Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2016, 09:26 AM   #601
lifetime_flamesfan
Farm Team Player

Exp:

The Diaz brothers always claim this going into every fight and if they lose then they use it as an excuse.

Nick still says GSP was on steroids, even though he never tested positive (although I personally don't think some one has to test positive for steroids to believe that person is using; ie. Barry Bonds) and part of the reason for him leaving was, he felt the UFC didn't have strict enough testing in the first place.
lifetime_flamesfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 09:46 AM   #602
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

There's a rumor that McGregor wanted 10M and when the UFC rejected him he announced his retirement. lol, ok Conor.

http://fansided.com/2016/04/19/conor...00-retirement/
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Inferno For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2016, 09:53 AM   #603
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wish Dana would come forward and say something.

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 10:19 AM   #604
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

He'll end up in the WWE.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 10:21 AM   #605
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
He'll end up in the WWE.
Not anytime soon. Ask Randy Couture how retiring to get out of a contract worked.

Not sure if he'd work in the WWE to be honest, he's teeny.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 10:26 AM   #606
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

That is my thought too.

Pretty sure his contract was now fight to fight since they couldn't agree on a long term deal. (There were lots of rumors about a $100M contract for him but nothing official ever came out from my understanding)

I have a feeling the WWE has been in his ear about coming over for a big payday, then he witnessed the fight last week where the guy died and thought "If I'm going to do this #### I better be getting paid good for it", and when UFC declined he said screw it.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 04-20-2016 at 10:29 AM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 10:35 AM   #607
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

No, it definitely wasn't fight-to-fight. The UFC doesn't do that, especially with a guy like McGregor. Fight-to-Fight contracts aren't a thing with Zuffa, they lock you up, but can cut you at their discretion.

He signed a new deal after the Aldo fight, and he's fought once since then.
http://www.sportsjoe.ie/mma/report-w...er-fight/59499

If I had to crazy ball park it I'd suggest it was a two-year, six fight deal. That's pretty standard for UFC stars. Two years in length or 6 fights, whichever comes first. If it's not that it's something similar.

The idea that he'll be stepping into anything over than a UFC branded octagon anytime soon is laughable.
Old 04-20-2016, 10:39 AM   #608
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

But if that is true then how would the reports that he is walking away because they wouldn't give him $10M to fight be true.

Considering for the the fight with Aldo that he made $1M (before PPV cut), and that new contract has him making $14-16M per fight already it just makes little sense in regards to how it lines up with other reports.
Old 04-20-2016, 10:59 AM   #609
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Since UFC contracts aren't public record we're just speculating here but generally they agree to length and a set amount of fights to give the promotion. They then negotiate each of those fights as they happen, those are the individual fight contracts.

Considering this fight was already signed, being promoted, etc etc it appears McGregor was trying to squeeze more money of out them, and had his bluffed called and was pulled from the card. That doesn't mean he's now free and clear of his contract.

At minimum I think Connor would have signed something like 2 years/6 fights or 3 years/9 fights. Retire all he wants, he remains under Zuffa's control until either the year or fight mark is reached.
Old 04-20-2016, 11:51 AM   #610
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I mean Vince McMahon could buy out the contract if Dana lets him, but not sure why WWE would do that. Bringing back Brock hasn't exactly been a ratings bonanza for them and Brock's a lot easier to market in pro-wrestling than Connor would be.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 11:53 AM   #611
Hanna Sniper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifetime_flamesfan View Post
The Diaz brothers always claim this going into every fight and if they lose then they use it as an excuse.

Nick still says GSP was on steroids, even though he never tested positive (although I personally don't think some one has to test positive for steroids to believe that person is using; ie. Barry Bonds) and part of the reason for him leaving was, he felt the UFC didn't have strict enough testing in the first place.
Just so it doesn't get blown out by the people that like to twist stuff, I don't think GSp is on steroids, he's on something but not the steroids in which we are referring to her.

GSP pretty much echo's Nick view as well, reason why he was calling for harder testing (just as much to separate his name from the garbage). I have no doubt that both GSP and Nick are looking around and know exactly who is taking and if you are following the fallout they would have been pretty much correct.

A lot of the Nick on GSP about this was the Ufc always putting Georges in Montreal. We see that as his home town but for Nick he seen it as the UFC protecting Georges as Montreal is known to NOT test. I forget the name of the fighter that also fought on that card but had popped 3 of the 4 fights he fount in the UFC and the only card he didn't was that Montreal show. Added to that the crew that follows the fighters around leading up to the fight were amazed abut the amount of weed Nick was smoking leading up to the fight as well (Nick never tested positive for this fight as well) even though he said in an interview with Cheal Sonnen had he been tested he would have easily blown over.

To add more to that Georges didn't make weight the night of the weigh in's. Now every governing body has their own rules of how they do things but Montreal is know for being pretty relaxed on their numbers. While I agree that I don't think Georges didn't make weight by the video that was released afterwards since the actual numbers weren't released he could have been just slightly over and something that could have been easily dropped in the hour given to do such things (or even weigh again nude, since there's no idea how much the total was).

But when it comes down to Nick saying everyone is on steroids a lot of that comes down to how healthy Nick is with his diet but I also believe that Georges is just as frustrated about the fighters around them on steroids as Nick is but is just more polite in the way he says it

It's not an excuse, look at the fallout since then

Last edited by Hanna Sniper; 04-20-2016 at 11:55 AM.
Hanna Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 02:06 PM   #612
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
I mean Vince McMahon could buy out the contract if Dana lets him, but not sure why WWE would do that. Bringing back Brock hasn't exactly been a ratings bonanza for them and Brock's a lot easier to market in pro-wrestling than Connor would be.
Only reason they would is that he is still at his peak and would be a new entity that potentially brought new fans to WWE - Lesnar was a wrestler turned UFC fighter that went back to wrestling after his UFC career had been ended by sickness. Really Lesnar brought more WWE fans into UFC than vice-versa.

McGregor is an active champion who is still only 27 years old, and IMO would likely be the key to them starting a whole new "Lightweight - under 205 lb division" as he would give the division credibility (credibility in a fake scripted event I know).

WWE would be hoping that bring McGregor to WWE in his prime, would do the same thing that bringing Lesnar to UFC in his prime did for them.
Old 04-20-2016, 02:08 PM   #613
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Only reason they would is that he is still at his peak and would be a new entity that potentially brought new fans to WWE - Lesnar was a wrestler turned UFC fighter that went back to wrestling after his UFC career had been ended by sickness. Really Lesnar brought more WWE fans into UFC than vice-versa.

McGregor is an active champion who is still only 27 years old, and IMO would likely be the key to them starting a whole new "Lightweight - under 205 lb division" as he would give the division credibility (credibility in a fake scripted event I know).

WWE would be hoping that bring McGregor to WWE in his prime, would do the same thing that bringing Lesnar to UFC in his prime did for them.
Yeah, I just don't see it happening. I know a lot of people who were originally WWE fans who also became MMA fans. I don't know a lot of people who started off as MMA fans and have become WWE fans.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 02:09 PM   #614
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I'm not sure if it would work - but I could see the WWE trying.
Old 04-20-2016, 08:09 PM   #615
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 09:11 AM   #616
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

As expected, that didn't last long.

660 NEWS Calgary @660NEWS
#UPDATE: UFC star Conor McGregor says he's not retired from fighting, but wants less promotional duties.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 09:17 AM   #617
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am just trying to do my job and fight here.#

I am paid to fight. I am not yet paid to promote.

I have become lost in the game of promotion and forgot about the art of fighting.#

There comes a time when you need to stop handing out flyers and get back to the damn shop.

50 world tours, 200 press conferences, 1 million interviews, 2 million photo shoots, and at the end of it all I'm left looking down the barrel of a lens, staring defeat in the face, thinking of nothing but my incorrect fight preparation. And the many distractions that led to this.#

Nothing else was going through my mind.#

It is time to go back and live the life that got me this life.

Sitting in a car on the way to some dump in Conneticut or somewhere, to speak to Tim and Suzie on the nobody gives a **** morning show did not get me this life.

Talking to some lady that deep down doesn't give a **** about what I'm doing, but just wants some sound bites so she can maybe get her little tight *** a nice raise, and I'm cool with that too, I've been giving you all raises. But I need to focus on me now.

I'm coming for my revenge here.#

I flew an entire team to Portugal and to Iceland to make my adjustments in preparation and fix my errors I made with the weight and the cardio prep.#

With the right adjustments and the right focus, I will finish what I started in that last fight.#

I will not do this if I am back on the road handing out flyers again.

I will always play the game and play it better than anybody, but just for this one, where I am coming off a loss, I asked for some leeway where I can just train and focus. I did not shut down all media requests. I simply wanted a slight adjustment.

But it was denied.#

There had been 10 million dollars allocated for the promotion of this event is what they told me.#
So as a gesture of good will, I went and not only saved that 10 million dollars in promotion money, I then went and tripled it for them.#

And all with one tweet.

Keep that 10 mill to promote the other bums that need it. My shows are good.#

I must isolate myself now.

I am facing a taller, longer and heavier man. I need to prepare correctly this time.#

I can not dance for you this time.

It is time for the other monkeys to dance. I've danced us all the way here.#

Nate's little mush head looks good up on that stage these days. Stuff him in front of the camera for it.#

He came in with no **** to do that last one. I'd already done press conferences, interviews and shot the ads before RDA pulled out.

Maybe I'll hit Cabo this time and skull some shots pre-fight with no obligation.

I'm doing what I need for me now.#

It is time to be selfish with my training again. It is the only way.#

I feel the $400million I have generated for the company in my last three events, all inside 8 months, is enough to get me this slight leeway.#

I am still ready to go for UFC 200.#

I will offer, like I already did, to fly to New York for the big press conference that was scheduled, and then I will go back into training. With no distractions.

If this is not enough or they feel I have not deserved to sit this promotion run out this one time, well then I don't know what to say.#

For the record also -#
For USADA and for the UFC and my contract stipulations -#
I AM NOT RETIRED.

https://m.facebook.com/thenotoriousm...60441947357435

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Drake For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2016, 09:23 AM   #618
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Oh that poor guy. I can't imagine not being able to dictate the terms of my job to my employer. And being asked to fulfill the requirements like everyone and not be granted special privileges? Ridiculous if I say so myself. I definitely can see what he's so chapped about.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 09:36 AM   #619
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Actually Connor, you are paid to promote, that's part of your fight contract. And like Chael Sonnen said yesterday, if he thinks he's getting back on that card he's fooling himself. They pulled him, they'll move on.
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2016, 10:05 AM   #620
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Signs contract, doesn't like obligations in contract, acts like a baby, gets reprimanded by employer.

Nothing to see here folks.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post: