it were possible society would be better served if these things simply didn’t exist period. Everyone of these substances is created through greed and power cravings through the dealers. Power from money or possession of a substance others enslave their entire livelihood toward obtaining. That position provides some level of power and money feeds greed.

There’s a lot of other healthy things in this world that can give you the same and actually a better high than any of these drugs. Try having a small human being created partly from your DNA say “I love you daddy”(or mommy). That’s a high you can’t replicate.

I don’t know your situation in life but I really think society would be better off adjusting voting rules to those that have dependants exclusively. That’s the demographic that is actually shaping an opinion toward voting that results in a world not only for them but those they care for. A lot of people are simply selfish with their opinions and what would serve them, their lifestyle or serve their addictions best - not what’s best for the upcoming generation or a dependent of a different demographic.

Where is your opinion coming from in regards to making the world a better place for the next generations? The addicts need help, no doubt but the rules for future generations should not be shaped off this groups problems.
"Rules for future generations should not be shaped off of current groups problems". I'm sure this stance, and rightfully so, was made in 1980. The future's of the infants and young people we were trying to protect then are now at the center of the opioid epidemic. Since then, we've invested billions of dollars on policing, border control, education, passing laws and regulations, not to mention the man hours put into this problem, and I would argue there has been no material change to the reduction of hard drug use.

The problem has changed from, reducing hard drug use to, why are so many people dying from opioid related over doses in the past number of years? Human nature dictates that we'll never eradicate people from doing hard drugs, and based on 40+ years of evidence, we know that the current "solutions" haven't come close to addressing the problem properly. I'm not sure what the solution is and I'm also not advocating for legalizing hard drugs, but our approach to this problem 100% has to change.
yourbestfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 08:12 PM   #196
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
No problem, I’d rather keep the forum about hockey and don’t normally speak into any of these discussions.

My argument isn’t because that’s the way it’s always been. The argument is these debates already took place and standards were set by our ancestors and for good reason. Why does every previous generations debates need to be relooked at some frequently?Do we literally think our ancestors were a bunch of dummies?
Uhhh Yes.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2021, 08:24 PM   #197
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

My argument isn’t because that’s the way it’s always been. The argument is these debates already took place and standards were set by our ancestors and for good reason. Why does every previous generations debates need to be relooked at some frequently? Do we literally think our ancestors were a bunch of dummies?
Our ancestors also thought women shouldn’t have the right to drive or vote. Thought minority’s should sit at the back of the bus and being gay was a choice and wrong. In a lot of ways they were a bunch of dummies yes. It is a really bad argument and a completely outdated way of thinking.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2021, 08:46 PM   #198
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The argument is these debates already took place and standards were set by our ancestors and for good reason. Why does every previous generations debates need to be relooked at some frequently? Do we literally think our ancestors were a bunch of dummies?
The misogynistic, homophobic, racist, slave-owning, religiously indoctrinated, infant genital-mutilating, witch-hunting ancestors who predate decades of research performed in the fields of physiology, sociology, psychology, anthropology, pharmacology, and criminology?

I don't even feel this warrants a response. There are many laws today that are absolutely ridiculous. We live in a world where it's still illegal, and if legal shameful in most places for a woman to bare her breasts because it's "obscene" yet perfectly legal and normalized for a man to do the same.

Why was marijuana illegal in the first place? Not because it was deemed dangerous but because Mexicans used it.

Anyways I agree this is a hockey forum and I don't intend to continue this topic.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 10-20-2021 at 08:55 PM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2021, 08:57 PM   #199
chummer
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1450972798298431491
chummer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to chummer For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2021, 02:42 PM   #200
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didn't follow this thread particularly closely so maybe it was discussed a bit, but in light of today's news I think it's worth noting that Hayes spent his first 4.5 pro seasons in the Blackhawks organization, albeit starting the season following the Hawks first cup and he only played 7 games under Bill Peters.

But, it may well have been a toxic place to spend his formative adult years.

Steve Montador was also in the Hawks org 2011-13 (and it seems that's where his main concussion occurred).

At some point it seems too coincidental to be a coincidence...
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote