Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2018, 05:26 PM   #81
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

6y x 5.15m is my guess.
Old 07-13-2018, 05:40 PM   #82
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rejean31 View Post
Reading this thread makes me long for the early 80’s when hockey was more about the game and less about salaries, exchange rates and the almighty dollar. Back then nobody knew or cared what each player made.
Sure, sure. But in those days there was nothing to talk about in July.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 05:53 PM   #83
Hey Connor, It's Mess
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Reading this thread makes me long for the early 80’s when hockey was more about the game and less about salaries, exchange rates and the almighty dollar. Back then nobody knew or cared what each player made.
Get off my lawn!
Hey Connor, It's Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hey Connor, It's Mess For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2018, 05:58 PM   #84
Wood
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I think it's fun and more involving for fans. Also you can still be a fan just like you were in the 80s and not worry about what the GM is doing, but just like back then, you'll have to wait until late September for any "game" to talk about
Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 06:26 PM   #85
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Yeah, and when you couldn’t watch most of the games because they weren’t televised... being a sports fan today is much more engaging and has more depth IMO than it ever has.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VilleN For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2018, 07:11 PM   #86
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VilleN View Post
Yeah, and when you couldn’t watch most of the games because they weren’t televised... being a sports fan today is much more engaging and has more depth IMO than it ever has.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
On the other hand, the Flames were perennial contenders in the '80s...
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2018, 08:03 PM   #87
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
Cuz all players are paid in USD, so when the Canadian dollar is low it’s actually a benefit to the player. They can just convert their USD into CAD and boom you have 30% more money than someone making the same salary in a US market.

Giordano mentioned this as part of his negotiation too. He said, at the time, it actually netted him like 9mill Canadian, and since there’s not a 30% decrease in standard of living or increase in cost of living in Canada vs the US he comes out on top in that equation.

I thought that was covered by the "cost of living" in different cities/countries. It's a minor point, but it doesn't make sense to me to count both. They're all paid in USD, just depends on where they are and how much they can buy with that money.
the2bears is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to the2bears For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2018, 08:08 PM   #88
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Would like to see Lindholm break out of the 40-45 points plateau he's been in. Those numbers are decent and 2nd line worthy but if we're signing him to 5-6 mil, I hope he can take a step and put up over 50. I remember vividly the scouting reports in 2013 and at the time there was very little separating him and Monahan in terms of skill and finish too. That tells me that his ceiling is a bit higher yet than what he has shown so far and most would probably agree. How much that has to do with being in Carolina and surrounded by average skill I don't know. Who were most often his linemates there? Would be interesting to compare to what he will have now in (more likely than not) Tkachuk and Backlund.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 08:16 PM   #89
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Even if Lindholm remains in the 40-45 point range a $5 million contract will still be very manageable.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 08:32 PM   #90
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Would like to see Lindholm break out of the 40-45 points plateau he's been in. Those numbers are decent and 2nd line worthy but if we're signing him to 5-6 mil, I hope he can take a step and put up over 50. I remember vividly the scouting reports in 2013 and at the time there was very little separating him and Monahan in terms of skill and finish too. That tells me that his ceiling is a bit higher yet than what he has shown so far and most would probably agree. How much that has to do with being in Carolina and surrounded by average skill I don't know. Who were most often his linemates there? Would be interesting to compare to what he will have now in (more likely than not) Tkachuk and Backlund.
https://frozenpool.dobbersports.com/...es=2017-2018:R

Looks like he was tossed up and down the line-up quit a bit. Most of his points came from playing with one of Staal, Aho, Skinner, or Teravainen. He didn't get a ton of points playing with Rask or McGinn (no big deal surprise there)
MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 08:34 PM   #91
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the2bears View Post
I thought that was covered by the "cost of living" in different cities/countries. It's a minor point, but it doesn't make sense to me to count both. They're all paid in USD, just depends on where they are and how much they can buy with that money.
Agree. How much of Gaudreau’s money does he spend in Calgary for example? A small amount I imagine. Really depends where these guys spend their money.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 08:43 PM   #92
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the2bears View Post
Well do you think it costs more to live in Calgary, or New York or LA? Most major NA cities that host these sort of teams have similar costs of living, especially for those who are on the top end. But if you buy a $5 million house in Calgary vs a $5 Million house in San Jose, or Arizona, or Vegas, you're probably ending up with a similar type of home regardless. The cost of living in Canada is not 30% higher than the US. The taxes might be 30% higher in some places, but that's kind of what were talking about. Signing a $5 million in Canada vs Florida might not see as much tax being taken off, but that tax in Canada is being taken off of $7m, not $5m

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Agree. How much of Gaudreau’s money does he spend in Calgary for example? A small amount I imagine. Really depends where these guys spend their money.
Yeah this is what Giordano referred to. He said, as a Canadian, who plans on living in Canada and spending most of his time and money in Canada, he makes out much better than he would if he signed for a similar number on an American team. But either way, if you invest well and end up with good timing, you could end up coming out like a bandit if the currencies are ever close to par again.

Last edited by Coach; 07-13-2018 at 08:59 PM.
Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 10:28 PM   #93
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
But either way, if you invest well and end up with good timing, you could end up coming out like a bandit if the currencies are ever close to par again.
Nothing prevents a player on a U.S. team from investing his U.S. dollars in Canadian assets, or vice versa.

To say that ~$6.5 million in Canadian money is more than $5 million in U.S. money is silly. They are the same amount of money measured in different units. You might as well say that a 30-centimetre ruler is longer than a 12-inch ruler because 30 > 12.
Old 07-13-2018, 10:41 PM   #94
Niemo
Scoring Winger

Exp:

4.75MM, 6 years please.
Niemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 10:44 PM   #95
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niemo View Post
4.75MM, 6 years please.
That would be pretty wizardly!
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 12:34 AM   #96
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
Nothing prevents a player on a U.S. team from investing his U.S. dollars in Canadian assets, or vice versa.

To say that ~$6.5 million in Canadian money is more than $5 million in U.S. money is silly. They are the same amount of money measured in different units. You might as well say that a 30-centimetre ruler is longer than a 12-inch ruler because 30 > 12.
You're right about the Canadian assets (although there are a bunch of tax implications of investing cross border).

Your analogy about the ruler makes no sense. You're talking about a static form of measurement vs something with a variety of impacts from taxes to cost of living to, yes, currency differences/fluctuations, that can change it's value. If you make $100k/year in Calgary vs PEI, you're living a completely different life. But the amount of money is the same. If you make $100K USD. year, but live in PEI, you're better off than someone living in Connecticut and making the same.

Last edited by Coach; 07-14-2018 at 12:39 AM.
Coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 12:53 AM   #97
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

5 @ 4.7 seems right imo
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 01:41 AM   #98
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anything under 5 million would be wizardly because if you look at comparable contacts to points he should be getting around 5.4

Just goes to show how great the contracts Treliving has been able to sign previously. There is several players under market value.
Old 07-14-2018, 02:00 AM   #99
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Your analogy about the ruler makes no sense. You're talking about a static form of measurement vs something with a variety of impacts from taxes to cost of living to, yes, currency differences/fluctuations, that can change it's value.
On the contrary. The Canadian dollar is not at par with the U.S. dollar in terms of purchasing power. And it makes no difference whether your form of measurement is static or not. If someone pays you $5 million USD and you immediately exchange it for $6.5 million CAD, you have not magically gained the power to buy 30 percent more stuff. Based on the latest figures publicly released for purchasing power parity (which are about a year old now), what you gain is more like 3 percent – and that applies only if you are spending your money on consumer goods entirely in Canada rather than entirely in the U.S. If you do any cross-border shopping or invest any of your capital, you don't even get that much.

Quote:
If you make $100k/year in Calgary vs PEI, you're living a completely different life. But the amount of money is the same. If you make $100K USD. year, but live in PEI, you're better off than someone living in Connecticut and making the same.
If you make $10 million in Calgary and it takes you $100,000 to live on, that is not appreciably different than if you make $10 million in PEI and it takes you $75,000 to live on, or if you make $10 million in Connecticut and it takes $150,000. The actual cost of living is such a minor factor at that income level that it amounts to a rounding error, and is of vanishing importance compared to such things as tax rates.

Last edited by Jay Random; 07-14-2018 at 02:04 AM.
Jay Random is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jay Random For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2018, 02:57 AM   #100
UKflames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

When I have seen 5x5 mentioned elsewhere it has been totally panned by other teams fans for being too high for what he has produced so far. Are we looking at these numbers with rose tinted spectacles as he is a flame or is this really what we should expect????

Just asking as I am rubbish at knowing what is or isnt good value.
UKflames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to UKflames For This Useful Post: