Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-29-2020, 12:26 PM   #21
flamingred89
Franchise Player

Exp:

...who can't play defense and misses 10-12 games due to the mcflu. But boy can he skate fast.
Old 05-29-2020, 05:36 PM   #22
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingred89 View Post
...who can't play defense and misses 10-12 games due to the mcflu. But boy can he skate fast.
And the crossovers. And boy does he have the sweat suit and good shoes look down.

We had joy, we had fun, we had a season in the sun, but the wine and the fun like the season is all gone.

Average team is average. Average drafts, average results, average trades, average asset management, average vision, average outcomes. Average.
Old 05-30-2020, 01:20 PM   #23
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

I just had to follow this guy once I read his bio:

Spoiler!
Old 05-30-2020, 01:36 PM   #24
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
lol what a ####ing joke...Oilers weren't a top four team, PERIOD
They're about a 10th-12th place team with super duper historically unsustainable level special teams.

That in itself is sad given the edge that such conversion rates should give you.

They're a 20th> place team when the special teams fall back to earth, as they're still just as mediocre at even strength in a "good" season.

Summed up: they are who you thought they were.
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2020, 01:23 PM   #25
Dan02
Franchise Player

Exp:

You know what's funny, the NHL has determined that only the teams that make the round of 16 will be considered to have made the playoffs.

So when the Oilers lose to the Blackhawks, they'll have missed the playoffs yet again.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Dan02 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2020, 03:40 PM   #26
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan02 View Post
You know what's funny, the NHL has determined that only the teams that make the round of 16 will be considered to have made the playoffs.

So when the Oilers lose to the Blackhawks, they'll have missed the playoffs yet again.
Oh boy, that would be amazing.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2020, 04:14 PM   #27
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan02 View Post

Fingers crossed.

If the Hawks pull that off, I am buying a Patrick Kane jersey.
Old 06-01-2020, 05:47 PM   #28
gt4flames
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverflamefan View Post
fingers crossed.

If the hawks pull that off, i am buying a patrick kane jersey.
cp group buy!
The Following User Says Thank You to gt4flames For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2020, 06:50 PM   #29
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I keep going back to how truly awful they were playing leading up to the postponement of the season. They looked like an AHL with a unsustainable powerplay.

I still think that their lack of depth, will catch up to them in a series against the same team nigh after night.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Old 06-02-2020, 08:55 AM   #30
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

The wild card will be their goaltending. Admittedly they had better net minding last season than I expected. It will be interesting to see what becomes of that when last season 2.0 starts up again.
Old 06-02-2020, 10:46 AM   #31
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

They got a historical bump in Koskinen as a 31 year old. Mike Smith had a small bump up from a really bad year in Calgary going from a .898 to .902 svpct, but his gaa went from 2.72 in Calgary to 2.95 which shows how bad the Oilers were in front of them.

Having two 30+ year old goaltenders sitting on their butts for nearly three months might not be great.

Old 06-02-2020, 10:47 AM   #32
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

To me goal tending will be the whole story. It is well known that Cup champions almost always have a red hot goalie.
Old 06-02-2020, 04:40 PM   #33
Mean Mr. Mustard
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
They got a historical bump in Koskinen as a 31 year old. Mike Smith had a small bump up from a really bad year in Calgary going from a .898 to .902 svpct, but his gaa went from 2.72 in Calgary to 2.95 which shows how bad the Oilers were in front of them.

Having two 30+ year old goaltenders sitting on their butts for nearly three months might not be great.
I would think that a long break benefits the older goaltenders more as it gives their body a chance to rest and recover, something that a younger goaltender wouldn't need as much time to do.
Old 06-02-2020, 04:45 PM   #34
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
I would think that a long break benefits the older goaltenders more as it gives their body a chance to rest and recover, something that a younger goaltender wouldn't need as much time to do.

Goaltending is all about rhythm a goaltender goes on a hot streak because they're just feeling it.

Sometimes when you take a goalie away from playing it takes a while to get back into train, especially when your older.

In a short series that can be the end.

Old 06-02-2020, 05:10 PM   #35
Mean Mr. Mustard
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe, I think that this is such an unusual situation that it would be possible for any number of scenarios to be present. I think that realistically all goaltenders (especially those who didn't practice on ice in Europe) to be rusty and that age won't make that big of a difference.
Old 06-02-2020, 05:29 PM   #36
schteve_d
First Line Centre

Exp:

So, I have two outstanding bets with an Oiler fan buddy. $100 that the Flames would finish higher in the standings than the Oilers at the end of the season and $100 that the Oilers would not make the playoffs.

He is now demanding that I pay up the $100 for the Oilers having finished ahead of the Flames when the season was called. I kind of think that, while a very Oiler way to win, it's BS. I know that were our roles reversed I would never try and collect on it if the season ended the same way. It's only a hundred bucks, but it's the principle of it.

What are the thoughts here? Should I pay up?
Old 06-02-2020, 05:41 PM   #37
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by schteve_d View Post
So, I have two outstanding bets with an Oiler fan buddy. $100 that the Flames would finish higher in the standings than the Oilers at the end of the season and $100 that the Oilers would not make the playoffs.

He is now demanding that I pay up the $100 for the Oilers having finished ahead of the Flames when the season was called. I kind of think that, while a very Oiler way to win, it's BS. I know that were our roles reversed I would never try and collect on it if the season ended the same way. It's only a hundred bucks, but it's the principle of it.

'fraid so. Its a technicality but if you dont the guy is going to be all over you forever. The money just isnt worth it.

It'll probably wash once the Oilers lose out and dont make the playoffs.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2020, 06:43 PM   #38
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don’t know. The NHL said the qualification round doesn’t count as the playoffs so if the Flames win and are in and the Oilers lose and are out the Flames finished higher in the standings.
Old 06-02-2020, 06:46 PM   #39
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

Get new friends haha

In all seriousness, I have an oiler friend I bet with each year. Winner picks up the bar tab once each year if their team finished higher. We called it off this year because there is no way to be sure.

One thing's for sure though, your friend should definately be in favor of the flames getting the Oilers 2020 3rd for neal. Anything else would be hypocritical.
Old 06-02-2020, 09:18 PM   #40
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:

Go for a nice long run when its hot. When you get home, take the 100 dollar bill and push it smugly between your but cheeks. Take video of your self doing it. Take 100 dollar bill and place in a plastic bag and mail it to him. Maybe forget to drop it in the box for a couple of days. Let that bad boy marinate, works best if you leave it in the sun.

mail it. When he receives it and calls you to gloat, send him a video of the swass bath that you gave that bill

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread