Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-03-2020, 03:39 PM   #81
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Chara - 2M salary (1.75M potential in bonuses)
Thornton - 2M salary
Marleau - 0.7M salary
Hainsey - 3.5M salary
Williams - 0.7M salary (1.2M potential in bonuses)
Engelland - 0.7M salary (0.8M potential in bonuses)

I believe that's a complete list of players over 38 and what they make. Chara's 43, so he obviously had some decent years north of 38.

But Thornton is a 30 point forward. Marleau was worth a 3rd round pick at the deadline. Williams is done. Engelland and Hainsey have been healthy scratches this year. The chance that Giordano will not only be playing, but playing at a calibre of a 6.75M defenseman (his salary in his last year), is just so slim that I don't see him being protected. And less so him being taken.

At least Engelland was taken when the other exposed players were pretty much all busts like Klimchuk or whoever. With this upcoming draft, there should be some players worth more than a 38 year old on his last year of an expensive contract.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2020, 05:15 PM   #82
Lil Pedro
First Line Centre

Exp:

Is it crazy to think that if the Flames brought back Talbot for another year at the same cap hit, he could be a target for Seattle if he has a good year? I for one would love to have him back, he really stabilized the team when Rittich faltered.
Lil Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 05:24 PM   #83
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Pedro View Post
Is it crazy to think that if the Flames brought back Talbot for another year at the same cap hit, he could be a target for Seattle if he has a good year? I for one would love to have him back, he really stabilized the team when Rittich faltered.
I agree, I believed he could deliver, and he did. He has stated, though, that he wants to sign next with a team that will make him a starter (not sure if he will find one). I worry that he looked good this year because he playing for that next contract, and won't be able to deliver again.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 05:54 PM   #84
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
I can’t imagine Seattle taking Gio even if he’s available. A 38 year old D with one year left who’s the captain of the team he spent his whole career with? He’s as likely to retire as report.

I expect he’d be picked as he could easily be flipped for a 1st+ at the trade deadline.

Assuming,of course, he is still decent.

Gio is likely the perfect trade deadline acquisition.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 07:14 PM   #85
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

If we leave Gio exposed Seattle will take him. Or they will threaten to take him with an or else package. Look at what Vegas did in their first season? I could see Seattle hoping and expecting to be able to do that, and what better way to start a season off than with a Norris winning defenceman to lead the way.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 10:56 PM   #86
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, if Gio is worth a first rounder+ at expansion time, it makes sense for us to get the first rounder, the cap relief, and the extra protection spot and trade him ourselves.

We had joy, we had fun, we had a season in the sun, but the wine and the fun like the season is all gone.

Average team is average. Average drafts, average results, average trades, average asset management, average vision, average outcomes. Average.
McG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to McG For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2020, 11:38 PM   #87
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
At least Engelland was taken when the other exposed players were pretty much all busts like Klimchuk or whoever.
Brett Kulak was the other logical choice.
David Struch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 11:43 PM   #88
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Struch View Post
Brett Kulak was the other logical choice.
And honestly Engelland was a great choice for them for the two (3?) years they got out of a local boy. Hey isn't Lucic from Seattle....? Anyone know a good forger or at least wikipedia editor?
Old 07-04-2020, 12:47 AM   #89
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Vegas expansion draft was unique and unexpected. Engelland would have been UFA in a matter of days and was already gone from a Flames perspective. Hard to imagine we get so lucky again.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2020, 02:01 AM   #90
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
The Vegas expansion draft was unique and unexpected. Engelland would have been UFA in a matter of days and was already gone from a Flames perspective. Hard to imagine we get so lucky again.
If we trade Bennett and Kyllington before it happens, who's the biggest target?

Honestly, I feel like those are the only value other than signing free agents this year that bump our current players down.

Monahan
Gaudreau
Lindholm
Tkachuk
Backlund
Mangiapanne
Dube

Gio
Andersson
Hanifin

Someone asked before why trade Bennett and Kylington for picks if we have to give someone away, but who is left after those two?

Unless we sign Hall, then I see Eatbread/Backlund/maaaaybe Dube depending on how the next season plays out.
Old 07-04-2020, 09:47 AM   #91
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
If we trade Bennett and Kyllington before it happens, who's the biggest target?

Honestly, I feel like those are the only value other than signing free agents this year that bump our current players down.

Monahan
Gaudreau
Lindholm
Tkachuk
Backlund
Mangiapanne
Dube

Gio
Andersson
Hanifin

Someone asked before why trade Bennett and Kylington for picks if we have to give someone away, but who is left after those two?

Unless we sign Hall, then I see Eatbread/Backlund/maaaaybe Dube depending on how the next season plays out.
If there isn't a defenseman to replace Hamonic and Brodie the Flames will not have a reasonable chance for success.

Gio already has had a precipitous fall off. 17 goal 74 pts +39 .95 ppg down to 5 goals 31 pts +2 .52 ppg On the Flames Gio has the advantage of being clearly the best offensive d-man on the team as Hanifin and Anderssen at 22 pts each are not taking opportunity or pts away from Gio.

Not that it is a credible voting process where does Gio end up in this years Norris voting?

He went from 2nd to 44th in defenseman scoring. Alex Edler had 33 pts +13. Edler was not the Canucks top pt D-man as Hughes had 53 pts.

Edler is 2 years younger than Gio ... Do you expect that he will be protected by the Canucks in the expansion draft?

The great hope for the Flames is that Valimaki is at the level of Hughes, Makar, Fox or Dahlin. He hasn't shown much of that standard of play in his 24 NHL games and is coming off a major injury.

Maybe Hanifin had an off year.... but his play over the last year took away the idea that he was a lock on being a clear cut #1D for the next 4-5 years.

Last edited by ricardodw; 07-04-2020 at 09:55 AM.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ricardodw For This Useful Post: