Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Leagues and Games > Calgarypuck Hockey League
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2020, 05:02 PM   #21
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I don’t see any reason for you to lose your picks and would expect most GMs to echo the same.

I actually think you made Scorp’s day. He was looking to get into the drafting action, by trying to make deals, and thanks to you was able to do that.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to agulati For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2020, 05:04 PM   #22
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yep keep the picks, It was a fun event that went really quick

By far the best draft I have attended

(yes I have attended a crap load of them)
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to flambers For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2020, 06:03 PM   #23
savardandjokinen
son of looooob

Exp:

Oilers draft recap

No picks but showed up well prepared having just woke up and having messy bed hair
savardandjokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to savardandjokinen For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2020, 09:29 AM   #24
Goffie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Habs 2020 Entry Draft

The Montreal Canadiens held their 1st entry draft since GM Goffie took the helm. Looking to make a splash the Habs made a blockbuster trade to acquire the #1 pick.

Here is a complete recap of the picks.

Round 1
1st overall Alexis Lafreniere - it was to the surprise of nobody that Alexis Lafreniere was the first name called. After watching him step up the World Juniors I knew he was a player I wanted on my team. I feel strongly that we got a star player with this pick.

8th overall. Alexander Holtz - this was the pick we thought we were going to be making in this spot and we were happy that Holtz was here for us. I was hopeful that it would be Holtz or Rossi available and it turned out well. I think Holtz will be a great physical scorer in the NHL and he seems closer physically than a lot of the other top prospects in the draft.

Round 2

35th Lukas Reichel - we were happy to see Reichel slip to us here. He seems to be a late riser on the draft boards and is a potential 1st round pick in the NHL. I thought CPHL legend Bob Reichel was his father but it turns out he is actually his uncle. Hopefully Lucas can have just as legendary of a CPHL impact.

53rd Dylan Peterson - it was a tough call between Peterson and Colangelo here. I like Peterson’s skill set and size and I have a feeling he will likely develop into a solid middle 6 NHL player.

Round 3

60th Emil Heineman - I could have waited and got this player later. I really like him and took a gamble earlier than i needed to because usually when I have a guy like this another team steps up and grabs them right before I can. He is one of the most under-scouted players in the draft and really started to diminished as the season went on. There were a lot of good players left here so I could regret this.

62 Brock Faber - one of the top D on the USA development squad. He doesn’t stand out in any one area besides his great skating. However he is solid and reliable and can do everything well.

63 Jack Finley - size, grit and defensive play. That’s what stands out with Finley. He has great bloodlines as his father Jeff played a long NHL career. If he can polish his offensive game he can be a gem.

68 Joni Jurmo - Boom or Bust defensive prospect. He has potential to be an impact player but he really needs to improve his Consistency.

75 Eamon Powell- Jake Sanderson’s defensive partner. He is very efficient and plays a smart effective game. Hopefully it can translate to an NHL game.

4th Round

87 Ryan Francis
89 Tyler Tullio

5th Round
128 Jackson Hallum
132 Grant Slukynsky

This draft was the smoothest yet. Zoom was great. GMs were prepared.

Over all we are happy with the draft. We got a potential superstar winger that is ready to be step into our lineup within a couple seasons.

We also feel that Holtz is close to being an NHLer and could be in our lineup sooner rather than later.

With our later picks I balanced picking boom/bust prospects with safer picks. We looked for players that had an one elite part of their game to see if the rest of their development can catch up to that attribute. We also wanted to take a few guys that were solid everywhere but not great in anyone area. I find that sometimes these players get overlooked and end up having the longest careers.

My favourite part is always seeing where and when the CPHL drafted prospects land. This year it will be a much longer wait.

Goffie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Goffie For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2020, 09:38 AM   #25
Swayze11
something else haha

Exp:

Can you imagine if the NHL Habs actually get Lafreniere. We should probably make a check in thread for Goffie to make sure he is okay on a daily basis

Swayze11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Swayze11 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2020, 11:45 AM   #26
Don't Toews Me Bro
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Van had 4 2nd rounders this draft and ended up with:

32: Shakir Mukhamadulin
43: Luke Evangelista
50: Tyler Kleven
54: Sam Colangelo

Had a couple guys I was targeting that I just missed out on by a couple picks which always stings but overall think we got a decent haul.
Don't Toews Me Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Don't Toews Me Bro For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2020, 05:45 PM   #27
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bump
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2020, 10:56 AM   #28
Don't Toews Me Bro
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Since my draft picks are all gone already, quick re-cap:

CPHL Draft: --> NHL Draft
32: Shakir Mukhamadulin --> 20th OV (+12 spots)
43: Luke Evangelista --> 42nd OV (+1 spot)
50: Tyler Kleven --> 44th OV (+6 spots)
54: Sam Colangelo --> 36th OV (+18 spots)

Overall this is my first draft where all my picks ended up with a positive difference. I thought I might have reached a bit for Mukhamadulin in our draft but surprised he got taken at 20th. Colangelo is my biggest riser he dropped a lot in our draft.
Don't Toews Me Bro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Don't Toews Me Bro For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2020, 09:23 PM   #29
Tilley
Retired Aksarben Correspondent

Exp:

With the NHL draft now completed, it provides the opportunity to compare my selections in the CPHL draft to NHL draft results.

Mercer (CPHL: 13, NHL: 18, Difference: -5): Still like the pick although he slipped a bit.

Weisblatt (CPHL: 41, NHL: 31, Diff: +10): Happy to see Ozzy selected in the first round.

Pytlik (CPHL: 77, NHL: 99, Diff: -22): Slipped by a fair margin as more picks went away from conventional prospect rankings.

Bednar (CPHL: 91, NHL: 107, Diff: -16): Hoped that he would have gone a bit earlier, but not too disappointed.

Vierling (CPHL: 97, NHL: 127, Diff: -30): About a round off between CPHL and NHL. Craig Button lied to me. We'll see if you becomes a legit prospect.

Ellis (CPHL: 125, NHL: 184, Diff: -59): Just happy he got drafted. A shot in the dark.

Bantle (CPHL: 133, NHL: 142, Diff: -9): Not a huge difference. Picked him due to size and potential.

Also, Alex Cotton (signed as a UFA) was selected 132. Thought he would go earlier, but should get an opportunity in Detroit sooner rather than later.

Despite most of my picks being taken later than I selected, I'm still optimistic about the Hawks draft. My early picks (Mercer & Weisblatt) should be NHLers at some point and hoping that one of the later picks hit to provide depth.
Tilley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tilley For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2020, 09:34 PM   #30
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Both guys I picked for the Islanders went undrafted, even James Hardie who definitely should've gone somewhere.

My picks for Florida

34 - Jean-Luc Foudy: 75th overall in the NHL to Colorado. Surprisingly low but in a very good developmental system with Sakic.

52 - Daemon Hunt: 65th overall in the NHL to Minnesota. Pretty close.

56 - Vasily Ponomarev: 53rd overall in the NHL to Carolina. Another one close to bang-on.

69 - Antonio Stranges: 123rd overall in the NHL to Dallas. Not surprised by this, I knew Stranges was a bit of a reach when I picked him but I wanted to make sure Florida got him. Figured he'd go higher in fantasy drafts than in the real thing.

71 - Eemil Viro: 70th overall in the NHL to Detroit. Basically bang-on.

84 - Zayde Wisdom: 94th overall in the NHL to Philly. Pretty close.

99 - Ronan Seeley: 208th overall in the NHL to Carolina. Surprised he went this low.

127 - Charles Beaudoin: Undrafted, unfortunately. Sorry Matt.

Overall I think I did okay. Still think I got some quality pieces for Florida to play with.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2020, 10:06 PM   #31
3thirty
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

#17- Dylan Holloway - 14th +3 But now has Oilers stink, yuck!

#20- Kaiden Guhle - 16th +4 Should look good on the Habs.
Incoming PM from a GM soon I'm sure

#21- Noel Gunler - 41st -20 Cheese's problem now.

#22 - JJ Peterka - 34th -12 But good opportunity with the Sabres.

#31 - Thomas Bordeleau - 38th -7 Sharks took him, might simmer in the minors for a while.
3thirty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 3thirty For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2020, 05:46 AM   #32
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

3 Tim Stutzle – Drafted 3 even

9 Jack Quinn – Drafted 8 +1

12 Jake Sanderson – Drafted 5 +7

15 Hendrix Lapierre – Drafted 22 -7

18 Mavrik Bourque – Drafted 30 -12

23. Braden Schneider.- Drafted 19 +4

25. Brendan Brisson- Drafted 29 -4

30. William Wallinder – Drafted 32 -2

36. Ridley Greig – Drafted 28 +8

61 Emil Andrae – Drafted 54 +7

82. Connor McClennon – Drafted 178 -96

83. Joel Blomqvist – Drafted 52 +31

107. Oliver Okuliar – not drafted

108C - Ryder Rolston – Drafted 139 -31

117 - Oskar Magnusson – Drafted 211 -94

129 - Pavel Tyutnev – not drafted

Overall really happy with the way it shook out, 8 NHL 1st rounders, 7 CPHL, a few of my late picks did well and had only 2 of 16 not get drafted.
I also picked up Riechel and Gunler in Trades, so added another first rounder to the mix.

Last edited by Cheese; 10-08-2020 at 05:51 AM.
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2020, 08:33 AM   #33
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

A real mixed bag for me.

Byfield: CPHL #2, NHL #2 (thought the Kings would actually take Stutzle)

Rossi: CPHL #8, NHL #9 (-1): About right though I really think the Sens f'd up their pick and should have walked out the draft with a Stutzle/Rossi 1-2 punch

Askarov: CPHL #10, NHL #11 (-1): I thought he'd go to the Canes at #13, though the Preds taking him makes sense

Amirov: CPHL #19, NHL #15 (+4): About right

Perrault: CPHL #26, NHL #27 (-1): About right

Poirier: CPHL #27, NHL #72 (-45): Huge drop! Which honestly was not surprising to me. I drafted this guy knowing he would drop at least to the 2nd, but I think he has elite skills in some areas. I was happy to see the Flames grab him. He will be a fun prospect to track going forward.

Mysak: CPHL #33, NHL #48 (-15): Bit of a drop but still in the 2nd and the right type of team for him with the Habs who seem to give skilled guys a shot.

Khushutdinov: CPHL #44, NHL #37 (+7): A slight move up. Thought he might squeak into the first. Very high on this guy

Nybeck: CPHL #46, #115: HUGE drop. Though not surprised as I even wrote in my re-cap that he could drop to the 3rd. Surprised he was there in the 4th, but I think the Canes are a good fit for him. I'll hang on to this guy as I still believe in him

Carter Savoie: CPHL #80, NHL #100 (-20): Eeeeeew Oiler stink!

Those are the main guys. A number of my late guys didn't go at all. The goalie I drafted move up a touch.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2020, 09:31 AM   #34
Goffie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Habs Draft Recap:

Alexis Lafreniere: CPHL 1 – NHL 1 - SHOCKER

Alexander Holtz: CPHL 8 – NHL 7 (+1) - I expected him to go in the 7-9 range so no shocker here.

Lukas Reichel: CPHL 35 – NHL 17 (+18) – Was happy at the time of the draft and I figured this kid was a top 20 talent. Too bad Cheese wrestled him from me

Dylan Peterson: CPHL 53 – NHL 86 (-33) – Surprised to see him slip to late third. I saw him in the mid 2nd-early 3rd range. I read today that he dropped due to his line having to play a more defensive role this past season. He is all Cheese now.

Emil Heineman: CPHL 60 – NHL 43 (+17) – Emil was my dark horse of the draft. I feel I could have gotten him later but I had a feeling he would rise in the NHL draft. I am glad I took him when I did. He was one of the real off the board reactions of the Zoom call.

Brock Faber: CPHL 62 – NHL 45 (+17) – I am happy with how this pick played out. Once I listened to the Kings talk about how high there are on this kid it gave me hope that he can develop into a solid NHLer.

Jack Finley: CPHL 63 – NHL 57 (+6) – This was right about where I thought he would go.
Joni Jurmo: CPHL 68 - NHL 82 (-14) – Still taken in the range that I expected for a boom/bust type.

Eamon Powell: CPHL 75 – NHL 116 (-41) – Slipped out of the range I grabbed him. Most likely due to his boring style. He does everything well, nothing great.

Ryan Francis: CPHL 87 – NHL 143 (-56) – Biggest dropper of the day, but happy he went to the Flames. High skilled kid with size being the only real knock on him.

Tyler Tullio: CPHL 89 - NHL 116 (-27) – Went in the range I expected him too and to the Oilers so he will be loved in the CPHL.

Jackson Hallum CPHL 128 – NHL 91 (+37) – Went late 3rd so a little bit of a rise on where I got him.

Grant Slukynsky CPHL 132 – NHL Undrafted – My last pick of the day and the only person to go undrafted.

Goffie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Goffie For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2020, 01:09 PM   #35
Hanna Sniper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jamie Drysdale: CPHL #4, NHL #6 (-2) - I wanted Drysdale to go to Detroitand was disappointed to see they didn't pick him, I was ecstatic that Ottawa passed on him though> I didn't want that franchise absolutely destroying my best prospect. Sucks to see him go to Anaheim and the Flames needing to play him so much but with Buffalo on deck Anaheim was the best possible place for him. I think Drysdale will be a stud, they only thing that prevented Drysdale from being picked in the top 3 was his size as he might be the best player in the OHL not names Wright

Connor Zary: CPHL #16, NHL #24 (-8) - I really wanted the Flames to draft Zary at 19, it was between him and Foerster but I knew the Flames wouldn't draft Foerster that high. When 22 rolled around I wanted the Flames to pick Foerster and was pissed off when they didn't. Was happy to see Zary go to the Falems at 24 but I honestly think Foerster was Calgary's No.1 target from the start

Tyson Foerster: CPHL #x29, NHL #23 (+6) - I wanted Foerster to be a Flame

Notables
Jake Neighbours: CPHL #38, NHL #26 (+12)
Ty Smilanic: CPHL #40, NHL #74 (-34)
Luke Tuch: CPHL #48, NHL #47 (+1)
Ryan O'Rourke: CPHL #49, NHL #x39 (+10)
Justin Sourdif: CPHL #51, NHL #87 (-36)
Lukas Cormier: CPHL #55, NHL #68 (-13)
Tristen Robins: CPHL #79, NHL #56 (+23)

Big Risers
Luke Prokop: CPHL #118, NHL #73 (+45)
Cross Hanas: CPHL #90, NHL #55 (+41)

Big Drops
Brett Berard: CPHL #76, NHL #134 (-58)
William Villeneuve: CPHL #81, NHL #122 (-41)

Hurricanes had a few other players drafted with late picks and such, plus had a total of 5 players not selected by NHL teams
Old 10-08-2020, 01:39 PM   #36
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

#59 - Roby Jarventie - Ottawa #33 (+26)

#65 - Yan Kuznetsov - Calgary #50 (+15)

#73 - Dmitri Zlodeyev - Vancouver #175 (-102)

#78 - Alex Pashin - Carolina #199 (-122)

#93 - Jacob Truscott - Vancouver #144 (-51)

#101 - Colby Ambrosio - Colorado #118 (-17)

I'm pretty ok with where things shook out. The first two and the last two come as advertised, and Jarventie being a surprise pick in my favour. Kuznetsov a Flame, which is a bonus. Two Vancouver players though, making me barf all over my desk. Pashin is one of the biggest fallers in the draft, and went to one of the two teams that scored on every pick (Carolina and Minnesota).

I still like all them and will await their D+1.
Old 10-08-2020, 11:39 PM   #37
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Both guys I picked for the Islanders went undrafted, even James Hardie who definitely should've gone somewhere.

My picks for Florida

34 - Jean-Luc Foudy: 75th overall in the NHL to Colorado. Surprisingly low but in a very good developmental system with Sakic.

52 - Daemon Hunt: 65th overall in the NHL to Minnesota. Pretty close.

56 - Vasily Ponomarev: 53rd overall in the NHL to Carolina. Another one close to bang-on.

69 - Antonio Stranges: 123rd overall in the NHL to Dallas. Not surprised by this, I knew Stranges was a bit of a reach when I picked him but I wanted to make sure Florida got him. Figured he'd go higher in fantasy drafts than in the real thing.

71 - Eemil Viro: 70th overall in the NHL to Detroit. Basically bang-on.

84 - Zayde Wisdom: 94th overall in the NHL to Philly. Pretty close.

99 - Ronan Seeley: 208th overall in the NHL to Carolina. Surprised he went this low.

127 - Charles Beaudoin: Undrafted, unfortunately. Sorry Matt.

Overall I think I did okay. Still think I got some quality pieces for Florida to play with.
Here's what my picks would have been based off the draft. Not cherry picking, just what would they would have been.

Marat Khusnutdinov
Emil Andrae
Daniil Gushchin
Brett Berard
Calle Clang
Zayde Wilson (oddly, we were on the same page there)
Thimo Nickl
5th rounder would have been a goalie. I had three I was looking at at the time
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Caged Great For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2020, 12:07 AM   #38
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I'm excited to see how our respective choices pan out down the road

I considered Khusnutdinov over Foudy. Ultimately I thought Foudy was a bit of a safer pick and I thought Khusnutdinov would really drop. Then the opposite happened... funny how that works

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 06:48 AM   #39
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Coyotes

Overall, i am happy with the results. My 5th rounder, 3rd last selection in the draft. Ended up a 2nd round NHL selection.

Rory Kerins is a Flames prospect and is available.....

CPHL draft # 64 - Brandon Coe (NHL draft 4th round #98)
CPHL draft #102 - Landon Slaggert (NHL 3rd round #79)
CPHL draft # 110. - Chris Sedoff (Not drafted)
CPHL draft # 126. - Rory Kerins (NHL 6th round # 174) -- Flames prospect
CPHL draft # 138. - Gage Goncalves (NHL 2nd round #62)
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flambers For This Useful Post: