Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-25-2007, 04:32 PM   #1
FlamesPuck12
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Xbox 360 Games and Accessories Suggestions

I'm planning to get an Xbox 360 tomorrow but what are some of the games and accessories that you would recommend?

I heard Halo 3 is a must as well as NHL 08. Also heard that I should get the live subscriptions...

I don't know much about Xbox 360 so I'd like to get some information before I go and get it.

Thanks
FlamesPuck12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 04:34 PM   #2
spydermal
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Call of duty 4.
Make sure you get one with a hard drive.
Old 12-25-2007, 04:43 PM   #3
RyZ
First Line Centre

Exp:

If you like FPS you should be in heaven. There are plenty top notch FPS like Bioshock, COD 4 (make sure you have xbox live for COD 4 or put it at the bottom of these 3 as it is only a few hours long in single player) and Halo 3. Gears of War is great too although more of a 3rd person shooter.

If you are looking for a "shooter" with a little more substance go for the highly acclaimed Mass Effect.

Assasaians Creed is another good one.

Keep your eyes out Devil May Cry 4 and Too Human on the horizon.
RyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 06:18 PM   #4
FlamesPuck12
First Line Centre

Exp:

It says the console comes with Forza 2, Ultimate Alliance, Halo 3 and Two Worlds.
Anyone played those games before? Are they good?

Also, is Guitar Hero 3 worth getting?
Old 12-25-2007, 11:55 PM   #5
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

halo 3 is a gooder. the online is amazing. Guitar Hero 3 is very fun in my opinion and I recommend it (if you can find it).

I've heard great things about bioshock (haven't played though).
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 12:05 AM   #6
phaneuf_train
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

If I we're to start off with a fresh 360 I would get Call of Duty 4, Halo 3, NHL 08, A couple controllers with 1 or 2 play and charge kits, xbox live. That's all you need.
phaneuf_train is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 03:18 PM   #7
FlamesPuck12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Ugh they were out of Halo 3 at Futureshop and I was suppose to get it free with the console. So I guess I have to get Halo 3 later. Which one should I get first Halo 3 or CoD 4
Old 12-26-2007, 05:43 PM   #8
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

That's tough.. if you're a fan of the Halo series it's a good game and worth it for the story. But CoD4 is a far better game overall IMO, one of the best gaming experiences I've had in a long time.
Old 12-26-2007, 06:27 PM   #9
LockedOut
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chobyhy View Post
Ugh they were out of Halo 3 at Futureshop and I was suppose to get it free with the console. So I guess I have to get Halo 3 later. Which one should I get first Halo 3 or CoD 4
Did they give you a raincheck for either of those two? You can't go wrong with either of those games for solo and multi play.
LockedOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 06:36 PM   #10
OzSome
Franchise Player

Exp:

my nephew love Halo 3 and he is playing XBox Live. I love the NHL08 especially once I figured out all the tricks such as quick slapshots and so on. Oh and how to get rid of Jeff Friesen and Darren McCarthy for Calgary Flames rosters. Anybody know how?
I got lucked out on Guitar Hero III at Walmart 2 weeks before Christmas. There was 3 left when I came in.
OzSome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 06:39 PM   #11
FlamesPuck12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hmm I thought Halo 3 was like the face of the Xbox 360? But the way Photon described CoD, it sounded like its on par with it, if not better. I guess I'll decide when I get the extra money to buy it.

So far, I love the Nhl 08 on Xbox 360, its amazing, I'm addicted to it.
I also have Two Worlds, Forza 2, Ultimate Alliance but I don't seem to understand any of the games. Ultimate Alliance seemed like a crappy game from the first 5 min I played and Two Worlds, I'm so confused about whats going on.

Few questions...
1) NHL 08, can you get the roster update with the Live Silver?
2) Is there a feature that auto saves dynasty? Right now I have to go to My Nhl 08 -> Save Dynasty -> Select Current File and Click on Done again and confirm that I want to overwrite it.
3) Is there a way to make the game text bigger for all the games? I'm currently playing on a Non-HD, not a large screen TV so it's really tiny and I have trouble reading the text...

Thanks for the help.
Old 12-26-2007, 06:49 PM   #12
photon

Exp:

For both Halo 3 and CoD4 I'm thinking of only the single player component BTW..

Halo 3 was great, I really enjoyed it, loved the music and the story.. Game was hard enough to be fun but didn't get me too frustrated (which probably means it was too easy for most console FPSers, I'm a PC guy).

CoD4 I played on the PC. It was FAR more fun than Halo 3, though I would probably say it was a bit easier, at least on the default modes. The cool things you get to do, the atmosphere, the intensity of some of the missions... a great experience. And I know quite a few people who are totally hooked into the multiplayer (which looks pretty great I must say, but I already am addicted to TF2).

Both were pretty short, so one or both might be worth doing a rental if you aren't playing the multiplayer and have some time to spend on it.
Old 12-26-2007, 07:03 PM   #13
FlamesPuck12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Thanks Photon for the description, they both sound like good games. But I'm like you, I'm a PC guy and this is my first console since N64. Man, I'm so ticked about not getting my free Halo 3 that I was suppose to get, they were out when I got to the store and that was like at 7:20am in the morning. The guy infront of me got the copy and when they got to me, they were out of the copies to give me .

Anyway how about the multiplayer content? I plan to play with my friends and stuff...

By the way, still looking for these answers. Help would be appreciated
2) Is there a feature that auto saves dynasty? Right now I have to go to My Nhl 08 -> Save Dynasty -> Select Current File and Click on Done again and confirm that I want to overwrite it.
3) Is there a way to make the game text bigger for all the games? I'm currently playing on a Non-HD, not a large screen TV so it's really tiny and I have trouble reading the text...
Old 12-26-2007, 07:23 PM   #14
photon

Exp:

I avoid Halo 3 online mostly because a) smacktards and b) I don't like getting my ass handed to me. CoD4 multiplayer looks super-awesome.

1) I don't think you can, at least when I was still with silver I couldn't
2) Not sure
3) Again not sure, sorry
Old 12-27-2007, 01:21 AM   #15
hatty
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chobyhy View Post

Thanks for the help.
I know for (2) that when you make trades it will do an auto save, but otherwise it doesn't, you have to go and save it yourself, i remember that i accidently accepted a trade i meant to press B on, to go back, and when i tried exiting and not have any changes saved, it did an auto save
(3) i had that problem too, the text was too small to read, try to change the setting on the video cable on the xbox, theres a switch on it....not sure if that will help, but when i did switch to an HD tv, i put that to the 720, and it looked alot better
hatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 10:49 AM   #16
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

No, the Silver membership only allows you to access the online store to download game demos, talk to friends and other minor stuff, in order to update rosters and such, you have to have a gold membership.

I thought you were able to activate auto save in NHL08 but it was causing freezing issues?

As for buying accessories, I would recommend getting one of the intercoolers that you clips to the rear of the 360 and has 3 small fans in it that keep the 360 nice and chilly. Does create quite a bit of noise though, not sure why they didn't use more silent fans but once the game gets going, you hardly notice it.

I will also second the the rechargeable battery packs.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 10:52 AM   #17
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you want an older game that you can probably find cheap, look for Condemned: Criminal Origins. It's in the horror genre I suppose, and scared the crap out of me countless times when playing, but it's a great game. Very suspenseful. I've never played anything like it.

But of course, the obvious choices for new games make sense. COD4 is unbelievable. As is NHL 08. If you can find them, pick up Guitar Hero 3 and Rock Band.
metallicat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 12:03 PM   #18
Flame On
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
No, the Silver membership only allows you to access the online store to download game demos, talk to friends and other minor stuff, in order to update rosters and such, you have to have a gold membership.

I thought you were able to activate auto save in NHL08 but it was causing freezing issues?

As for buying accessories, I would recommend getting one of the intercoolers that you clips to the rear of the 360 and has 3 small fans in it that keep the 360 nice and chilly. Does create quite a bit of noise though, not sure why they didn't use more silent fans but once the game gets going, you hardly notice it.

I will also second the the rechargeable battery packs.
At what point does the a/c unit become useful. Is it for like 6 hour sessions or is it useful from the outset?
Re batter packs, I just got some extra double A rechargables that I can swap in. Is the pack any different than rechargable batteries in the clip on case for the controller?
Insulted Other Member(s)
Don't insult other members; even if they are Canuck fans.
Flame On is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 02:30 PM   #19
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

/\/\/\/\/\/\

The rechareable battery packs look just like the ones you would put the double A batteries in. If you have already purchased some good rechargeable batteries, I wouldn't bother.

With regards to the cooler, odds are you would be ok without but I am of the opinion that heat is the single biggest killer of rigs like this so the cooler it runs, the longer it lasts. They get up to their normal running temperatures pretty quick so I don't think that the time that it stays on has much influence on overall temperature but the coolers do really lower the overall temperature of the rig. They are cheap so why not? Only drawback is with the large increase in air being sucked into it, the more dust buildup you will get so do make sure that the room you run it in is as smoke/dust free as possible.

Last edited by GoinAllTheWay; 12-27-2007 at 02:33 PM.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2007, 03:09 PM   #20
FlamesKickAss
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have the plug and play kit. Wasn't going to buy it but best buy had it on for 14.99 and now I would recommend this, it works great.

I have Cod 4 just havent opened it yet, bought it yesterday. I also bought the game scene it as it looks pretty fun. Guitar Hero 3 and NHL 08 are great too!!
FlamesKickAss is offline   Reply With Quote