Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-29-2020, 01:54 PM   #1
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:
Default AMC Cinemas Will No Longer Show Universal Pictures Movies

Universal pictures wants to release it's new movies on PVOD and in the theatres at the same time. This will only hurt the big theatres as more will choose to stay home and it on demand.

Is this the beginning of the end?

Quote:
Theaters traditionally require a 90-day window between a movie's cinematic release and digital download. Discussions of different launch agreements have failed in the past, but AMC is still willing to sit down with Universal to hash out a different plan. In the meantime, Aron is sticking to his guns, discontinuing Universal movies in the US, Europe, and the Middle East. "It is disappointing to us," he said, "but Jeff's comments as to Universal's unilateral actions and intentions have left us with no choice."
Quote:
"We want to be absolutely clear, so that there is no ambiguity of any kind," the memo, addressed to studio chairperson Donna Langley, continued. "AMC believes that with this proposed action to go to the home and theaters simultaneously, Universal is breaking the business model and dealings between our two companies. It assumes that we will meekly accept a reshaped view of how studios and exhibitors should interact, with zero concern on Universal's part as to how its actions affect us."
Quote:
"The results for Trolls World Tour have exceeded our expectations and demonstrated the viability of PVOD," NBCUniversal CEO Jeff Shell told The Wall Street Journal this week. "As soon as theaters reopen, we expect to release movies on both formats." That comment was not received well at AMC Entertainment, where CEO Adam Aron announced in a scathing letter to Universal Studios that, moving forward, AMC will no longer license Universal movies in any of its 1,000 theaters globally.
Old 06-29-2020, 02:01 PM   #2
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Kind of reminds me of the war that record companies declared on file sharing. This probably goes bad for AMC fairly quickly.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2020, 02:05 PM   #3
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Theatres are going to find themselves without customers in the near future. As big tv's get bigger and cheaper people have fewer reasons to go to pay more for a miserable experience. The biggest disadvantage I have found is the wait time, but I have patience for that. And if that part disappears, well, why go to a theatre?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2020, 02:10 PM   #4
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Theatres are going to find themselves without customers in the near future. As big tv's get bigger and cheaper people have fewer reasons to go to pay more for a miserable experience. The biggest disadvantage I have found is the wait time, but I have patience for that. And if that part disappears, well, why go to a theatre?
Theatres are going to have to find a way to adjust to the new model of business. People will always go but a greatly decreased numbers making the current business model for theatres not financially viable.
Old 06-29-2020, 02:12 PM   #5
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
Kind of reminds me of the war that record companies declared on file sharing. This probably goes bad for AMC fairly quickly.
Yes, but luckily in AMC's favor, one of the major drivers in this space is box office take, which in turn drives more demand, which drives bigger take, etc, etc.

If you're cutting out a giant piece of the US market and box office, Universal pictures are going to appear lackluster compared to peers and potentially perform worse even in the theaters they're still showing in.

Movies are a crazy business where hype and first weekend performance is make or break.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 02:17 PM   #6
Pizza
Poster

Exp:

There's no doubt that better home theatre experiences will eat away at the middle aged demographics but "dinner and a movie" is still the go to date idea. It'll still have a hook on the younger audiences looking to find something to do
Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 02:27 PM   #7
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

I still get a much better experience from being in a theatre, and will continue to see certain movies in the threatres regardless of availability at home. Although kids these days seem to think they have the right to talk through a movie, like its their living room.

Another benefit of the theatres is that I am far more focused too as it keeps me from all the distractions: phone, girlfriend, kitchen, etc..
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2020, 02:32 PM   #8
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

As great as home theatres are, seeing a movie in a theatre is just a much better experience and a better product. No one has remotely the capabilities to reproduce the theater experience at home. Seeing a film like Aquaman on IMAX was such a treat and while I do still enjoy the film at home it doesn't compare to seeing it on the IMAX big screen. Add in the shared experience when you go to a theatre, sometimes when you go and have a great crowd watching a film it enhances the experience. I still remember walking out of The Dark Knight opening weekend and the buzz in the air as everyone in the theatre knew they witnessed something special or watching End Game last year and the cheers and gasps as that movie ended. This isn't Blockbuster vs Netflix as they were essentially selling the same product. But what do I know , maybe I'm out of touch and people prefer convenience to the best product, most people stream movies rather than watching them on Blu Ray or 4K.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 02:40 PM   #9
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
As great as home theatres are, seeing a movie in a theatre is just a much better experience and a better product. No one has remotely the capabilities to reproduce the theater experience at home. Seeing a film like Aquaman on IMAX was such a treat and while I do still enjoy the film at home it doesn't compare to seeing it on the IMAX big screen. Add in the shared experience when you go to a theatre, sometimes when you go and have a great crowd watching a film it enhances the experience. I still remember walking out of The Dark Knight opening weekend and the buzz in the air as everyone in the theatre knew they witnessed something special or watching End Game last year and the cheers and gasps as that movie ended. This isn't Blockbuster vs Netflix as they were essentially selling the same product. But what do I know , maybe I'm out of touch and people prefer convenience to the best product, most people stream movies rather than watching them on Blu Ray or 4K.
Ithink you are a little out of touch. Most people in life are happy with "good enough". If you have an 80" screen at home with a sound bar and sub, that's good enough. I have a 96" screen and 5.1 sound, and I honestly don't care that a theatre is a little better than my setup. They usually have the volume to loud anyway.

I don't find the rest of the "experience" to be a net positive at all. Lines, no pausing for bathroom or snack breaks, bombardments of commercials, the other patrons with phones, talking, kicking seats, eating popcorn out of their hats, no booze, expensive, mystery seat goo...ugh, it's just so aweful. I'd much rather be at home.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2020, 03:04 PM   #10
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't get me wrong I love watching movies at home and it's great and wonderful but for me personally nothing beats going to a theatre opening weekend to watch a film I have been dying to see. The anticipation and excitement knowing your seeing a film that few people have seen before it goes out into the eather. You know for the next 2hrs your attention is dedicated to that film. You don't check your phone or suddenly do laundry or pause it for a snack, you just sit back and watch it.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nadal Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2020, 03:09 PM   #11
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess I'm just to old to get excited like that anymore! I'll watch it when I watch ti. I don't really have a need to be first at anything.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2020, 03:15 PM   #12
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Ithink you are a little out of touch. Most people in life are happy with "good enough". If you have an 80" screen at home with a sound bar and sub, that's good enough. I have a 96" screen and 5.1 sound, and I honestly don't care that a theatre is a little better than my setup. They usually have the volume to loud anyway.

I don't find the rest of the "experience" to be a net positive at all. Lines, no pausing for bathroom or snack breaks, bombardments of commercials, the other patrons with phones, talking, kicking seats, eating popcorn out of their hats, no booze, expensive, mystery seat goo...ugh, it's just so aweful. I'd much rather be at home.
Ditto. My home theater setup isnt even all that great but I'll take it over a theater pretty much any day.

I dont mind going to the theaters with the nice chairs, assigned seating, etc. but so much of it is an annoyance that the benefits rapidly get drowned out.

Anyways, I'm likely not their target demographic so losing my measly few bucks a year isnt going to change anything.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 10:49 PM   #13
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
There's no doubt that better home theatre experiences will eat away at the middle aged demographics but "dinner and a movie" is still the go to date idea. It'll still have a hook on the younger audiences looking to find something to do
Yep and I can do it for $15 by cooking and watching a moving on my 120” home theatre screen. While not everyone has the same I can’t take someone serious who spends $100 on dinner and movie night.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 10:52 PM   #14
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
It’s not 2003 anymore.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 07:02 AM   #15
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Well maybe this will cause theaters to move away from the cookie cutter warehouses that they morphed into and make them a destination in and of themselves like they used to be.

Beautiful architecture, inviting canteen, warm colors. Black and dark just takes away from the experience.

Then again maybe they're moving that way, I can't remember the last movie I saw in theaters.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2020, 07:06 AM   #16
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think at minimum, the huge 16 screen multiplexes will get scaled down. Smaller, one or two screen venues in strategic locations, like, say, the Beltline, Kensington, Bridgeland etc, might be a good way to go. The Plaza and The Globe have managed to make it work.
Old 06-30-2020, 08:34 AM   #17
skudr248
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
Dinner and a movie is still a date idea? Maybe for old people.
skudr248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 08:56 AM   #18
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

This could go a couple of ways. It could either cause a rejuvenation of B movies and smaller studio pictures which are willing to open exclusively on the big screen.

Or we will eventually only get the latest Avatar and Star Wars movie released to home video,and the big studios will stop caring about anything else.
Old 06-30-2020, 09:04 AM   #19
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by skudr248 View Post
Dinner and a movie is still a date idea? Maybe for old people.
Dinner and a movie for old people? What do young couples do? Frozen pizza and Netflix?
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 09:50 AM   #20
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Dinner and a movie for old people? What do young couples do? Frozen pizza and Netflix?
Netflix and Chill.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post: