Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-01-2020, 09:16 PM   #2221
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
That was a great move by Royce, Riot sold the hell out it too.

AEW was okay tonight. They really need to work on their spot management in tag team matches though.

Again tonight they had moments in the tag matches where people are waiting for a spot and makes the whole thing look awkward and just poorly planned.

Yeah, they had good moments in AEW. But a couple of things that I really noticed.

Tony Schivanie needs to go, Jericho spent the whole night feeding him lines and opportunity and Tony wouldn't do anything with it.

Shida vs Penelope was just weird. You talked about it, but there were moments when Penelope went for that spring board stunner thing and Shida just stood there staring at her like a big idiot. The spot with Shida and Sabin with the Kendo stick just looked so fracking stupid and phony. I was surprised that Ford's been around for 6 years, because she wrestles with a lot of uncertainty and hesitation. Shida is one of the rare Japanese woman who's striking and kicking offense looks soft and with zero impact.

Cody defeats Hager - I liked this match from an execution standpoint. But the problem is that Hager is just lacking any kind of charisma and Cody is so vanilla white bread in the ring. But they had several really good sequences. Also and maybe its me, but when you have a group of your wrestlers or employers in the audience chanting "This is awful". Its just as bad as having the clap and boo light up signs that WCW used on Saturday night. And they tried to do the this is awesome chant during every match.

They're starting to tease the breakup of Omega and Hangman. But the pull apart afterwords with FTR over the poured out beer seemed to be silly and stupid. I don't know what they're doing with FTR booking wise, but honestly they're no better then they were in WWE.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 11:15 PM   #2222
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

FTR fell into the same trap as all the other new introductions - force fed into a stable storyline that makes no sense.

Why are they teaming with the Young Bucks? Why do they appear to be getting involved in some type of elite break up storyline?
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 12:27 AM   #2223
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I really just can't get into AEW anymore, I really don't see the appeal that has so many in love with it. Don't get me wrong, I'm not calling it bad, it's just not good enough for me to make sure I watch it every week and when I do get up to catching up and watching 2-3 episodes of Dynamite, it's while I do other things.

That said, I used to watch all WWE shows within 24 hours of them airing, but I have been waiting 2-3 days to watch those quite often too. Maybe it's just apathy from being tired of sitting around having very little of a life and the depression that has come with world events of 2020.

But even before all of that, I was usually 1-2 weeks behind on AEW.

With the possibility of some big Impact signings, I have been thinking about giving it a try again too. I tried a while back but couldn't get into it, but who knows this time around.
Crown Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 08:34 AM   #2224
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

That MJF/Wardlow/Jurassic Express match last night was awesome! MJF is the future of that company... he killed it on the mic last night too, as per usual.

One thing I really miss in WWE right now is Talking Smack.... when they did that after Smackdown a couple years ago, it gave guys a platform to elevate their characters. It was so good. That Miz / Daniel Bryan feud that eminated from that show really helped elevate both guys.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2020, 12:29 PM   #2225
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
That MJF/Wardlow/Jurassic Express match last night was awesome! MJF is the future of that company... he killed it on the mic last night too, as per usual.

One thing I really miss in WWE right now is Talking Smack.... when they did that after Smackdown a couple years ago, it gave guys a platform to elevate their characters. It was so good. That Miz / Daniel Bryan feud that eminated from that show really helped elevate both guys.
They've brought back Raw Talk and have Charly and Samoa Joe doing it
Old 07-02-2020, 01:14 PM   #2226
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Royal View Post
They've brought back Raw Talk and have Charly and Samoa Joe doing it
Sweet! I don't watch RAW anymore, but maybe I should.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 01:48 PM   #2227
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

One thing aew is doing is slow rolling this cody heel turn, have to wait until crowds are back to pull it off, but its gonna hit when it does

Guessing they do it by him giving himself a title match, or turning on mox/omega at some point
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 03:58 PM   #2228
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

NXT finished ahead of AEW for the second week in a row.

Both had decent increases though which is a positive.

I was extremely happy to see Tegan Nox with the number one contenders match, if anyone deserves a title shot its her. I thought she was done after that second knee injury.

Old 07-03-2020, 12:52 AM   #2229
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post

I was extremely happy to see Tegan Nox with the number one contenders match, if anyone deserves a title shot its her. I thought she was done after that second knee injury.

She was the last person I expected to win that match. I am happy for her though.
Old 07-03-2020, 09:39 AM   #2230
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Kairi Sane retiring and returning to Japan.

https://www.wrestlinginc.com/news/20...medium=twitter

Old 07-03-2020, 10:02 AM   #2231
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Good. WWE wasn't using her correctly anyways, she already reached the top of the NXT women's division (the one that counts), and was basically taking injurious bumps from Nia.

Her husband is part of Los Ingobernables in NJPW and one of the best talents in the world. With Bushido Road owning both Stardom and NJPW, I can see Kairi's final wrestling days happening in both rings. I fully expect her to be at Wrestle Kingdom next year and then calling it a career.

Fantastic talent and one of the best elbow drops in the business.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2020, 10:17 AM   #2232
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post

Should be noted though that AEW did much better with the 18-49 demo than NXT, which is the number advertisers and networks are most concerned with.

I enjoyed Fyter Fest for the most part. Cody/Hager was what it was. I will say that for as much as he's a pretty bland wrestler, Cody makes up for it in terms of in-ring storytelling and psychology.

I thought Shida/Ford was pretty good and big step forward for the women's division.

MJF/Wardlow vs. JE was good but I think they're breaking up Wardlow and MJF too soon.

My one criticism would be that they're really overdoing the distracted ref stuff and it's coming across as pretty stupid. That said, it's kind of a minor quibble when compared to all of the ridiculous #### WWE does to insult the intelligence of its fans.

I'd give the show a solid 3.5/5. Not their best work but still enjoyable.

Last edited by rubecube; 07-03-2020 at 10:21 AM.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2020, 10:24 AM   #2233
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Good. WWE wasn't using her correctly anyways, she already reached the top of the NXT women's division (the one that counts), and was basically taking injurious bumps from Nia.

Her husband is part of Los Ingobernables in NJPW and one of the best talents in the world. With Bushido Road owning both Stardom and NJPW, I can see Kairi's final wrestling days happening in both rings. I fully expect her to be at Wrestle Kingdom next year and then calling it a career.

Fantastic talent and one of the best elbow drops in the business.

I really loved watching her work and the Insaine Elbow was fun to watch. I really also liked it when she turned away from being the Pirate Queen to her current character.

Becky Lynch, Charlotte and Sane are pretty much gone now.

Really right now, Bayley and Banks are pretty much carrying the woman's division, and they're great. But everyone else has faded a lot.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2020, 10:35 AM   #2234
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Should be noted though that AEW did much better with the 18-49 demo than NXT, which is the number advertisers and networks are most concerned with.

I enjoyed Fyter Fest for the most part. Cody/Hager was what it was. I will say that for as much as he's a pretty bland wrestler, Cody makes up for it in terms of in-ring storytelling and psychology.

I thought Shida/Ford was pretty good and big step forward for the women's division.

MJF/Wardlow vs. JE was good but I think they're breaking up Wardlow and MJF too soon.

My one criticism would be that they're really overdoing the distracted ref stuff and it's coming across as pretty stupid. That said, it's kind of a minor quibble when compared to all of the ridiculous #### WWE does to insult the intelligence of its fans.

I'd give the show a solid 3.5/5. Not their best work but still enjoyable.

Noted, and I think your evaluation is pretty fair it was a solid 3 out of 5 show to me.

I think after watching AEW for a while that WWE was pretty bang on with Cody, he was a guy with upper midcard tools. He's not a top guy or a guy that should be in the upper card consistently. He is a good story teller in the ring, but he doesn't get me fired up to tune him in as a must see TV guy.

Maybe that changes with a heel turn.

I just didn't think all that much about the woman's match. It lacked chemistry and timing, and like I mentioned Shida surprised me because her offense just dosen't look like there's any impact to it, her punches and kicks look soft and pulled and Ford just looked really green and they stood around staring at each other waiting for big moves to hit.

MJF is absolutely fantastic, he's a joy to watch and he's got a real old school mentality to being a heel and he protects that character.

I think AEW has a good midcard roster, and a good lower card roster, and they need to re-adjust it. I think they really do lack in terms of their upper card. Moxley is that guy, but I thought he'd be better and more creative at it, after he showed so much promise especially after leaving WWE after being trapped in mid card hell.

I love Jericho, but at 49 he's fading in terms of his in ring work, I love the idea of him as a mouth piece and or a commentator. He can sell matches like nobodies business. But like I said, he spent a bunch of time feeeding Tony things to react to and all we got from Tony was a fading "Yeah ok". It was awful.

When I watched NXT versus AEW, I just think NXT was the more solid show this week. and has been for the last few.

Old 07-03-2020, 10:42 AM   #2235
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Jericho should be hanging it up soon, although I doubt he will be. Too much payoff for big events. I would love to see him replace Ross on commentary and be a and talent mentor.

Sometimes I think people are getting into Tony Khan's ear about what to do with storylines, and it appears like there is some WWE-style rub off with what's going on with convoluted, non-sensical stuff. Having Colt Cabana in the Dark Order is just really basic script-writing and clearly a "can't see the forest through the trees" situation. Ditto with FTR teaming with the Bucks and being "grey area" heels.

One thing I do like is that the mid-carders have a show to themselves - AEW Dark. Great spot for character trials and seeing what works.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2020, 10:48 AM   #2236
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I agree with you, a lot of the writing does seem to go back to the end of the Bischoff era and start of the Russo era of WCW, where there was never any plan and they were booking on the fly, and there was absolutely no filter final say.

I've always said that the biggest killer of a company is having active wrestlers booking or writing. I also think that Khan wants to be seen as his own version of VKM, and he's writing a lot of this stuff, and its just in a lot of ways nonsense, or inside jokes to amuse the boys.

Personally with that mid card, and even that lower card. I would keep the story lines as simple as possible, I would also try to remove the temptation of 8 million story lines a night. There's almost so much happening that it becomes confusing.

They really need a filter in the booking committee. I'm still convinced that they should spend as much money as possible on getting a Paul Heyman there in a back stage role. The stuff that he was doing on Smackdown with elevating the lower mid card guys was starting to pay off when he was tossed.

I took a script writing class years ago, and one of the words of advice is, if you're laughing at your own writing, its probably too inside and nobody will get it. This is AEW right now.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2020, 10:55 AM   #2237
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

I think you nailed it. AEW is trying to do too many inside jokes, and basically trying to create a "meme" brand where everything can be trivialized and laughed at. Chuck and Trent getting driven to the arena by Chuck's mom is funny but is very limiting in terms of character elevation - something that Breezango suffers from too. Even the Hangman Page "drinking" bit is just meme stuff. The Bucks are all about the memes.

I honestly don't know who would be best to come in and do some script/story/character adjustments and set them on a focused path. My brain still keeps going back to Ryan Ward if he was available - simply because of the quality of Smackdown during that 2016 run. It felt fresh, focused, and matches had a big stakes feel.

I really hope Tony Khan isn't writing scripts because I am confident he is the kind of dude to laugh at his own jokes and wants to see it play out on TV. Him and the creative team should work with the wrestlers to suggest their own character directions and work those into palpable storylines that constrains craziness or non-sensical. I have a feeling MJF probably has a ton of suggestions for his character and runs it by Tony/Cody all the time. His character seems to be on the best trajectory forward.
Old 07-03-2020, 12:40 PM   #2238
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Cornette has talked about Khan being the lead writer for AEW right now, which is a bit crazy.

On another Woman's note, I think Shayna is pretty much done as Vince ordered her pulled from TV because he doesn't get the MMA fighter in wrestling thing, which is just stupid because she was a great heel and a great brutal worker.

So now we've seen Charlotte, Sane, Becky and Shayna out, and we're seeing Nia Jax getting a mega push. I'm a big fan of the woman's division, but its just terrible right now outside of Bayley and Banks. Though I love the Iconics and I'm a big fan of Alexa Bliss.

But the Woman's Revolution feels like its winding down except in NXT.

Shayna would be absolutely devastating in AEW BTW.

Old 07-03-2020, 12:50 PM   #2239
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
I think you nailed it. AEW is trying to do too many inside jokes, and basically trying to create a "meme" brand where everything can be trivialized and laughed at. Chuck and Trent getting driven to the arena by Chuck's mom is funny but is very limiting in terms of character elevation - something that Breezango suffers from too. Even the Hangman Page "drinking" bit is just meme stuff. The Bucks are all about the memes.

Eventually when you create this two dimensional predictable characters that are there to get a joke or meme over, people tune them out no matter how good a worker they are.

You know who played that Chuck and Trent concept brilliantly was Mikey Whipwreck in ECW and his work with Mick Foley. It was one of my favorite character builds.

Basically he was completely hapless and would spend a bunch of time getting beaten up, and then pull out a fluke win.

Mikey's promo's were brilliant because he's start talking tough and then pause and go white and say "Who am I kidding, I'm going to get killed, my mom didn't want me in this business" Then he'd start crying, it was so good.

Quote:
I honestly don't know who would be best to come in and do some script/story/character adjustments and set them on a focused path. My brain still keeps going back to Ryan Ward if he was available - simply because of the quality of Smackdown during that 2016 run. It felt fresh, focused, and matches had a big stakes feel.

Wards a good name, Tom Cosiello was pretty good with NXT. Brian Gewirtz would be a great name for AEW but I think he's pretty attached at the hip to the Rock.

Quote:
I really hope Tony Khan isn't writing scripts because I am confident he is the kind of dude to laugh at his own jokes and wants to see it play out on TV. Him and the creative team should work with the wrestlers to suggest their own character directions and work those into palpable storylines that constrains craziness or non-sensical. I have a feeling MJF probably has a ton of suggestions for his character and runs it by Tony/Cody all the time. His character seems to be on the best trajectory forward.

Like I said it sounds like Khan is pretty much the head writer on that committee right now. I think that maybe he listens to the wrestlers especially on the booking committee maybe too much, and he doesn't have someone saying, "That idea is ####ty", or stop and breath.

I mean the guy that really should know better is Arn, who's been around as a producer with every company, but they've even taken Arn, who was one of the greatest promo guys ever and a great performer who understands the business and I don't feel like they use him at all.

Old 07-04-2020, 01:08 AM   #2240
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Btw, anyone else giggle a little a bit every time Brian Cage does his "Who better than Brian Cage?" bit? I just yell "Kanyon!" every time he does it.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post: